U18: USA: 2019 WJC18

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I mostly agree, but I also do think a lot of the players who wouldn’t make our best team are going to be helped with their draft stock due to playing with these first round picks. Why do you think the lines have been mixed and matched all season? I think it’s to inflate the point totals off the late round picks on the team and make them into mid round picks.

Also, London is unlikely to be out of the playoffs at this time next year, so I don’t think Stranges will be available for selection.
agree as well, it does help some other names stand out more and possibly get noticed a bit more from the USNDP core..as I said, this is a deep deep team, I can see why they didn't add from the outside just don't really like it is all. I think USA Hockey simply needs to do a better job of inclusion. Whether it be the u-18 or WJC teams, it typically seems it is the CHL Americans that get the short end of the straw..or simply those that did not attend the USNDP in general. I just feel if you at least say we will hold 2-3 spots open per u-18 to see if any non USNDP are worthy/available for this chance it will go a long way in bringing more American kids into the fold and possibly less animosity down the road..maybe I am expecting too much there lol..

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Makes sense. Team is loaded and has great chemistry. Adding another player to the mix isnt really go to matter in this situation. Every year is probably different and this USA team should rely on the players they currently have on roster IMO. Next year they will probably add some help up front - although I doubt Stranges is added do to the situation last year when he signed with USNTDP and then bolted for London.
I am just putting Stranges as a name, but yeah I expect USA Hockey still harbors some ill will towards him where he might not even get a sniff for the WJC team until his final year of eligibility..

Reactions: beaverjc

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Hopefully the U18s can find their game...struggling lately vs international competition. I think they are 2-3 in their last 5. They will need a healthy Zegras and Turcotte so hopefully those guys will be ready to go.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Happy for Turcotte. Those kids are like family and to miss the last games of a two year journey due to injury or ilness would be tough to take.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Lines could look like this

Zegras-Hughes-Caufield
Beniers-Turcotte-Boldy
Farrell-Beecher-Caulfield
Gildon-Lindmark-Moynihan
Slaggert

Those first two lines could be among the best lines in the tournament. I'd switch Lindmark and Slaggert, but I think Slaggert's going to be the 13th forward.

York-Thrun
Vlasic-Helleson
Warren-Fensore
McCarthy

I'd try to match up York-Thrun against top lines. They are the two best defensemen we have. The other two pairs have a babysitter and a guy who can create some offense.

Knight
Rowe

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Lines could look like this

Zegras-Hughes-Caufield
Beniers-Turcotte-Boldy
Farrell-Beecher-Caulfield
Gildon-Lindmark-Moynihan
Slaggert

Those first two lines could be among the best lines in the tournament. I'd switch Lindmark and Slaggert, but I think Slaggert's going to be the 13th forward.

York-Thrun
Vlasic-Helleson
Warren-Fensore
McCarthy

I'd try to match up York-Thrun against top lines. They are the two best defensemen we have. The other two pairs have a babysitter and a guy who can create some offense.

Knight
Rowe
Is Zegras confirmed to play?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

that is good news for Zegras to be on the ice- no need to rush him, he can take the rest of the week to get back healthy if need be.

the name I am hoping steps up a bit more here/gets some more recognition is Beecher. seems like almost a forgotten name on this squad because he isn't as high end as some of the others, but man this kid could turn into a David Backes type. solid in all facets of the game, goes out and does his job, likely goes second round but comes out having one of the better careers for all of these US forwards. I can see it happening with him, his game translates better as a pro IMO.

Reactions: Lays

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I came to this thread to post the same thing.

It has to be an injury to Slaggert or there's a defensemen whose carrying an injury and they are pretty sure that Zegras gets registered early in the tournament.

I guess we'll go with 11 and 7 tomorrow. Double shift Hughes and Turcotte, when needed.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Great perfomance but Hughes have to be better. nro 1 overall you just have to be best player on the ice. Caulfield and Boldy played really well together and Knight was solid. This team is really hard to beat when Hughes is back to his normal level and Zegras is coming back.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't like the blender lines. Enough of trying to get certain players drafted higher.

I thought Boldy, Caufield and Beecher were really good in this game. Turcotte wasn't bad either. Hughes didn't have his best game, but he's too good to not play better in upcoming games.

That first goal was because of how slow Vlasic is. That exact play happens so often that its hard to believe the coach hasn't worked with him on making adjustments in his positioning when we have the puck. He cannot recover in transition. York was excellent, and I also thought Warren and Fensore played very well on the backend.

Knight played as expected.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I wasn't able to catch today's game. Did they give updates on Zegras or Slaggert?

There's obviously concern these guys won't be able to play since they're not registered. It would be monumentally stupid to rely on giving Fensore spot shifts at forward (which I heard they did today) and double shifting forwards for the entire tournament when it's not necessary. The team is going to play a lot of games in short order and they have Kaliyev, Robertson, Farinacci, and now Brink as of last night, among many others, sitting at home.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I wasn't able to catch today's game. Did they give updates on Zegras or Slaggert?

There's obviously concern these guys won't be able to play since they're not registered. It would be monumentally stupid to rely on giving Fensore spot shifts at forward (which I heard they did today) and double shifting forwards for the entire tournament when it's not necessary. The team is going to play a lot of games in short order and they have Kaliyev, Robertson, Farinacci, and now Brink as of last night, among many others, sitting at home.

No update on Slaggert. Zegras has been skating the last few days.

Reactions: William H Bonney

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Is Caufield a common surname? Never heard it before.

How about Caulfield? Is that a common surname? What the hell is going on

I can pretty well guarantee the Oilers will accidentally draft the wrong one.

Reactions: SK94

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Is Caufield a common surname? Never heard it before.

How about Caulfield? Is that a common surname? What the hell is going on

I can pretty well guarantee the Oilers will accidentally draft the wrong one.

Oilers part is gold:laugh:

Zegras is still out.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad