U18: USA: 2019 WJC18

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
But, Kakko is big and strong. :sarcasm:

I think in the shadows of Caufield and Hughes record setting U18, Turcotte and Zegras have done well.

It made sense that Russia would do everything to stop the Hughes line, I am suprised no other line stepped up. This is suppose to be a stack team. :huh:

As mentioned in this thread. US coach made no adjustments. Pulled a “Bylsma 2014” if you will.

Reactions: William H Bonney

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
It's good that the team showed up today and soundly outplayed Canada to bring home bronze. It doesn't change the fact that this year's tournament will always be a massive failure, but it says a lot about their character to finish out the tournament like they did today when you know they're still absolutely gutted inside.

Hughes was electric today. I'm glad he was able to break Ovi's all-time U18 points record, although he should have at least tied Kucherov's single tournament record as well while Caufield should have broken Ovi's single tournament goal record. I was surprised by the chances Cole missed today, like this one, which are usually automatic:

That play pretty well exemplifies how Hughes stirs the drink for the entire team and shows what he's faced on a nightly basis throughout his 2 years with the NTDP. Hughes gets the puck and immediately all 3 Canadian defenders converge on him leaving one of the greatest junior goal scorers of all time all alone.

While this one ends in disappointment, it will be a lot of fun to watch this core in the NCAA, WJC, and NHL. A lot of players on this team to be excited about.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think too many are being over-critical of this team. They completely dominated this tournament. They only played one game that was close, and that was a game where we probably should've won. We hit 3-4 posts against Russia facing a generational goalie prospect who was completely dialed in. Most often that game ends with the USA winning by at least a few goals.

And the results are problematic. I completely agree with the people that say they aren't good enough. We shouldn't go this many big WJC20 and WJC18 tournaments playing this well, and not being able to win. There might need to be some changes in the coaching and team selection.

Wroblewski made too many decisions to help the draft stock of his players. I would've switched Zegras and Hughes positions on the ice due to defensive contributions, and players such as Moynihan and Gildon had no business being on this team. Lindmark should've been nothing more than a 13th forward who can take face-offs and PK. I don't even understand the reasoning for Beniers playing on this team. He clearly wasn't good enough. I would've liked to see Kaliyev, Robertson added to the team among the forwards. There was also no reason to be using your 4th line in the final minutes of that Russia game. They committed a penalty, and looked shaky. They could've lost us the game there.

The defense also should've had different personnel. McCarthy and Vlasic had no business being on this team. Fensore probably shouldn't have been on it either, and I thought he had a good tournament. Why weren't Kleven, Sanderson, Powell promoted? Johnson and Brinkman could've definitely helped.

I wasn't thrilled with the play of the second line. Brink is too much of a cherry-picker. He added nothing to his line when it wasn't registering a goal or assist. Boldy had a great start to the tournament, and then struggled during the knockout rounds. Turcotte had two bad games against Latvia and Finland, but I thought he was much better in the last two games. He didn't seem to mix well with his line mates though. A lot his points and best plays were on the PP and off the rush. The Hughes line was great, although Caufield's play in the latter games wasn't as good, but its hard to keep up the scoring pace he was on.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
I think too many are being over-critical of this team. They completely dominated this tournament. They only played one game that was close, and that was a game where we probably should've won. We hit 3-4 posts against Russia facing a generational goalie prospect who was completely dialed in. Most often that game ends with the USA winning by at least a few goals.

And the results are problematic. I completely agree with the people that say they aren't good enough. We shouldn't go this many big WJC20 and WJC18 tournaments playing this well, and not being able to win. There might need to be some changes in the coaching and team selection.

Wroblewski made too many decisions to help the draft stock of his players. I would've switched Zegras and Hughes positions on the ice due to defensive contributions, and players such as Moynihan and Gildon had no business being on this team. Lindmark should've been nothing more than a 13th forward who can take face-offs and PK. I don't even understand the reasoning for Beniers playing on this team. He clearly wasn't good enough. I would've liked to see Kaliyev, Robertson added to the team among the forwards. There was also no reason to be using your 4th line in the final minutes of that Russia game. They committed a penalty, and looked shaky. They could've lost us the game there.

The defense also should've had different personnel. McCarthy and Vlasic had no business being on this team. Fensore probably shouldn't have been on it either, and I thought he had a good tournament. Why weren't Kleven, Sanderson, Powell promoted? Johnson and Brinkman could've definitely helped.

I wasn't thrilled with the play of the second line. Brink is too much of a cherry-picker. He added nothing to his line when it wasn't registering a goal or assist. Boldy had a great start to the tournament, and then struggled during the knockout rounds. Turcotte had two bad games against Latvia and Finland, but I thought he was much better in the last two games. He didn't seem to mix well with his line mates though. A lot his points and best plays were on the PP and off the rush. The Hughes line was great, although Caufield's play in the latter games wasn't as good, but its hard to keep up the scoring pace he was on.

Usually I agree with 99.9% of your comments but the loss to Russia was just a hockey game when USA didnt get the bounces and that happens in hockey. As you stated to my account they hit 4+ posts and missed some grade A chances that bounced over sticks, rolled off of sticks. It happens. US is the better team but that stuff happens. Games could have easily been 6-2 win with a few inches of puck luck. Also the acclaim of Askarov is a ton of hype in my opinion - calling him generational talent and the next great russian goalie is something that gets thrown around but Askarov wasnt great this tournament. He gave up 4 vs USA before leaving game in prelims, lost to Sweden twice, got lucky by USA hitting 4 posts and an abysmal shootout effort by USA and then wasnt good in losing yesterday with at least 2 of those goals he should have had. Off angle on first goal giving far side to shooter, got beat clean with a good look on glove side. It was a ripoff that Alnefelt was awarded best goalie in tournament. He won gold, beat Russia twice including a shoutout and had more saves and a better save percentage on a weaker team than Askarov but the hype machine baffles the press/writers instead of what happened in the actual games. The "Russian" hype stuff is pretty funny - Podkolzin who basically did nothing all tournament will probably get picked in top 5 for some reason too.

USA roster was the best in this tournament and they should have won gold. They play that tournament 10 times and USA probably wins 8 times. The roster wasnt the issue - talent was there it was just one of those games at the wrong time. Filling in a team with mercenaries at the end of the season doesnt always equate to being better. Would a few callups from the U17s or Kaliyev or Robertson made a difference? I dont think so.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
USA roster was the best in this tournament and they should have won gold. They play that tournament 10 times and USA probably wins 8 times. The roster wasnt the issue - talent was there it was just one of those games at the wrong time. Filling in a team with mercenaries at the end of the season doesnt always equate to being better. Would a few callups from the U17s or Kaliyev or Robertson made a difference? I dont think so.

What other country rewards guys for sticking it out with the group for a full season? We could lose with the best players or with less than the best players, but I fundamentally believe we should be picking the best players.

I think there needs to be accountability for the lack of results within the full program. I'm not going to blame these players that much because I think they showed over a seven game tournament they were by far the best team, and the format didn't work in their advantage, but I think there needs to be a systematic accountability for the lack of results in big tournaments. If we lose one big game, you can excuse it. We've now lost two finals in a row, and the best team we probably ever put out there at the WJC20 or WJC18 levels didn't win Gold because of a semifinal loss.

Reactions: Dodospice

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
What other country rewards guys for sticking it out with the group for a full season? We could lose with the best players or with less than the best players, but I fundamentally believe we should be picking the best players.

I think there needs to be accountability for the lack of results within the full program. I'm not going to blame these players that much because I think they showed over a seven game tournament they were by far the best team, and the format didn't work in their advantage, but I think there needs to be a systematic accountability for the lack of results in big tournaments. If we lose one big game, you can excuse it. We've now lost two finals in a row, and the best team we probably ever put out there at the WJC20 or WJC18 levels didn't win Gold because of a semifinal loss.

Totally valid comments. I thought the team played well but didnt get it done and thats something to be seriously looked at. One thing to recognize is that a lot of these tournaments the best structured and balanced teams seem to win rather than teams with high end players. Russia and Sweden didnt have a ton of high end players but made the final.

The biggest issue I think is the IIHF needs to get rid of shootouts. Thats beyond ridiculous at this level tournament. Go to a 5x5 20 minute OT, then 4 to 4 for 15 then 3 v 3 and games will end. Shootouts are a joke and tainted the tournament.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->