U18: USA: 2019 WJC18

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Is Caufield a common surname? Never heard it before.

How about Caulfield? Is that a common surname? What the hell is going on

I can pretty well guarantee the Oilers will accidentally draft the wrong one.

Both are good players. I think Caulfield will play in the NHL.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I know Coach Wroblewski's a big believer in shuffling lines for development purposes and that's fine. But is it really necessary in their pinnacle event? There's not a lot of chemistry between any of the guys right now and you can certainly understand why. They're getting by on talent but it's the main reason this team has "struggled" recently in my opinion.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Rainmaker

Apr 15, 2017
7-2 and you have a chance to bury the Slovaks yet you give up two shorties on the same PP :eek:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Hughes much better this game. On the other hand, Boldy being invisible. Caufield's really good, by the way.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Hughes much better this game. On the other hand, Boldy being invisible. Caufield's really good, by the way.

Boldy has four points too. Only thing is that they let Slovaks score way too many goals because they think game was over and they can just score more goals.

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
Am I silly for thinking that this U18 team could be better than the USA Olympic team from last year?

yeah pretty silly. U18 would get destroyed by a men's team even though in last Olympics NHL was not participating but still there were players from KHL for example. Goalie also would sweep the floor with a junior goalie

ijuka

May 14, 2016

Breakup Hughes and Caufield let someone else score.

Yeah this goal, somehow it's "turcotte and boldy" as the assists, which is wrong. It's a clear primary assist by Caufield. Hopefully it'll be changed and Caufield doesn't get the assist robbed off him.

What is with Boldy's phantom assists, anyway? They awarded one of Caufield's assists to Boldy and they also awarded one of Turcotte's assists to Boldy.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Some bad habits in that game, especially on defense. No one on the back end had a good game. Rowe was ok, but unlike Knight he's not good enough to bail out his defense when they're playing like that.

The top forwards sure are having fun.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Rowe always manages to give up a lot of goals, and not play bad hockey. I don't think the defense always plays well in front of Knight, but they play much worse in front of Rowe.

The defense still isn't very good. York is the only one through two games who hasn't had a bad game. All the others have, and York nearly handed Slovakia a goal yesterday, as well, so the defense on this team isn't very good.

Offensively, its mostly a four player mix, and that'll become five when Zegras returns. I think that Beecher and Farrell are going to be important offensively towards the latter parts of the tournament. We might need some secondary scoring eventually. There are a lot of passengers though between Gildon, Moynihan, Beniers, Lindmark, although Lindmark did play very well yesterday. Lafreniere had 6 points in 5 games at Benier's age, while Lundell had 6 points in 7 games. Beniers has played pretty high in the lineup with some of our best players, and has been touted as a potential very early pick in 2021. It would be nice if he could show some of his talent because outside of one play, he's added nothing and doesn't yet have a point.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Rowe always manages to give up a lot of goals, and not play bad hockey. I don't think the defense always plays well in front of Knight, but they play much worse in front of Rowe.

The defense still isn't very good. York is the only one through two games who hasn't had a bad game. All the others have, and York nearly handed Slovakia a goal yesterday, as well, so the defense on this team isn't very good.

Offensively, its mostly a four player mix, and that'll become five when Zegras returns. I think that Beecher and Farrell are going to be important offensively towards the latter parts of the tournament. We might need some secondary scoring eventually. There are a lot of passengers though between Gildon, Moynihan, Beniers, Lindmark, although Lindmark did play very well yesterday. Lafreniere had 6 points in 5 games at Benier's age, while Lundell had 6 points in 7 games. Beniers has played pretty high in the lineup with some of our best players, and has been touted as a potential very early pick in 2021. It would be nice if he could show some of his talent because outside of one play, he's added nothing and doesn't yet have a point.
I think you're expecting too much from Beniers. He should not be compared to Lafreniere or Lundell, those two are on another level from Beniers. They are Top 3 of their class potential players, Beniers at best, i think most agree, is late 1st round. I don;t think anyone from the U17s is expected to go in the top half of the first round, and I still think most would say Bordeleau and Smilanic were, and are the better prospects. Yes, they're older than him, but I don't think Beniers promotion was because he is some super prospect blowing the barn doors off. His role was to replace Danny Weight, add a little more scoring, and they felt he was best suited to fill the type of role they were looking for. And since I think he has fulfilled the bar of being better than Weight. Lafreniere and Lundell are not the right comps for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad