US Open 2020

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Azarenka clobbered Mertens, 6-1, 6-love. Got there just in time for the last point.

Reactions: Elvis P

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Thiem up 4-1 in the first. Complete contrast to the first men's match, 10 break points, 3 of them converted in the first 5 games....Thiem closes it out at 6-1. Kind of a quirky set. Thiem is the better player but he isn't sharp yet.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Thiem is looking a little ragged at the moment.. There is an opening here for de Minaur if he can grasp it.

He can't. For the second time in the second set De Minaur double faults his serve away. Meanwhile Thiem looks like he is sweating away pounds. Don't know what that's about.

Thiem takes the second set 6-2 and easier than the first.

Thiem starts the third set with yet another break and that's my cue to watch the hockey game.

Last edited:

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Thiem is looking a little ragged at the moment.. There is an opening here for de Minaur if he can grasp it.

He can't. For the second time in the second set De Minaur double faults his serve away. Meanwhile Thiem looks like he is sweating away pounds. Don't know what that's about.

Thiem takes the second set 6-2 and easier than the first.

Thiem starts the third set with yet another break and that's my cue to watch the hockey game.
I missed tennis because of the Raps. Can't get into hockey at all.

Reactions: Elvis P and Hadoop

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
No question, Brady has been playing like a demon possessed all tournament. Osaka will have her hands full tonight.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Really clean tennis from both Osaka and Brady so far. I wonder if the lack of fans and media onsite has helped both players here, and possibly the two later combatants as well.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Brady loves to park in the backhand corner and wail away with crosscourt backhands or inside out forehands. She isn't as impressive in the forehand corner. Quite the service game, too.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
This is already the longest set that Brady has played so far in the US Open, 5-5.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Looks like nerves and inexperience at GSs may be Brady's Achilles heel.

Osaka takes the breaker 7-1.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Well, Osaka deserved getting broken there, 5-3 with Brady to serve for the set.

Onto the deciding set. Osaka and a sense of urgency don't go together but Naomi needs to raise her game.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Osaka finally takes control, though not by much. Excellent play from both girls and an exciting match.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Saying I'm rooting for Thiem is probably an understatement.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I'd love to see Medvedev win, but couldn't get too upset if Thiem does.

Azarenka not even competitive in the first four games of the set which Serena takes 6-1, A real snore fest so far.

Not anymore. Vika finally found her game and is up a break 3-2 and feeling it.

She confidently takes the set from Serena behind another break and will serve first in the deciding set.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
In that second set, the years melted away for Azarenka but not for Serena.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
At 1-all in the deciding set, and Vika looking very bouncy, Serena seems to have twisted her ankle and is taking a medical time out. Hmmm.

Play resumes and Vika zips to a 3-l0ve lead which she holds to the end. Serena is out. Azarenka and Ozaka are in the finals.

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I honestly don't know how to feel about this...I'm for Serena breaking the Margaret Court record and she's running out of chances, but I'm also all in on the Vika out of nowhere zombie march back to the top. It'll be tough against Osaka though.

I was at the US Open last year watching Vika and Sabalenka go after each other in the first round, apparently Vika just destroyed her this year though lol.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I think Seren's days as a GS champion are truly over. She is not agile enough to protect her backhand side of the backcourt, leaving about a quarter of the court open. Vika took thorough advantage of that in the last two sets hitting clean winners time and time again into the undefended areas. A seven match run is very likely too much for her now, and that's not going to improve as she gets even older.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I am shocked at Vika coming back like she did. I saw a bit of the first, most of the second and all of the third and am impressed at how she turned it around. They were beating the heck out of the ball.

Also: moms! They are both mothers who actually work as well!!!

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Picking Osaka to win the final, but that was a mother of a match between Serena and Vika.

That'll be my one and only contribution to the mom puns in this thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad