Proposal: Using Schmaltz to move Saad?

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Agree. There’s no reason to not try it. Especially if he is flying around and taking the puck away like crazy now that he’s back on the wing, as @Callidusblackhawk said.

Schmaltz should make that line better, and it gives Toews two legitimate top-6 players as linemates again. Something I’ve wanted to see since Hossa’s decline.

It'll don on Q one day.... perhaps. We all know how long it takes (if ever) for the HC to do the obvious.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
No way.

Schmaltz scored 52 pts as a 21 yr old last season.

Ya, nobody is in favor of doing this trade.

This should be more of a discussion about where he best fits in the lineup, and how much his next contract should be worth.

There's no reason to trade him unless he comes in demanding $7 million a year, but I can't see a world where that happens.

Reactions: BobbyJet

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Ya, nobody is in favor of doing this trade.

This should be more of a discussion about where he best fits in the lineup, and how much his next contract should be worth.

There's no reason to trade him unless he comes in demanding $7 million a year, but I can't see a world where that happens.
yeah, unless he destroys the league the next 50 games, Schmaltz should be had for around $4.5-5.5 max per year...and that is wonderful for us to have even more cap for next year and towards Cat the following year...

the plan is working, make sure Schmaltz struggles this year so his contract demands are low only to see him destroy the league next 5 years!!lol

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
From a balance POV, Hawks should give Schmaltz his own line for duration of season. He’s been a better player being the most talented on his line.

DeBrincat-Toews-Kahun
Saad-Anisimov-Kane
Fortin-Schmaltz-Sikura
Kampf-Kruger-Hayden
Kunitz

Keith-Jokiharju
Gus-Seabrook
Forsling-Murphy
Manning-Davidson

Crawford
Ward

Waive Rutta

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Let's move both of them if we can..

Schmaltz for all the books and has he provides is just 1g 6a -4 in 12GP

Saad has beaten a goalie only twice in 12GP and that was in 1/12 games.

These are top 6vforwards? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

P-poor production.

From 2 guy already earning $6.0 and the other guy needing an extention after ELC end at the end of this season and posters to this board were saying sign him.long term 8 yrscat $6.5 t9 $6.0 cause he wouodcenergecas a star and this would be cheap

But now ...?Both are producing like turds. ..

Let us cutvthecrpescon both and being in guys for the bucks that actually can pump in more goals to 5he level the bucks justify.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Yes let's move a 22 year old top 6 winger who scored 50+ points last season and plays a game that is built for the new NHL. We should trade DeBrincat for someone who has size but lacks speed while we are at it. The level of stupidity in this idea is on the same level as Marty McSorley two handing someone in the head.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Yes let's move a 22 year old top 6 winger who scored 50+ points last season and plays a game that is built for the new NHL. We should trade DeBrincat for someone who has size but lacks speed while we are at it. The level of stupidity in this idea is on the same level as Marty McSorley two handing someone in the head.
yep, Tampa should have been looking at moving Stamkos too...1g 4a in 10 games up until last night - bum.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Well how much is D-Cat worth when he extends? OR Schmaltz when he extends?

For Schmaltz that decision has to come during this season ...because if they leave negotiations till between seasons he is RFA ...in that case if some team is crazy enough to offer sheet him for $6million per..sayonara take the picks...If the Hawks give him $6.0 for 6 or more they are crazy..He has failed as a Center prospect...has 1 goal and 7 a and -4 in13GP and that is p-pore for any gamble on a $6 for 6 or 8 ...

SHOW ME The PRODUCTION minus any coattails from riding with Kane..Is his "talent"really that productive ..is he NY kind of "difference-maker "or just a guy who tantalize bit never impacts that much ?Show me to justify the big bucks outlay..

I think we must just extend a bridge deal for much smaller bucks till he proves he can reach his expected ceiling.

Look anyone can ride coattails with Kane and improve his production impact. .The real issue is to justify one's own talent can drive a line or make a difference.

If he holds out and will not take a bridge for a prove it to us extention in a shorter period of 3 more seasons or 3 more seasons then better we trade him
.better we spend the big bucks on a proven Ufa points producer who has and can still make a difference.

Schmaltz was expected to take the "next step" this season. ..so far hardly stepping up to the forecasted role. .Even if a fail as a C,he must now prove as a winger that giving him a big bucks deal is worth the gamble ...
So far not showing we should gamble a big contract on him..

We should not "settle" for his "potentual"...it is put up time if he expects to get the bog $$$..

If he is going to step up...a 1 goal in 12GP pace is not the way to go...

As for Saad and his "steeping down".....only 1 game of 12 has he scored goals I'm. ..for $6.0...It looks like money wasted..But once he did get off the Schneid with his 2 goal game ,we thought the old Man-Child was back..however back to going MIA for beating hoaliesxagain since..So again must prove he is back on a consistent basis...can he provide goals on this road trip?If he goes to zeroes again over next 3 games then he starts looming like that albatross again..

So these. Ate 2 players who cannot afford any MIA games on this road swing.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Well how much is D-Cat worth when he extends? OR Schmaltz when he extends?

For Schmaltz that decision has to come during this season ...because if they leave negotiations till between seasons he is RFA ...in that case if some team is crazy enough to offer sheet him for $6million per..sayonara take the picks...If the Hawks give him $6.0 for 6 or more they are crazy..He has failed as a Center prospect...has 1 goal and 7 a and -4 in13GP and that is p-pore for any gamble on a $6 for 6 or 8 ...

SHOW ME The PRODUCTION minus any coattails from riding with Kane..Is his "talent"really that productive ..is he NY kind of "difference-maker "or just a guy who tantalize bit never impacts that much ?Show me to justify the big bucks outlay..

I think we must just extend a bridge deal for much smaller bucks till he proves he can reach his expected ceiling.

Look anyone can ride coattails with Kane and improve his production impact. .The real issue is to justify one's own talent can drive a line or make a difference.

If he holds out and will not take a bridge for a prove it to us extention in a shorter period of 3 more seasons or 3 more seasons then better we trade him
.better we spend the big bucks on a proven Ufa points producer who has and can still make a difference.

Schmaltz was expected to take the "next step" this season. ..so far hardly stepping up to the forecasted role. .Even if a fail as a C,he must now prove as a winger that giving him a big bucks deal is worth the gamble ...
So far not showing we should gamble a big contract on him..

We should not "settle" for his "potentual"...it is put up time if he expects to get the bog $$$..

If he is going to step up...a 1 goal in 12GP pace is not the way to go...

As for Saad and his "steeping down".....only 1 game of 12 has he scored goals I'm. ..for $6.0...It looks like money wasted..But once he did get off the Schneid with his 2 goal game ,we thought the old Man-Child was back..however back to going MIA for beating hoaliesxagain since..So again must prove he is back on a consistent basis...can he provide goals on this road trip?If he goes to zeroes again over next 3 games then he starts looming like that albatross again..

So these. Ate 2 players who cannot afford any MIA games on this road swing.

Based on what we're seeing right now, my prediction is $4.5-$5 million for Schmaltz over 4-6 years.

$7-$8 million for DeBrincat over 6-8 years.

(Edit: rationale for DeBrincat's number is based on Gaudreau's 9.25% of the cap when he signed. 9.25% of a roughly $82 million cap is $7.585 million. I think DeBrincat will make an argument that he's as valuable as Gaudreau after next season, as long as this rise to stardom continues.)

(Second edit: Even if the Hawks counter and say he's only worth Pastrnak money, that's still 8.89% of the cap. That'd be a $7.29 AAV based on an $82 million cap.)

Last edited:
Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Based on what we're seeing right now, my prediction is $4.5-$5 million for Schmaltz over 4-6 years.

$7-$8 million for DeBrincat over 6-8 years.

(Edit: rationale for DeBrincat's number is based on Gaudreau's 9.25% of the cap when he signed. 9.25% of a roughly $82 million cap is $7.585 million. I think DeBrincat will make an argument that he's as valuable as Gaudreau after next season, as long as this rise to stardom continues.)
I think we all need to get used to the fact that Cat is going to get paid...Everything about him is still just scratching the surface. his overall play has improved, his playmaking ability has as well - though last game was one of his worst with giveaways...

at this point, I am pretty comfortable thinking Cat gets $7mil plus for 6-7 years...I do not see him signing a deal under 6-7 years either, why would he?? very few others are...

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I think we all need to get used to the fact that Cat is going to get paid...Everything about him is still just scratching the surface. his overall play has improved, his playmaking ability has as well - though last game was one of his worst with giveaways...

at this point, I am pretty comfortable thinking Cat gets $7mil plus for 6-7 years...I do not see him signing a deal under 6-7 years either, why would he?? very few others are...

Ya, I think we're seeing a guy who is getting at least $7 million in his next contract. If he hits 40 goals before his next deal, that number could be higher.

Neither Gaudreau nor Pastrnak hit 40 goals before their ELC ended, DeBrincat potentially has two chances to do it.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I doubt Schmaltz signs long term at 4.5-5M. He'll sign a short term deal at that amount, but he's gonna bet on getting better so he can get a bigger contract.

Cat's next contract will be 8 years. Probably at 9M.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I doubt Schmaltz signs long term at 4.5-5M. He'll sign a short term deal at that amount, but he's gonna bet on getting better so he can get a bigger contract.

Cat's next contract will be 8 years. Probably at 9M.

If he hits 40 goals this and next year, I wouldn’t doubt DeBrincat asks for that.

Schmaltz may want shorter term, but then I’d think you’d have to drop that price on him too.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Give Cat the Tarasenko deal.

The crazy thing is DeBrincat could have better numbers at the end of his ELC than Tarasenko did. If he signs 8 years at $7.5 million, that could end up being a steal.

Tarasenko signed for 10.27% of the cap. Translating that to an $82 million cap, you're looking at at least $8.4 million.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
If he hits 40 goals this and next year, I wouldn’t doubt DeBrincat asks for that.

Schmaltz may want shorter term, but then I’d think you’d have to drop that price on him too.

I would be ok with 6 x 6 for Schmaltz. Debrincat, whatever it costs, it costs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad