Tennis: US Open 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I don't normally watch the women's game, but that was great. I have a feeling I'll be watching more because of her.

So, the annoying thing about that is due to the rights ownership in Canada, Bianca's matches are only available through DAZN streaming service outside of Grand Slam tournaments and Rogers Cup. That means until the Australian Open comes around in January, there won't be any coverage by TSN or Sportsnet.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
I'm bawling!!! We have a grand slam champion my fellow Canucks!!!
As a Canadian who’s been a tennis fan for over 20 years now, I never in my wildest imagination would’ve thought we’d be able to produce a grand slam champion. Congrats to Bianca who was absolutely incredible out there and the scary part is, she’s only 19.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Imagine if someone told us a year ago that in twelve months Canadians would have a GS champion. I would have supposed that person didn't have a clue of what he/she was talking about and was a fool besides. The prospect would have been dismissed as not even worth a second thought. Yet here we are and I'm still having trouble getting my head around her stunning accomplishment

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Imagine if someone told us a year ago that in twelve months Canadians would have a GS champion. I would have supposed that person didn't have a clue of what he/she was talking about and was a fool besides. The prospect would have been dismissed as not even worth a second thought. Yet here we are and I'm still having trouble getting my head around her stunning accomplishment

I think a year ago, if you predicted Canada would have a GS champion, thoughts would go towards Shapovalov, Felix or a healthy Raonic getting the monkey off his back.

Bianca really turned expectations of this Canadian golden age on its head.

Reactions: kihei and MsMeow

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Does anyone care about the men's final? As it turns out I'll have Rogers here at some point during the match, trying to figure out why my Nextbox keeps freezing up

hound67

Dec 28, 2006
Banks of the 'boine
After being up 5-1 then losing 4 straight, it took a lot of moxie to pull it together, hold and then break. And with the crowd clearly pulling for her opponent.
Have to think the metal toughness she displayed today helps her a lot going forward.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Does anyone care about the men's final? As it turns out I'll have Rogers here at some point during the match, trying to figure out why my Nextbox keeps freezing up
Yeah, sure, but it is the very definition of an anticlimax.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Unbelievable, streamed the last game at the bomber game. Cheered louder for bianca than any point in the bomber game.

Just amazing, she’s come so far. To pull it together after choking 5-1 just shows the mental strength she has.

Reactions: Tuggy

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga

I think a year ago, if you predicted Canada would have a GS champion, thoughts would go towards Shapovalov, Felix or a healthy Raonic getting the monkey off his back.

Bianca really turned expectations of this Canadian golden age on its head.

I remember after Indian Wells and Miami I publicly mused about a Canadian grand slam winner in the future here (Mailbag: How close is a Grand Slam singles title for Canada?). Fast forward 6 months and it's definitely come sooner than I expected. That said I paid more attention to Andreescu's game in Toronto, and as someone who's both played and watched tennis for over 25 years what struck me was 1) the way she brought her best game during crunch time no longer how the match went up until then, and 2) the way every opponent eventually ran out of ways to counter her (unplayable) game no matter what they strategies and tactics they tried. After that I felt barring injuries it was just a matter of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad