Tennis: US Open 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Djokovic and Osaka are defending champs.

Djokovic should be the slight favorite but I really think both sides are wide open.

Yeah, it feels like it's anyone's game.

The US Open is the one tournament that doesn't feel like a home court advantage by the big 3. Looking at the last 5 USO finals, and it's featured 8 different players.

There's a lot of overlap in the Venn diagram of players who might be able to win this thing, and players that could get upset in the early rounds.

Reactions: Wrigley and Tuggy

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I still like Djokovic. In his loss Sunday what could he do that he didn't do? I thought he played extremely well and just ran into a guy that played better.

I also like Medvedev, who is a gaudy 31-8 on hard courts this year, to make at least the semis, especially given the fact that he will have had a week's rest which he certainly could use.

Nadal should never be underestimated.

Roger is a huge question mark going in.

Kyrgios can't be ignored and Monfils has been super great on hard courts this year (19-4)

Super Dark Horse picks: Khachanov, Fritz

On the women's side, Serena, Osaka, Barty, and Pliskova (and flip some coins to pick the winner)

Dark Horse picks: Andreescu, Keys

Super Dark Horse picks: Kenin, Kontaveit

Last edited:
Reactions: Wrigley

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I noticed Pospisil isn't in qualifying. Does anyone know if he Is getting into the main draw via protected ranking, or is sitting this out for some reason?

He got in with his PR.

Raonic, Auger-Aliassime, Shapovalov, Pospisil and Schnur on the Men's side. Andreescu and Bouchard on the Women's side.

Hopefully they can all avoid each other in the first round...we all know what happened last year with Denis/Felix in the first round. And then we got Felix/Vasek at Wimbledon.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
what the hell has happened to Jack Sock that he's got to get a wild card to the US Open? wow...

He sucked last year. He could barely win a match after his career year where he was ascending up the rankings. Did he train hard enough? Only he'd know.

This year he's been injured almost the whole season. There was a report that it was a snowboarding injury, but he denied that.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Djokovic with a very, very tough draw.

Nadal, nice cakewalk.

Serena and Sharapova R1 :laugh:

Tsitsipas vs. Rublev R1

Raonic vs Jarry

Schnur vs Paire

Pospisil vs Khachanov

Andreescu vs Volynets

Bouchard vs Sevastova

Pensionsraddare

May 18, 2018
Karlstad
We used to have players like Borg, Wilander, Edberg, Norman, Björkman, Tillström, Johansson, Söderling etc. Now we're hoping for players to even qualify for Grand Slams. Ymer won't defeat Chung so he will have to hope for a Lucky Loser here. Oh, how the mighty have fallen... Still watching tennis with excitement though.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Felix/Denis again. I find it odd that they'd pair 2 top 40 talents that early in a tournament. To me the matchups should be based more upon rankings and not a draw like we see now.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
That sucks so much for Felix and Denis. Can't wait until they are both seeded so we won't have to deal with this awful luck again.

Djokovic's half/quarter is absolutely stacked!

Potential Romanian-themed round of 16 between Halep/Andreescu if they both make that far. Given her game is like a diabolical riddle that no top-10 player has yet managed to crack, it would not surprise me if Bianca makes a deep run, gets to the finals or even wins the whole thing.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Somebody earlier in the thread said the U.S. Open is wide open on the men's side and I can't see it. Djokovic and Nadal are heavy favorites.

As long as they are in good form and healthy, it'll be one of them hoisting the trophy. The gap between the top 3 and everybody else is as big as it's been since before Wawrinka and Murray were in top form. I think Federer is done being a threat to the top 2 outside of grass.

I have no idea on the women's side. Serena is probably the favorite, Osaka obviously but she seems to have hit a tough patch. Pliskova has the weapons but does she want it enough? So much young talent is bubbling up so could we get a teen champ for the first time since Sharapova? So much intrigue on the women's side, moreso than the men.

Anyway, I'm going to try to get to a few matches. I'm only 10 minutes from Flushing Meadows so I have no excuse not to go. Love this time of year with the U.S. Open, football and baseball playoffs right around the corner, hockey and basketball not too far behind. Fun time of year for a sports fan.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad