Proposal: Using Schmaltz to move Saad?

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
It depends on his role with the team moving forward. He's not good enough to be a 2C and playing with Kane has a negative effect on both of them. So unless Schmaltz can play 1RW, Kane moves to 1RW or Schmaltz is fine with being paid 3C money, he doesn't fit in the system.

Schmaltz’s floor is a good second line winger. A center that puts up around sixty points - which is where I see Schmaltz ending the year - isn’t just a #2C but a damn good one.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Schmaltz’s floor is a good second line winger. A center that puts up around sixty points - which is where I see Schmaltz ending the year - isn’t just a #2C but a damn good one.

Ya, there are very few people who think Schmaltz isn’t a good 2C.

It’s that his no shooting and his non-physical style doesn’t compliment Kane’s game well.

Reactions: BobbyJet

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Schmaltz would be great with a winger that plays a more physical game, and who likes to shoot a lot but isn’t great at being the primary puckhandler.

Basically a motivated 2015 Saad type.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Ya, there are very few people who think Schmaltz isn’t a good 2C.

It’s that his no shooting and his non-physical style doesn’t compliment Kane’s game well.
I think he's much better suited for the wing. Unfortunately we have no centers to fill that 2C spot which is the only reason he's there. Wise can't come soon enough!

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
We have been using young talent is trades to get rid of bad contracts, now we are seriously lacking quality young talent. Stop giving away promising young players to try and make up for past mistakes, thereby making even more mistakes.

Suck it up with Saad and hope he turns it around.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
We have been using young talent is trades to get rid of bad contracts, now we are seriously lacking quality young talent. Stop giving away promising young players to try and make up for past mistakes, thereby making even more mistakes.

Suck it up with Saad and hope he turns it around.

There's no way Schmaltz would be used to move Saad. It's much more likely to retain on Saad than to move him with Schmaltz.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I think he's much better suited for the wing. Unfortunately we have no centers to fill that 2C spot which is the only reason he's there. Wise can't come soon enough!

I still think he can be a good playmaking center with wingers that support his game. I think him playing with Kane hurts Schmaltz because Schmaltz zeros in on and force passes to Kane instead of using his vision to hit the open man.

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
Any move we make right now would be an overreaction to an interesting start of the season. I would wait a while before making any serious moves. Might as well waive manning soon since it looks like forsling could be back shortly

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

Why do you think this? Honest question.

Aside from his 40% FO.

Last edited:

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Why do you think this? Honest question.

Aside from his 40% FO.
Face off is a large part of it. That's your responsibility as a center so if you can't handle it, move to the wing. I think it also gives him more space away from Kane to do his thing. He also doesn't drive to net or create any screens in front. He's the kind of player that roams around which I think is more suited for the wing.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Face off is a large part of it. That's your responsibility as a center so if you can't handle it, move to the wing. I think it also gives him more space away from Kane to do his thing. He also doesn't drive to net or create any screens in front. He's the kind of player that roams around which I think is more suited for the wing.

Schmaltz does create screens but in a movement sense. He will never be AA but his movement in the zone through the lanes creates natural screens.

Kuznetzov sucks are draws but makes it work. This is just one of many examples.

If Schmaltz can get to 44-46% it will not be an issue.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Pretty humorous the mainboard treats Saad’s contract as some pure cap dump and the Hawks have no other option but to buy it out. I get that he hasn’t been good in Chicago but the idea that teams wouldnt be interested in a 25 year old 2 time cup winner with multiple 30 goal seasons at say half retained is laughable.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Schmaltz does create screens but in a movement sense. He will never be AA but his movement in the zone through the lanes creates natural screens.

Kuznetzov sucks are draws but makes it work. This is just one of many examples.

If Schmaltz can get to 44-46% it will not be an issue.
We'll just have to see how things progress this year. I think he's just 2C because he has to be. Once a suitable replacement comes, he'll be on the wings.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Pretty humorous the mainboard treats Saad’s contract as some pure cap dump and the Hawks have no other option but to buy it out. I get that he hasn’t been good in Chicago but the idea that teams wouldnt be interested in a 25 year old 2 time cup winner with multiple 30 goal seasons at say half retained is laughable.
for me this yr is, am i am hoping here, a rebound yr for Saad.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
now that Kahun is coming down to earth, i think it is time to give that 1st line a jolt of some kind. now move Schm to that line as a winger for Toews.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
now that Kahun is coming down to earth, i think it is time to give that 1st line a jolt of some kind. now move Schm to that line as a winger for Toews.

Agree. There’s no reason to not try it. Especially if he is flying around and taking the puck away like crazy now that he’s back on the wing, as @Callidusblackhawk said.

Schmaltz should make that line better, and it gives Toews two legitimate top-6 players as linemates again. Something I’ve wanted to see since Hossa’s decline.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
For me I prefer him on wing because it seems like he forces more turnovers from that position. He's been flying around taking the puck from people like a maniac since he's been moved to wing. I would love to see him on the Toews line now that it has cooled off.

Makes sense but playing center allows for more opportunity to use that turnover forcing ability. I am more that fine with him playing with Cat and Toews on the wing though.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad