US Open 2020

Say Hey Kid

Gonna get some albums by The Status Quo
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
Novak & Osaka

https://www.usopen.org/en_US/draws/index.html?event=MS I don't think that Djokovic is anything like a lock in the US Open and I don't think Nadal is anything like a lock in the French. So my first prediction is that someone else other than the expected winner prevails in each tournament, though in the case of the French, that someone else may well be Nole. Nobody is match tough yet, so anything could happen. Though he had a tough loss to Bautista-Agut the other day, I'm kind of leaning to Medvedev who has a very good draw. Other possibilities: Thiem, Tsitsipas, Raonic, Dimitrov

On the women's side, I'll take Kenin. Other possibilities: Osaka, Pliskova, Serena. With my record, though, everyone I listed will probably get knocked out in the first two rounds.
Not too shabby, although Vika looks tough.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Happy for Azarenka. I can only watch her matches on mute but was definitely rooting for her over Serena.

I'm fine with her or Osaka winning. Maybe leaning a bit towards Azarenka.

Hoping for Thiem today. I see him as the favorite for the title right now.

Regardless, I think the winner of Thiem/Medvedev wins the title.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I still see Medvedev as the favourite to win the title. Despite the one-sided set scores in his favour, Thiem is going to have to be sharper than he was against de Minaur to beat him.

Got to go with Carreno Busta in the other semi. Zverev has to prove he can handle the pressure this deep into a Grand Slam, and, based on past history (and there is a lot of it) I have little confidence that he can do it.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I still see Medvedev as the favourite to win the title. Despite the one-sided set scores in his favour, Thiem is going to have to be sharper than he was against de Minaur to beat him.

Got to go with Carreno Busta in the other semi. Zverev has to prove he can handle the pressure this deep into a Grand Slam, and, based on past history (and there is a lot of it) I have little confidence that he can do it.

I agree that Medvedev is the favorite. I think his form over the last year or two makes him the favorite. Thiem might be the best of these players with handling pressure having been around longer and been in a few more big matches. Zverev remains the most talented of the three, but between his form and the pressure, he's not the favorite. The lack of fans lowers some of the pressure and it's not as if Thiem or Medvedev have won slams either. I don't think it'd be a huge surprise if Zverev won. I think it'll be a real upset though if Carreno Busta beats Zverev. That should've been Djokovic's spot. I think Carreno Busta is a few tiers lower than those other three.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Medvedev is clearly the favorite IMO. His game is tailor made for the hard courts but Thiem has the bigger weapons so it'll be interesting to see if Thiem gets ultra aggressive to keep the points shorter or be content with long baseline rallies which will play into Medvedev's hands.

As usual with these big boy matchups, it'll likely come down to who is mentally stronger.
This match is a classic example of the semifinal being the real final, I'd be shocked if one of these two doesn't win the championship. Really looking forward to it.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
The best final for tennis, both for the sport and aesthetically, would be Thiem vs. Carreno Busta and I can't believe I'm saying this.

If only Zverev could stop pushing...

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The best final for tennis, both for the sport and aesthetically, would be Thiem vs. Carreno Busta and I can't believe I'm saying this.

If only Zverev could stop pushing...
Wow. Disagree. I think Medvedev's game doesn't have to apologize for a lack of aesthetics. He plays thinking tennis out there and I just don't see how that is bad for the game. A mere pusher, he is not.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Wow. Disagree. I think Medvedev's game doesn't have to apologize for a lack of aesthetics. He plays thinking tennis out there and I just don't see how that is bad for the game. A mere pusher, he is not.

A pusher with a brain is still a pusher.
And besides, he's playing Thiem. Had he been playing Zverev I'd be of a different view.

Reactions: MsMeow

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
In a bit over an hour Carreno Busta was up, 6-3, 5-0 but had to hold on to win it 6-2. Zverev at least must realize that he has nothing to lose which might loosen up his game for a comeback effort.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Third set could be interesting as Carreno Busta is a weak front runner, maybe weaker with a berth in the final looming in his mind.

And on cue Carreno Busta falters and Sascha breaks and takes the set.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Feels like we could just fast forward to the 5th set where we then learn who chokes least?

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Early break for Sascha in the 4th set, 2-1....but Pablo returns the favour 2-2.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Zverev up a quick break, but can he hold it?...up 4-2 in the set. Soon could get nervous.. land he does with very little stress the rest of t he way.

Wow. Zverov in a grand slam final. Quite the occasion.

Last edited:

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Carreno Busta is one of the most mentally weak players in tennis. He's also one of the most boring players in tennis.

I'm not a huge Zverev fan, but the right player won.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Wow. I had to leave in the fourth and got home to see Zverev raising his arms in victory.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Thiem wins a mammoth breaker, when Daniil can't serve the set out at 5-4. Thiem is winning almost all the long rallies of which there have been several.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Third set, 2-love Daniil. but such a huge hill to climb now...but for the second straight time he can't serve out the set, 5-4 on serve.

And Thiem again wins the eventual breaker for the match

Thiem deserved it. He was the better and glutchier player most of the night.

Last edited:

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
When was the last time there was such a huge difference in quality between the two semis of a Grand slam?

Thiem now the logical favorite for Sunday as long as his foot holds up.

Say Hey Kid

Gonna get some albums by The Status Quo
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
I didn't understand the Medvedev predictions. Thiem is better on all surfaces. He'll win it all. Someday Novak or Rafa will not be number one and it will be Dominic. I predicted Osaka before the tourney and I'm sticking with her.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Thiem's championship for the taking, but it would be neat of see Zverev, the nervous Nelly in so many previous Slams, go all the way and lift the trophy.

Hoping for Osaka, but Azarenka would be quite a story.

Odd GS semis for me. Basically, any of these people could win the championship and I would be fine with it. They all seem very deserving in one way or another.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I am looking more forward to the women's match then the men's. Yesterday's matches were so choky they were painful to watch.

Reactions: kihei

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad