Using the Capgeek Armchair GM, what would your 2015-16 team look like?

Tedeward

Jan 24, 2014
Philly
I may be dreaming a bit but this is mine. All new players in bold.

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Evander Kane ($5.250m) / Claude Giroux ($8.275m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Matt Read ($3.625m) / Sean Couturier ($1.750m) / Jaromir Jagr ($4.500m)
Michael Raffl ($1.100m) / Scott Laughton ($0.863m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
4th Liner thats not Rinaldo ($1.000m) / Pierre-Edouard Bellemare ($1.000m) / Jason Akeson ($0.700m)
DEFENSEMEN
Samuel Morin ($0.894m) / Braydon Coburn ($4.500m)
Mark Streit ($5.250m) / Andrew MacDonald ($5.000m)
Shayne Gostisbehere ($0.925m) / Francois Beauchemin ($6.000m)
GOALTENDERS
Steve Mason ($4.100m)
Ray Emery ($1.000m)
BUYOUTS
Daniel Briere ($0.000m)
Ilya Bryzgalov ($0.000m)
LTIR
Chris Pronger ($4.941m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2015-16)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,957,500; BONUSES: $1,208,333
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $5,042,500

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The fantasy one where we somehow trade Vinny, Umberger and Grossmann for picks without retaining any salary.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Vinny for a late first to a team that needs a 2C. Umberger and Grossmann maybe for a late 1st/early 2nd + 3rd?

None of those guys are fetching those types of returns.

Umberger specifically just went for a bad contract & a 4th round pick not that long ago & likely has had his stock drop even more (it was horrible to begin with).

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Either way, we should hopefully try to get picks for them.

Are there any teams that needs a 2C? Maybe just buy out Umberger and try to trade Grossmann for a 3rd or a 4th?

RJ8812*

Obviously, but I doubt there are any GMs out there that are willing to just take on their full cap hit without sending a contract back.

We will probably have to buy out Umberger, but it most likely won't happen until 2016.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Either way, we should hopefully try to get picks for them.

Are there any teams that needs a 2C? Maybe just buy out Umberger and try to trade Grossmann for a 3rd or a 4th?

Teams are always looking for top six centers, problem is Vinny's not much of one anymore. He can also block any move which limits the market even more.

Hextall's going to have another hard time unloading him this offseason let alone getting good value for him. If he can get a mid round pick without retaining salary that would be a massive win for the Flyers.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
FORWARDS
Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m) / Claude Giroux ($8.275m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Brayden Schenn ($2.500m) / Sean Couturier ($1.750m) / Matt Read ($3.625m)
R.J. Umberger ($4.600m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($4.500m) / Michael Raffl ($1.100m)
Daniel Winnik ($1.300m) / Scott Laughton ($0.863m) / Pierre-Edouard Bellemare ($1.000m)
Zac Rinaldo ($0.850m)

DEFENSEMEN
Michael Del Zotto ($3.500m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Nick Schultz ($1.250m)

GOALTENDERS
Steve Mason ($4.100m)
Thomas Greiss ($1.000m)

BUYOUTS
Daniel Briere ($0.000m)
Ilya Bryzgalov ($0.000m)

LTIR
Chris Pronger ($4.941m)

BONUS OVERAGE
$0

SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,682,500; BONUSES: $712,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,317,500

Bolded are the moves we make.

Morin I feel is making the team whatever given how close he has been 2 years in a row.

Only player shipped out is Grossmann. For a mid round pick.

Give Ghost and Hagg another year then trade Dmen accordingly. Or if they blow the AHL away trade guys mid season.

That 4th line is the best in the NHL...

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
FORWARDS
R.J. Umberger ($4.600m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($4.500m) / Michael Raffl ($1.100m)
Daniel Winnik ($1.300m) / Scott Laughton ($0.863m) / Pierre-Edouard Bellemare ($1.000m)
Zac Rinaldo ($0.850m)

DEFENSEMEN
Michael Del Zotto ($3.500m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Nick Schultz ($1.250m)

GOALTENDERS
Steve Mason ($4.100m)
Thomas Greiss ($1.000m)

BUYOUTS
Daniel Briere ($0.000m)
Ilya Bryzgalov ($0.000m)

LTIR
Chris Pronger ($4.941m)

BONUS OVERAGE
$0

SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,682,500; BONUSES: $712,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,317,500

Bolded are the moves we make.

Morin I feel is making the team whatever given how close he has been 2 years in a row.

Only player shipped out is Grossmann. For a mid round pick.

Give Ghost and Hagg another year then trade Dmen accordingly. Or if they blow the AHL away trade guys mid season.

That 4th line is the best in the NHL...

Why not bring up Hagg before Morin? Isn't he far more polished at this point? Seems like Hagg would be a better fit in the NHL as Morin might have room to grow in the AHL.

Not sure I understand your line choices. Why not go MDZ-Coburn and Morin-Schenn? Also, wouldn't PEB be a better fit on Vinny's line to replace Umberger's spot? Seems like PEB would make that line more passable with another speedy option on the wing.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Why not bring up Hagg before Morin? Isn't he far more polished at this point? Seems like Hagg would be a better fit in the NHL as Morin might have room to grow in the AHL.

Not sure I understand your line choices. Why not go MDZ-Coburn and Morin-Schenn? Also, wouldn't PEB be a better fit on Vinny's line to replace Umberger's spot? Seems like PEB would make that line more passable with another speedy option on the wing.

Just going off what the organisation likely do... I think they put Morin in before Hagg. I think they are both ready next year but only one plays regularly.

Yeh, the D pairings I would not want MDZ-Schenn together! The ones you suggest are better.

The bottom 6 is tricky due to Vinny. Swapping PEB and Umberger would make sense... but Umberger plays better on the left, and tbh I just want Laughton with PEB/Raffl and a guy like Winnik... it would be chaos to match against. I still have no idea how Winnik went so cheap... 'hometown' factor? He is such a great player.

Klinkhammer is another UFA 4th liner I would like to see us pursue. Should be ~800k-1M and is such a solid hockey player. He is really underrated by Coyotes fans as A: Their top 6 is steaming **** and they expect points from him, B: He is not a stereotypical 4th liner... doesn't PK too much but plays a solid two way game and can bring grit and offence. But we don't really need more PKers so he is pretty good for us! Would prefer Winnik though x10.

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Morin's a much more physical force out there than Hagg. The Flyers defensemen have had struggles clearing the porch & handling a forcheck over the years, two areas where Morin can likely excel at. I think that's going to be his ticket into the lineup next year.

I also don't think the Flyers are really concerned with Morin's offensive game developing down in the minors. Hextall said something to the effect that he wanted Morin to focus on his defense going forward since he's going to add more value on the defensive side of the game at the pro level.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Still think Vinny to Nashville is a possibility. Mike Riberio, Mike Fisher, Olli Jokinen, Matt Cullen are all free agents at the end of the year. They could use a guy to center their third line for the next three years.

Timmy P said they wanted us to pick up two years of salary to take him on. Next year he has a salary of 4.5, 3, and 3. That's more reasonable for team with a strict budget. If need be we can retain 1 million. 1 million is better than 4.5 on the cap.

Maybe hold the 2.5 million in bonuses in Vinny's contract for a trade? We pay the bonus while the team pays his NHL salary. That would cover 2.5 of the 10.5 million he has left on actual salary.

Last edited:

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
2015-16 Flyers

FORWARDS
Pierre-Edouard Bellemare ($0.600m) / Scott Laughton ($0.863m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m)
Michael Raffl ($1.100m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($4.500m) / R.J. Umberger ($4.600m)
Jason Akeson ($0.575m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Michael Del Zotto ($2.500m) / Braydon Coburn ($4.500m)
Shayne Gostisbehere ($0.925m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Nick Schultz ($1.250m) /

GOALTENDERS
Steve Mason ($4.100m)
Ray Emery ($1.000m)

BUYOUTS
Daniel Briere ($0.000m)
Ilya Bryzgalov ($0.000m)

LTIR
Chris Pronger ($4.941m)

------
(estimations for 2014-15 crunched using simulation date of 2014-11-10)
SALARY CAP: $68,655,000; BONUSES: $2,208,333
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $3,166,667

The only transaction of note is moving Grossmann. I'd like to see more (ie, one of Lecavalier or Umberger), but I just don't think that is realistic. I'm torn, too, on resigning Del Zotto, since I crave (like most here) having more than just Gostisbehere making the move to the big club. But the 2nd and 3rd pairings are all but locked up with Streit, MacDonald and Schenn. The only way out would be Coburn - Streit on the top pairing, MacDonald - Morin, and Schenn - Ghost.

I wouldn't mind Del Zotto walking. I'm not sold on him at this point, and him playing to the level that Hextall should want him long-term means pricing himself out of what Hextall should be paying, even as an RFA. I'd say that a 1-year deal for him is reasonable, but looking at Del Zotto beyond this would have to mean moving MacDonald or Schenn. Or really tossing the season this year and taking a great return on Coburn, which is very dicey moving into next season without arguably the best first-pairing option presently on the roster.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
If the cap doesn't go up much, I think it is a pipe dream to think Lecavalier, Umberger, Grossmann, or L. Schenn will be traded even with salary retained for Umberger and Lecavalier.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
If the cap doesn't go up much, I think it is a pipe dream to think Lecavalier, Umberger, Grossmann, or L. Schenn will be traded even with salary retained for Umberger and Lecavalier.

I saw all the worry about the cap not going up after Garrioch's article but I think it will still improve based on the new tv deal with sportsnet. The GM meetings are going to happen so as well I believe and they will get a better feel for the number around there that they are expecting.

Umberger is here I think to stay. Vinny to Nashville is a possibility. Watch Dallas as well, off to a not so hot start even with Spezza he might be willing to leave for free agency. Florida can also use another scoring center as well and were rumored interested in him before. With only 3 years left and 10.5 in actual salary I think Vinny is moved this year and we might not need to retain all that much salary.

I think Grossmann, Schenn, or Coburn are moved this year either at the deadline or the draft. Coburn is more of a draft situation I think but his market would be high. Grossmann I would just hope to get a 2nd from a team at the deadline that is looking for defense.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
This years free agency group is pretty dismal. There is probably three defenseman worth taking a shot at. Beauchemin, Ernhoff, and Sekera are the three you would like to target as a GM I think. Beauchemin I don't think is leaving Anaheim and Ernhoff can't sign an extension until after January 1st with the Pens. Sekera is going to get so much attention his price tag will dramatically rise. If Hextall is true to his word, I don't think he is going to target any defenders on the market unless he really retools the defense in a major way. Morin will almost for sure be on the team next year and Ghost could be coming back closer to January or February next year. Hagg also has the potential to steal a spot from someone. We have three young defenseman that have the potential to get considerable time next year(Ghost now being the least likely with the injury). He shouldn't jam up the line with hefty contracts so they can't bring these kids up when they are ready.

Just another add, Boychuk is a player I would love to add. He could come in at a price tag of 5 million or so but if we were able to sign him I wouldn't be mad at trading Coburn.

Last edited:

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013
I think Grossmann, Schenn, or Coburn are moved this year either at the deadline or the draft. Coburn is more of a draft situation I think but his market would be high. Grossmann I would just hope to get a 2nd from a team at the deadline that is looking for defense.

That's a huge turnover on D. Who's going to pick up the slack, Schultz, MDZ and a prospect?

Streit-MacD
?-?
?-?
?

Scary stuff!

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
That's a huge turnover on D. Who's going to pick up the slack, Schultz, MDZ and a prospect?

Streit-MacD
?-?
?-?
?

Scary stuff!

I didn't mean all of them. Maybe two of them. Coburn, no matter what anyone here says, is always linked in rumors. Where there is smoke there is fire. If the Flyers put Coburn on the market we could really get a hefty return. If Hextall is looking to retool the defense, he has players who could be moved.

Morin is almost a sure lock next year. I don't know if they intend to re-sign MDZ yet as well so he has to continue his good play as of late. If he does continue that though he is looking to go somewhere in the 3 million range more than likely.

If we move Grossmann and Schenn we then have Morin, Coburn, MDZ(assuming he is re-upped), Streit, MacDonald for our blue line next year. We would need a 6th and 7th then. Coburn getting moved out has to make sense, we would need to have something lined up for his minutes to be replaced. I have a funny feeling he was part of the deal the Flyers were discussing with Winnipeg for Kane. We are always rumored to be interested in Bogo as well. It could have been a major trade that feel apart at the last minute.

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013
I didn't mean all of them. Maybe two of them. Coburn, no matter what anyone here says, is always linked in rumors. Where there is smoke there is fire. If the Flyers put Coburn on the market we could really get a hefty return. If Hextall is looking to retool the defense, he has players who could be moved.

Morin is almost a sure lock next year. I don't know if they intend to re-sign MDZ yet as well so he has to continue his good play as of late. If he does continue that though he is looking to go somewhere in the 3 million range more than likely.

If we move Grossmann and Schenn we then have Morin, Coburn, MDZ(assuming he is re-upped), Streit, MacDonald for our blue line next year. We would need a 6th and 7th then. Coburn getting moved out has to make sense, we would need to have something lined up for his minutes to be replaced. I have a funny feeling he was part of the deal the Flyers were discussing with Winnipeg for Kane. We are always rumored to be interested in Bogo as well. It could have been a major trade that feel apart at the last minute.

I don't really get this. Isn't Bogo a similar player to Coburn? Why trade a younger Coburn+ for an older one?

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Morin is almost a sure lock next year.

Why? Hextall has said he is going to be patient and Morin hasn't even had a trial period with the Flyers. Hopefully the phantoms make the playoffs and he can get some AHL time this year, but saying he is a sure lock is a little premature.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I don't really get this. Isn't Bogo a similar player to Coburn? Why trade a younger Coburn+ for an older one?

I think it was part of a bigger deal. Kane was close to hear. It might not have been. Bogo is a player I really liked before but I lost some of that love with his inconsistency issues. Bogo is locked up long term and much younger than Coburn, if there is a chance to get a player like that you do it. He has more potential as well. Winnipeg, according to reports, are taking calls on everyone. They have won a few in a row so these rumors will die down for sometime but when Pavs reverts back to being a terrible goalie, they will start again. The team has been together for a while now and haven't made any progress like they should have. They have been patient but it seems like its might be running thin. Winnipeg is a team to watch this year if they fail to make the playoffs again.

Why? Hextall has said he is going to be patient and Morin hasn't even had a trial period with the Flyers. Hopefully the phantoms make the playoffs and he can get some AHL time this year, but saying he is a sure lock is a little premature.

Flyers were looking to move a defenseman according to Bobby Mac who is one of the most respected insiders in the game. Hextall said he is willing to be patient but they were extremely impressed with him that they were looking to make room for him on their roster. Morin, if he comes out and has another strong camp and preseason next year, will be on the team.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
B/c we can have a little fun with it.

FORWARDS
Pierre-Edouard Bellemare ($1.000m) / Scott Laughton ($0.863m) / Jason Akeson ($0.750m)
Zac Rinaldo ($0.850m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($5.750m) / Mark Streit ($5.250m)
Michael Del Zotto ($1.300m) / Braydon Coburn ($4.500m)
Samuel Morin ($0.894m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Brandon Manning ($0.735m) /

GOALTENDERS
Steve Mason ($4.100m)
Ray Emery ($1.000m)

------
(estimations for 2015-16)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,868,000; BONUSES: $712,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $3,582,000

Apparently I found teams to take AMac and Grossmann, pretty sweet if you ask me.

I went ahead and signed M. Staal too.

RJ8812*

No one wants MacDonald. We're stuck with him and Vinny for a few more years (at least)

Grossmann is really the only on I can see being traded this summer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad