Using the Capgeek Armchair GM, what would your 2015-16 team look like?

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
We almost moved Vinny at the draft twice, once to Florida and once to Nashville. The deals fell through though. MacDonald is a 27 year old defenseman who plays 23 minutes a night at 5 million. He is not a number one but is a top 4 defender who was sought after by teams like Boston and I believe Colorado at the deadline. Toronto was also interested in him as well. Even at 5 million, we will soon see players worse than him passing his salary with the cap growing and free agency.

MacDonald could be moved, there are plenty of teams searching for defense but at his number it's a deal that generally would get done during the off season.

RJ8812*

The deals fell through for Lecavalier because there were much better options available.

As for MacDonald, he's over paid for what he brings to the table. He's a #5 defenseman that can step up into a top 4 role, but not for long. He'll struggle if you keep him there for a long time. No team is going to take him on his contract unless we retain salary

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
The deals fell through for Lecavalier because there were much better options available.

As for MacDonald, he's over paid for what he brings to the table. He's a #5 defenseman that can step up into a top 4 role, but not for long. He'll struggle if you keep him there for a long time. No team is going to take him on his contract unless we retain salary

One deal fell through because he was rumored in the package for the first overall pick. Tallon strongly considered our offer but in the end declined. Nashville deal fell through because they wanted us to retain more money than Hextall was willing(1 million per year). This year, Nashville might be willing to take on that contract with their centers all being free agents at the end of the year.

These is not a single third pairing dman in the NHL that plays 22 minutes constantly. I don't know how people keep saying he is a #5, he isn't, he is a top 4. There just isn't anyway around that. He has his faults but he is also a good skating defenseman who can move the puck. The hate for MacDonald comes from corsi and we have seen our GM personally say he views analytics but they are a small piece of the puzzle. People on HF and twitter like to account it as a large part of the puzzle which GM's do not do.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Pontus Aberg ($0.781m) / Claude Giroux ($8.275m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Brayden Schenn ($2.500m) / Sean Couturier ($1.750m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Pierre-Edouard Bellemare ($1.000m) / Scott Laughton ($0.863m) / Matt Read ($3.625m)
Michael Raffl ($1.100m) / Nick Cousins ($0.812m) / Taylor Leier ($0.780m)
Zac Rinaldo ($0.850m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Andrew MacDonald ($5.000m) / Braydon Coburn ($4.500m)
Samuel Morin ($0.894m) / Mark Streit ($5.250m)
Robert Hagg ($0.925m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Mark Alt ($0.782m) /
GOALTENDERS
Steve Mason ($4.100m)
Thomas Greiss ($1.250m)
BUYOUTS
R.J. Umberger ($1.600m)
Nicklas Grossmann ($1.167m)
Daniel Briere ($0.000m)
Ilya Bryzgalov ($0.000m)
LTIR
Chris Pronger ($4.941m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2015-16)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,627,950; BONUSES: $1,102,933
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $9,372,050

Trade Vinny to Nashville for Aberg and a 4th. Buy out Umberger and Grossmann. Re-sign PEB and bring on Greiss as the back up.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Grossmann doesn't need to be bought out. Douglas Murray got two 2nd rounders last year at the deadline, Grossmann is the better of the two. Grossmann could be traded, it's just are the Flyers willing to let him go?

Laughton is a good pick for our third line center postition but we need to get Vinny out of here first. I think Vinny for Stalberg could be a deal that happens. Hextall might not want to take a player back but it might be his only way without retaining salary. We save 1.5 million in room and 1 less year.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Grossmann is super replaceable. Hagg or Alt could do his job just fine, and both could do it better too.

I just put him and Umberger like that just to show we have a lot of room if we buy them out.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Grossmann is super replaceable. Hagg or Alt could do his job just fine, and both could do it better too.

I just put him and Umberger like that just to show we have a lot of room if we buy them out.

Once Hagg or Alt prove they are NHL players, then we can say they can do what Grossmann does or even better. Right now, Grossmann is here for a reason while Hagg and Alt get seasoning in the AHL.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
One deal fell through because he was rumored in the package for the first overall pick.Tallon strongly considered our offer but in the end declined. Nashville deal fell through because they wanted us to retain more money than Hextall was willing(1 million per year). This year, Nashville might be willing to take on that contract with their centers all being free agents at the end of the year.

It was reported that Wayne Simmonds was the deal breaker.

Grossmann doesn't need to be bought out. Douglas Murray got two 2nd rounders last year at the deadline, Grossmann is the better of the two. Grossmann could be traded, it's just are the Flyers willing to let him go?

Murray wasn't signed for another year. If there's concerns about the cap potentially not going up I'm fairly confident Grossmann won't be going anywhere until the summer at the earliest.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
With Grossmann's slowness and bad decision making in his own zone, is he an effective NHL player anymore?

I think both are overstated. Grossmann is effective when he keeps his game simple and moves the puck quick. Yes, he isn't fleet of foot but needs to rely on positing to keep the play in front of him or to the corners. He isn't the best defender but he is beat like a dead horse around here to often. I would love to move him but don't think he is a liability on the ice. Hagg and Alt would need to prove they are not liabilities before we can move a defender to find a spot for them. Grossmann also plays the most on our team shorthanded. Coburn when healthy will take that back but these are minutes that just aren't replaced by calling up players.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
It was reported that Wayne Simmonds was the deal breaker.

Murray wasn't signed for another year. If there's concerns about the cap potentially not going up I'm fairly confident Grossmann won't be going anywhere until the summer at the earliest.

A team who has cap space could afford to trade for Grossmann. I do agree he is a player you trade in the summer when he has one year left but that frees up the space. Teams like Anaheim or Colorado could use a guy like Grossmann. Off season is definitely the better time to move him though which still gets the job done, which is opening up a roster spot for a younger player(Morin is the best best)

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Unless they get their doors blown off by an offer, I don't see any reality that involved trading MacDonald. They just traded for him and signed him long term within the last calendar year. Unless Hextall suddenly plans on entering a rebuild, A-Mac isn't moving.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Grossmann doesn't need to be bought out. Douglas Murray got two 2nd rounders last year at the deadline.

It was 2 seasons ago and Murray was a UFA at the end of the year. That matters. I love it that fans want to get rid of all the overpriced garbage on the team and expect someone else to take it. Grossmann and L. Schenn are 3rd pairing defensemen making $3.5 against the cap. Nobody but the Flyers pays that much. You can get a guy like Schultz at half the cost to perform that role or as other stated give it to a rookie. Nobody is taking Lecavalier. Nobody wanted him last summer without getting picks and or retained salary and he looks worst this year. Do you think the demands of other teams will go down now. Same goes with Umberger. Unless the Flyers are willing to part with picks or prospects to move salary, nobody is doing them any favors. Why would they?

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Unless they get their doors blown off by an offer, I don't see any reality that involved trading MacDonald. They just traded for him and signed him long term within the last calendar year. Unless Hextall suddenly plans on entering a rebuild, A-Mac isn't moving.

I'd be quite fine with dealing MacDonald, especially if he could bring back an early 2nd round pick in the upcoming draft. He tops out as a good 2nd-pairing defender who moves the puck well. Given the length of his contract and the number of quality prospects vying for a spot as early as next season, I'd see it as a plus to open up his spot for the competition. Plus, with the downward trending Canadian dollar putting the brakes on projected cap increases, MacDonald's cap hit through the contract life takes on more importance.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It was 2 seasons ago and Murray was a UFA at the end of the year. That matters. I love it that fans want to get rid of all the overpriced garbage on the team and expect someone else to take it. Grossmann and L. Schenn are 3rd pairing defensemen making $3.5 against the cap. Nobody but the Flyers pays that much.

Andrej Meszaros - $4.125m
Mark Fayne - $3.625m
Brad Stuart - $3.6m
Ladislav Smid - $3.5m
Rob Scuderi - $3.375m
Clayton Stoner - $3.25m
Andrew Ference - $3.25m
Derek Engelland - $2.917m

Last edited:

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Andrej Meszaros - $4.125m
Mark Fayne - $3.625m
Brad Stuart - $3.6m
Ladislav Smid - $3.5m
Rob Scuderi - $3.375m
Clayton Stoner - $3.25m
Andrew Ference - $3.25m
Derek Engelland - $2.917m

Like Grossmann and L. Schenn, those guys weren't signed to be 3rd pair defensemen. Do you think teams are lining up to get those contracts now?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Stoner and Engelland definitely were. Anaheim and Calgary had at least four better defensmen when they signed them. And Calgary traded for Smid just to play him on the third pair last year.

Claiming that only the Flyers have expensive players on their third pairing is just ignorant. I found eight others in just a few minutes on capgeek.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Stoner and Engelland definitely were. Anaheim and Calgary had at least four better defensmen when they signed them. And Calgary traded for Smid just to play him on the third pair last year.

Claiming that only the Flyers have expensive players on their third pairing is just ignorant. I found eight others in just a few minutes on capgeek.

I stand corrected. Edmonton and Calgary have expensive crappy players on the 3rd pair. Great company for the Flyers to be in with the two teams nobody wants to play for in Alberta Canada and thus have to overpay just to get free agents to come there.

Mezz gets top 4 minutes, Stuart averages over 19 minutes a game, same with Ference. Scuderi, whom the flyers tried to sign, and Fayne have been free agent bombs. Calgary is run by Mr. Truculence Brian Burke. Out of those defensemen only 3 get less minutes than L. Schenn's 16:55 a game; Engellend, Smid, and Fayne by 5 seconds. Stoner and Scuderi each get less than Grossmann but the rest of that lot get more ice time a game. And that is with injuries forcing Grossmann's and L. Schenns minutes up.

In a league that is desperate for defensemen, according to McKenzie, the Flyers have been trying move Luke Schenn for 2 years and Grossmann at the start of this year. Sergei Gonchar just got moved yet the Flyers are stuck with those two, although they have probably stopped trying to trade them with all the injuries.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Meszaros is 4th in D TOI/G on the worst team in the league. He's third pairing at best on almost any other team in the league.

Stuart is 5th on the Avs in TOI/G has zero points and is -4. A 35 year old, $3.6 million third pairing dman.

Injuries haven't increased Grossmann's ice time, they have increased the quality of the opposition he has faced - 3rd highest on the Flyers defense.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat...+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67

He got more ice time last year (19:06) when the Flyers D was fully healthy than he has this year (18:53). Ference and his 19:12 of TOI/G is much more of a third pairing dman than Grossmann is - he's only 6th in Corsi Rel QoC.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat...3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67#

If 29 year old Clayton Stoner can get a 4 year, $13 million from a supposedly smart team like Anaheim then I don't buy the notion that there would be no interest in Grossmann or LSchenn with one year left on their contracts.

Last edited:

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
You become a good team by drafting and that's what Philadelphia should stick too.
No more big trades. Just some minor moves to get some over paid bums out of here.

Trade Grossmann for a 3rd/4th at the deadline.
Trade Lecavalier and to a team needing a centerman for anything.
Offseason.
Sign Mike Green.
Re-sign Emery 1 year.
Trade 2016 1st , 2017 2nd, Luke Schenn,Zac Rinaldo to Winnipeg for Kane.

Kane/Giroux/Voracek
Raffl/Couturier/Read
Simmonds/Laughton/Schenn
Umberger/Bellemare/Akeson
Cousins

Streit/Green
MacDonald/Hägg
Morin/Coburn

Mason
Emery

Ad

Upcoming events