Proposal: Using Schmaltz to move Saad?

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I think the Sens could be an ideal trade partner.

Schmaltz + Saad

for

Duchene + Dzingel

(plus whatever small adds for balance)

Top 6:

DeBrincat-Toews-Kahun
Dzingel-Duchene-Kane

Sens are also desperate for a 1st so we could get more out of them if we don't mind giving up ours.

Reactions: BHFAN92

migi

Feb 25, 2015
It's really not that bad but the fact is that Duchene probably is going to hit the jackpot of his contracts and will demand +7 million. Quite easily.

Can we afford him and get the Bread back too?

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
They think would rather have picks/prospects.
Chicago receives:
Duchene (extended)
Dzingel (extended with hometown discount)
Pageau

Ottawa receives:
Schmaltz
Saad
Manning
Rutta
Krys
2019 1st

djeck42

Jan 26, 2011
Chicago receives:
Duchene (extended)
Dzingel (extended with hometown discount)
Pageau

Ottawa receives:
Schmaltz
Saad
Manning
Rutta
Krys
2019 1st

I think Duchene sees how overpaid free agents are and is fine waiting til the offseason and gets an overpaid contract. If it is somehow under 7 mil, I'd be all for that trade. Although seeing as Ottawa is slashing salary as much as possible, they'd make us keep Rutta and Manning. Ottawa management is pretty horrible, but they gotta know they can get a big package for Duchene and/or Dzingel. I am all for shedding all those on the Hawks side including 1st round picks to get the cap room for panarin. Just my take

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
How about moving Schmaltz for Duchene straight up

Sens should do it because they know he wont sign longterm and they can get young player in Schmaltz back. Hawks should do it so we have an actual center for Kane and worry about signing him longterm later

One thing is clear Schmaltz is guy you bridge contract not a guy you pay big money to be part of core

I assume we would require a cap dump to make it possible to do 1 for 1 trade or need to convince Sens to take someone from us

I imagine moving Saad to Sens is not viable as Melynk wont want to pay a player of his caliber that much (Along with Ryan) while Sens are rebuilding

Last edited:

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
How about moving Schmaltz for Duchene straight up

Sens should do it because they know he wont sign longterm and they can get young player in Schmaltz back. Hawks should do it so we have an actual center for Kane and worry about signing him longterm later

One thing is clear Schmaltz is guy you bridge contract not a guy you pay big money to be part of core

I assume we would require a cap dump to make it possible to do 1 for 1 trade or need to convince Sens to take someone from us

I imagine moving Saad to Sens is not viable as Melynk wont want to pay a player of his caliber that much (Along with Ryan) while Sens are rebuilding

I thought you were crazy in the offseason for saying we shouldn’t sign Schmaltz long term for big money, now I’m on the fence.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Look...Schmaltz was "expected" to take the "next step" both I'm production and in the 2C role...so far the early returns from this season are not showing he has taken any further elevation to his game...the flaws are still being repeated...cannot win draws...poor in his own end...too soft...and worst of all the inability to show he can be relied on for goals ....pass up shots and a very average shot when he does shoot ...it is just too many flaws to swallow especially for the $5.5 to $6.5 per yr cap hit extention folks were guessing the Hawks would give him to lock him up cheap before he exploded into some kind of superstar..OK. .not quite...at least "syar" level then if $6 million makes one automatically a "star"..but if you are getting current version Saad per $6 big ones as your cost certainty..then $6.0 for Schatz with all his as yetvunditchrd flaws is just as preposterous gamble ...let alone $6.8 for a way past it Seabs ..

There is NO WAY Stan should offer anything more than a bridge deal till Schatz proves he can be relied von to star more or less on a consistent basis with production plus defensive responsibility and Effectiveness ...till he does that he has not EARNED any hefty raise...
..period.

6GP ...Zero goals ...4assists and just even in tyrnplus/minus. .one can call this "meh" at best ..He has to do a lot better to get big bucks and so trading this "uncertainty" for either something g more reliable for the 2VC is a great idea ...if that removes Saad and his $6.0 in the deal even better. ..

Whether Ottawa would do that deal without Bobby Ryan being included...I do not know..but throw in Anisimov +Murphy and give us their 2020 first rounder + a 2021 2nd and I would then take Ryan less $1 million per retained by Ottawa ...If the 2020 Ottawa first was a ton. ..then we should have the option on it and give them back our first rounder if it is a pick below theirs ...

To sum up...they give us Dzingel,Ryan ,Duchesne a 2020 1st conditional + a 2021 2nd ...for Saad Schmaltz ANISIMOV AND Murphy ... (fat lto any of these guys are doing for us currently....Anisimov is I believe Ufa after next season. ..and Saad after the season after that
.so Sense would not have lenthy comics to them ..The condition on the first rounderc (2020) would be if that oick lands in the top 5 we must give them our own later first round pick ..but if after the 5th overall then we get the puck without having to also give back our own first that year.However our first rounder is earlier than their top 5 pick then we give them our 2020 2nd and our 2021 first back...

So if they really want Ryan off their hands I would do it just to get a chance at possibly getting 2 top 5 2020 first rounders..

Yes we would be stuck with Ryan (at a $1 million per yr discount off his cap hit)for still a lengthy number of years ..but hey that is nothing new for us. .maybe we can even Hossa LTIR him at some point ..

But hey... if they fear losing Dzingel and Duchene anyway and want Ryan out..Maybe such a deal would be acceptable for them ...

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
The only reason Schmaltz has been at C this long is because there are literally 0 decent C's after Toews.

If we had Duchene, Schmaltz could move to W, or be a 3rd line C.
This is the seeming eternal shortcoming of the current era. Any semblance of a reasonable 2C hasn’t been found for any length of time. Toews has been left out to dry all these years. The Hawks used to have a bevy of great centers, from the sixties through the mid nineties. Only one the past 12 years.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
If we can dump Saad and take little to no cap back, we can make a push for 1 of Duchene or Panarin

Panarin-Anisimov-Kane

or

Schmaltz-Duchene-Kane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad