Proposal: Using Schmaltz to move Saad?

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
This is the seeming eternal shortcoming of the current era. Any semblance of a reasonable 2C hasn’t been found for any length of time. Toews has been left out to dry all these years. The Hawks used to have a bevy of great centers, from the sixties through the mid nineties. Only one the past 12 years.
We've been drafting high end D the past couple years which was also in need of replenishing.

Now that we've got our stock of D, we should focus on that center position. Jake Wise is a likely 2C, but I wouldn't mind drafting someone like Ryan Suzuki this year for added assurance.

Reactions: BHFAN92

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I don't know if I would want to sign Duchene to what it would take to get him as a UFA, much less trading Schmaltz and Saad to get him.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I just don't get the split up Schmaltz and Kane thought process like any other line is going to do anything for Schmaltz...and no, you don't touch Cat - Toews - Kahun at all.

The problem is both Schmaltz and Kane are similar players that like to control the puck, globe trot around and find the open man...welp, really hasn't been any open man on their line as Saad couldn't stay there and if they are finally getting it, putting AA or Hayden there is what is missing. They need that bigger body to crash the net and open up the space for these two. The problem isn't Kane and Schmaltz, the problem is finding a player that can fit on that line - we have two of them right now - AA and Hayden...I am firmly confident if they leave AA on that line, points will start to come immediately.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I just don't get the split up Schmaltz and Kane thought process like any other line is going to do anything for Schmaltz...and no, you don't touch Cat - Toews - Kahun at all.

The problem is both Schmaltz and Kane are similar players that like to control the puck, globe trot around and find the open man...welp, really hasn't been any open man on their line as Saad couldn't stay there and if they are finally getting it, putting AA or Hayden there is what is missing. They need that bigger body to crash the net and open up the space for these two. The problem isn't Kane and Schmaltz, the problem is finding a player that can fit on that line - we have two of them right now - AA and Hayden...I am firmly confident if they leave AA on that line, points will start to come immediately.
that has been my take since last yr and i was butchered for that.....

someone break it down, his assists the most came from whom ???
goals the most came from whom >>> meaning who gave him the assists ??

granted some came from the Kane line, but what else.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Anisimov is going to do a lot for the Kane line. Please just watch how this works out before making any judgements. Schmaltz and Kane NEED a guy like that on the line with them. He brings everything to the line that they don't.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Moving either right now would be epic stupidity. You would be selling low on not one player, but TWO. Just stop.

Reactions: BK

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Ok what have we learned so far from trading young promising players? (Danault, TT, Panarin)

Don’t #%€%’n do it...

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
Terrible idea, 6 games into the season and people are giving up on Schmaltz who has yet to play 2 full seasons in the NHL.

Nick Skille will find his game like last year when the team is out of contention.

Trade him now before other GM's catch on.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
TT and Bread were cap related. Danault is average but yeah we did lose that trade big time.

Panarin was cap related? If anything it put the Hawks in more cap trouble.

TT was cap related sure but a stupid move non the less, it was one year remaining in a 4 mill (3 burried) Bickell contract, Stan over paid big time simple as that and if it wasn’t for his previous poor decisions it wouldn’t have been needed to be done.

Danault is average? Look up his production relative to his cap and then tell me he is average. Danault would be an incredible 3rd line center on this team, these guys don’t come through very often...

Anyway that wasn’t the point of my initial post, I am just saying don’t trade Schmaltz because we will most likely regret it.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
If it's a Danault kind of trade then I agree.

You are telling me you dont think the TT and Panarin trades were huge mistakes?

Also the trade you proposed doesnt make sense as both of those players you listed are UFA at the end of the year which means big bucks. Hawks are not cup contenders so that will not even help this year. You are pretty much just dumping Saad's contract for the cost of Schmaltz which will be a mistake that was brought on by the big mistake of Panarin for Saad which is apparently a trade that you think was necessary and made for cap reasons?

Last edited:

Ace Rothstein

Aces High
Mar 13, 2012
YSOY.gif

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Not sold on this pay Duchene a ton of money train. Think somebody will regret giving him 8m per. He’s not in that elite category, more in the very good. If we’re gonna go after a big name just spend the extra 1-2m more, kick Manning off the roster and get Panarin or take the 8 and pay Stone who would fill a need at 1RW and be a good fit for the JT line. If they sign Panarin they can re-unite the party line and bump Schmaltz to 1RW where he showed good chemistry with Toews in the past.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
So do you believe we should still be chasing for a bona fide 2C, and move Schmaltz to wing or 3C for the long term?
We should always be looking to improve in any area. It all depends on how much a guy like Duchene is looking for. Do I want to go after a #2C that may prevent us from improving the Blueline? No. But if we can make it work and keep young guys like Debrincat and Schmaltz, I'm for it. I don't think we should sacrifice either of those players to bring in a top forward, nor should we bring in another top forward at the expense of the D.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad