U18: USA: 2019 WJC18

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
We've now lost in the final of the last three major junior tournaments we've played in.

The good news here is that we are huge favorites in the U18 category this year.

Some potential lines:

Kaliyev-Hughes-Zegras
Boldy-Turcotte-Caufield
Farrell-Smilanic-Rolston
Gildon-Beecher-Caulfield
Moynihan

York-Thrun
Kleven-Warren
Vlasic-Helleson
McCarthy

Knight
Rowe
?

Forward lines are great. That top 6 has six first rounders. Many of those guys should be high first rounders. We have barely seen Hughes, Zegras and Turcotte all in the same lineup this year, so it'll be interesting to see how they split those three up, but the smartest option seems to be putting Hughes with Zegras. I'd put Zegras at center and Hughes at wing, but Hughes is the best player on the team, so thats not happening. The few times those three have all been in the same lineup this year, Zegras on Hughes wing has seemed like a common pairing. Turcotte with Caufield seems to be another pairing that we've seen some of. I'd also throw Boldy on that line. I wouldn't want to put Kaliyev on a line where he might get worse zone starts. Boldy is better equipped for that and Kaliyev is better equipped on the better offensive line.

Rolston and Farrell compliment each other as the third line wingers. We could really do a lot worse than those two as the third line wingers. The role of the 17's forward that gets promoted is probably best suited as the center on this line. Fourth line is a pretty effective checking line, in my opinion. I'd rather have someone like Brink, Bordeleau or Donovan as the 13th forward, but its more likely they give that role to one of the lesser forwards thats already in the program. Brink is unlikely to be available, anyway, as Sioux will qualify for the USHL playoffs.

Defense isn't terrible, but the weakness of the team. There are no good right shots. York-Thrun are the two best defensemen. Do we put them on the same pairing or split them up? I say put them together and give them good zone starts. Let Warren play on the shutdown pairing with Kleven. I think those two could be a decent pairing, if Kleven is capable of playing against older players and getting tough matchups. I'm not sure the rest of the options are great. Vlasic is passable, but not if he has to carry around Helleson or McCarthy, neither of which can properly cover where he struggles.

Goalies will be a big strength. Knight was good last year and should return as the best goalie at the tournament. Rowe might be the next best goalie at the whole tournament, so we have a good back up. I wonder what they'll do for the third goalie role. Last year it was the player who was the back up to DeRidder prior to Knight's promotion. This year the two 18's goalies are the 1 and 2 here. Wolf's WHL team is going to make the playoffs, so he doesn't seem like an option. If the NTDP team doesn't make the USHL playoffs, which they might not, they could promote Commessso last minute.

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
A few teams have deep 01s group such as Finland , Sweden. Russia also have a few high quality players but I think US is the team to beat. Up front they are stacked and have great prospects on all positions. Unfortunately for Canada many top players might miss due to CHL playoffs.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Pronman's saying Turcotte might not play. I guess that evens it up with Kakko not playing for Finland, but that Finland team has a lot of talent. I think its going to be hard for us to win this tournament. It would help a lot if we get Kaliyev or Robertson, but we haven't heard anything about that yet, so I doubt they'll all of a sudden appear on the roster at the last second.

Potential lines without Turcotte:

Beniers-Hughes-Caufield
Boldy-Zegras-Rolston
Farrell-Beecher-Moynihan
Gildon-Lindmark-Caulfield
Slaggert/Smilanic

Potential lines with Turcotte:

Zegras-Hughes-Caufield
Boldy-Turcotte-Beniers
Farrell-Beecher-Rolston
Moynihan-Lindmark-Caulfield
Gildon

Reactions: AmericanDream

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
They're about a week late announcing the roster as they announced on April 4th the last two years, so it's likely coming this week, especially as the team has already left for Sweden. Even if they're waiting to see if Turcotte can play they should still announce the roster and only register 12 forwards so they can replace Turcotte if needed.

I can't see how Rolston is still on the roster. He's been down with the U17s for 4 straight games and just played with them on 4/6. If he was targeted for the U18 tournament, he'd have been preparing for it with the U18s.

I'd also be surprised if Smilanic or Slaggert are getting called up. The U18s haven't played since March 30th and Smilanic has played 3 games with the U17s after that. If they were planning on calling him up, he would have instead been with the U18s preparing for the tournament. Slaggert hasn't dressed for the last 3 U17 games. I'm not sure if he's injured, although I guess it's possible he joined the U18s and has been practicing with them, although that seems the unlikelier scenario. Smilanic (3/30) and Slaggert (3/27) have each only played 1 game with the U18s and both were sent back down to the U17s after their one game stints. It would be unprecedented for an U17 to get their first call up in the last couple of U18 games, get one game and get sent back to the U17s, and then still get a spot at the U18 tournament. It'd be unprecedented for an U17 to make the U18 tournament roster with just one of those conditions, let alone all three.

Never say never with USAH, but if they need to add 1-2 forwards with Kaliyev and Robertson both available and they opt for good but not great or elite U17 players from a pedestrian U17 team, it would be one of the most egregious USAH blunders of all time.

The U17s play tomorrow, so barring injury we'll know if they're dressed that they're not going to be on the tournament roster, even if USAH doesn't announce the roster.

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
USA probably brings in Farinacci again...would be nice to see Bobby Brink here but that is doubtful. Kaliyev and Robertson just sitting there as well, losing Turcotte would be a huge loss, hopefully we pick up 1-2 of these guys to bring here.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Pronman's saying Turcotte might not play. I guess that evens it up with Kakko not playing for Finland, but that Finland team has a lot of talent. I think its going to be hard for us to win this tournament. It would help a lot if we get Kaliyev or Robertson, but we haven't heard anything about that yet, so I doubt they'll all of a sudden appear on the roster at the last second.

Potential lines without Turcotte:

Beniers-Hughes-Caufield
Boldy-Zegras-Rolston
Farrell-Beecher-Moynihan
Gildon-Lindmark-Caulfield
Slaggert/Smilanic

Potential lines with Turcotte:

Zegras-Hughes-Caufield
Boldy-Turcotte-Beniers
Farrell-Beecher-Rolston
Moynihan-Lindmark-Caulfield
Gildon

Did Pronman say if it's injury or illness?

Turcotte not named, but Slaggert is on team. Sigh.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Slaggert named. No Turcotte. No Kaliyev or Robertson. USAH egregiously incompetent once again.

2 roster spots (1 skater, 1 goalie) available.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Slaggert named. No Turcotte. No Kaliyev or Robertson. USAH egregiously incompetent once again.

2 roster spots (1 skater, 1 goalie) available.

1 skater to be added is probably Turcotte assuming he gets healthy. 1 goalie spot is either Wolf (if Everett gets bounced from playoffs) or Commesso (if U17's get bounced). Not a huge issue since Knight will play all games I assume. Turcotte is a huge loss if he is out.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
CAPTAINS NAMED Jack Hughes (Orlando, Fla.) is the U.S. National Under-18 Team captain, with assistant captains Matt Boldy (Millis, Mass.), Cole Caufield (Stevens Point, Wis.), Alex Turcotte (Island Lake, Ill.) and Marshall Warren (Laurel Hollow, N.Y.). “

Cool beans

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
CAPTAINS NAMED Jack Hughes (Orlando, Fla.) is the U.S. National Under-18 Team captain, with assistant captains Matt Boldy (Millis, Mass.), Cole Caufield (Stevens Point, Wis.), Alex Turcotte (Island Lake, Ill.) and Marshall Warren (Laurel Hollow, N.Y.). “

Cool beans
so....Turcotte is wearing a letter from the press box??

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't think there would be much reason to hold the extra skater spot open. If we were going to add one of the non-NTDP guys, they would've added that player instead of Slaggert. The only other thing I can think of is that one of the defensemen could be injured, and there might be a defensemen on standby.

Otherwise, it seems clear that they are hoping that Turcotte recovers from his illness in time. The captain thing doesn't appear to be anything new. Those are the players who've warn letters all season. If Turcotte wasn't going to play and the intern who writes for USA Hockey was aware, they could've not included him in that article, but I don't think there was any new development with the letters.

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
It is shocking that US Hockey left Kaliyev out. Specially after Turcotte is sick. I understand that NTDP mostly get selected but you also have to go all in and pick player like Kaliyev if he is available. Losing Turcotte and Kaliyev is huge hit for this team.
I get that the USNDP gets the honor of representing the US at a number of tournaments, but the u-18 is a bit more than just that, this is also THE showcase tournament for our draft eligible kids. USA Hockey has to show more care and want to help other top names more consistently than they do with this tournament. Like others have said, there is zero reason why Kaliyev cannot be here, zero. A tournament like this only helps his draft profile if he plays as well as many of us feel he could. Just because a number of these kids played well at the Hlinka doesn't mean that should be their only shot, that tournament was ages ago and scouts probably have forgotten much about it.

Kaliyev has been heavily scouted same with Robertson throughout the season so it isn't the end all be all, but it sure as hell would be nice for USA Hockey to maybe mend some wounds/open some bridges with CHL Americans by saying every u-18 we will hold 2-3 spots open IF there are any US players deserving and available to join from the CHL/USHL/Prep/whatever..I think that would go a long way to bringing more kids into the fold instead of just be thankful we gave you the Hlinka in the fall...sorry for my rant/Go USA!

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
I get that the USNDP gets the honor of representing the US at a number of tournaments, but the u-18 is a bit more than just that, this is also THE showcase tournament for our draft eligible kids. USA Hockey has to show more care and want to help other top names more consistently than they do with this tournament. Like others have said, there is zero reason why Kaliyev cannot be here, zero. A tournament like this only helps his draft profile if he plays as well as many of us feel he could. Just because a number of these kids played well at the Hlinka doesn't mean that should be their only shot, that tournament was ages ago and scouts probably have forgotten much about it.

Kaliyev has been heavily scouted same with Robertson throughout the season so it isn't the end all be all, but it sure as hell would be nice for USA Hockey to maybe mend some wounds/open some bridges with CHL Americans by saying every u-18 we will hold 2-3 spots open IF there are any US players deserving and available to join from the CHL/USHL/Prep/whatever..I think that would go a long way to bringing more kids into the fold instead of just be thankful we gave you the Hlinka in the fall...sorry for my rant/Go USA!

Valid points but you can also make the case that bringing some player in last minute (which all the adds would be since most are playing in their respective league playoffs) isnt an ideal situation either. You would want added players to practice for at least a month and get games in as well. You can just take Kaliyev and pick him up at the airport and give him a jersey and so go at it at that level of tournament and expect a big impact.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Valid points but you can also make the case that bringing some player in last minute (which all the adds would be since most are playing in their respective league playoffs) isnt an ideal situation either. You would want added players to practice for at least a month and get games in as well. You can just take Kaliyev and pick him up at the airport and give him a jersey and so go at it at that level of tournament and expect a big impact.
true, but we have brought in others years past that came from the CHL without issue. some of these kids are eliminated right away from their CHL teams, they can jump in and have a solid week of practice with team USA if the management team wants that. I just don't see that as an excuse either. the only thing I can think of is this specific group is pretty stacked, adding more offensive help likely is an overkill - they are trying to showcase their own guys who have hard some hard times standing out on their own with a crowded field as is. Not saying I agree with that, but seems to be their reasoning here. Next years team would likely add Stranges/Avery Hayes/whoever..not nearly as deep or talented overall compared to this year.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
true, but we have brought in others years past that came from the CHL without issue. some of these kids are eliminated right away from their CHL teams, they can jump in and have a solid week of practice with team USA if the management team wants that. I just don't see that as an excuse either. the only thing I can think of is this specific group is pretty stacked, adding more offensive help likely is an overkill - they are trying to showcase their own guys who have hard some hard times standing out on their own with a crowded field as is. Not saying I agree with that, but seems to be their reasoning here. Next years team would likely add Stranges/Avery Hayes/whoever..not nearly as deep or talented overall compared to this year.

Makes sense. Team is loaded and has great chemistry. Adding another player to the mix isnt really go to matter in this situation. Every year is probably different and this USA team should rely on the players they currently have on roster IMO. Next year they will probably add some help up front - although I doubt Stranges is added do to the situation last year when he signed with USNTDP and then bolted for London.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
It is shocking that US Hockey left Kaliyev out. Specially after Turcotte is sick. I understand that NTDP mostly get selected but you also have to go all in and pick player like Kaliyev if he is available. Losing Turcotte and Kaliyev is huge hit for this team.

The only subtraction here is Turcotte due to illness and that’s because the 18’s NTDP players go into the season with spots on the WJC18 team. Some won’t be on the team and that’s where we get some 17’s playing in the tournament or CHL/USHL/High School players, but we almost never field our best team. If we did, players such as Kaliyev, Robertson, Brink, Johnson, Brinkman, Wolf would all be on this team.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

I mostly agree, but I also do think a lot of the players who wouldn’t make our best team are going to be helped with their draft stock due to playing with these first round picks. Why do you think the lines have been mixed and matched all season? I think it’s to inflate the point totals off the late round picks on the team and make them into mid round picks.

Also, London is unlikely to be out of the playoffs at this time next year, so I don’t think Stranges will be available for selection.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad