Tennis: US Open 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
I often wonder what Raonic would be if he didn't have constant injuries.

More seasons similar to his season in 2016? It's not like the sky's the limit with Raonic. His upside is the best player in the world outside of a healthy big 4 and that's exactly what he did 3 years ago.

Reactions: Wrigley

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Probably a consistent 8-15 ranked player in the world. I don't think he has the complete game to be a Top 7 player, even if he was healthy all the time. Isner is basically what Raonic would be if he was always healthy.

I have to disagree.

Fully healthy, Raonic is easily a top 7 player in the world. He's already done it...

He is better than Isner.

Last edited:

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I have to disagree.

Fully healthy, Raonic is easily a top 7 player in the right now. He's already done it...

He is better than Isner.

I also think if he got a long period of full health, that he'd been able to expand his game more.

I've always found him to be someone who is very focused on improving. I just think that he's always coming back from injury and has to build a rhythm.

I think it's quite possible that even at a later age, that he'll have a healthy year or two and get back to a high ranking. I think with all the health issues, it's remarkable that he's never really dropped too low in the rankings. I think the lowest he's been is 40th since he broke out on tour 8 years ago. That shows a fair bit of dedication and resilience that he's not often associated with.

Reactions: Wrigley and Tuggy

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
He had a great year in 2016, no question. The main thing that says to me is that a lot of players of his generation didn't--so I think of that lofty ranking as an anomaly. I think of him as kind of a Tomas Berdych-type in terms of potential. Good enough to hang around in the nether reaches of the Top Ten for a long time but lacking the complete game, consistency and imagination that would have allowed him to achieve greater things. In his healthy years, he showed some improvement in these areas but not enough to warrant much higher expectations had he not been beset by injuries. What you see with Milos is pretty much what you can expect to get.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I'm surprised the oddsmakers think Kerber, Stephens, and Wawrinka have better chances than any Canadian player.
Experience and success as big-game players, plus the bona fides that come with having already won at least one Grand Slam.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I wonder if Zverev will show some improvement now, with some of the distractions around him resolved.
While there are still issues with his former manager, signing with a new agency should allow him to focus more on his game.
Hopefully this bodes well for next season and the rest of this one.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Sevastova is the story here. She served at 70%, seemed to draw Bouchard out of position at will, and looked as comfortable as she always does in this tournament. If she only played the US Open she would be a top ten player.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Mladenovic is frustrating to watch. She has so much talent but she languishes just outside of the top 50. Head or heart, something seems to be missing.

After a miserable second set, she recovers (uncharacteristically) and gets herself a big scalp.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I'm picking and betting on Opelka over #11 Fognini. If I can figure out how to, I'm gonna bet kihei 1k that Coco beats Potapova.
Kihei is sitting on a corner, cup in hand, begging strangers for spare change at the moment, but I would take that bet if I could. Things might be looking up tomorrow, though.

1k, though? I leave that for tips. Let's make it 10k, shall we?

Last edited:

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
He had a great year in 2016, no question. The main thing that says to me is that a lot of players of his generation didn't--so I think of that lofty ranking as an anomaly. I think of him as kind of a Tomas Berdych-type in terms of potential. Good enough to hang around in the nether reaches of the Top Ten for a long time but lacking the complete game, consistency and imagination that would have allowed him to achieve greater things. In his healthy years, he showed some improvement in these areas but not enough to warrant much higher expectations had he not been beset by injuries. What you see with Milos is pretty much what you can expect to get.

I actually consider Berdych to be a little underrated, and someone who has a more complete game than he gets credit for. Consider this match from Miami 2017. Berdych loses in the end but he is fantastic.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Ok. / I'm gonna take Medvedev and Serena to win it all.
Djokovic on the men's side for me; one of my two "dark horse" picks on the women's side, either Andreescu or Keys--if I had to choose one, currently leaning toward Keys at the moment.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Got a feeling Serena is gonna get upset tonight. Seems most of the higher seeds are struggling. Often times when you see that early it carries through the whole first round. Convinced it fires up the underdogs and tightens up the favorites somewhat. Serena should be immune to that sort of thing by now but I still believe seeing all this going on mentally impacts the players in later matches

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I would love to see Serena lose to Maria but I just can't see it.

Wow, Kerber lost to Kiki.

Elvis P

You ain't nothin but a hound dog
Dec 10, 2007
Graceland
I would love to see Serena lose to Maria but I just can't see it. Wow, Kerber lost to Kiki.
So much for the oddsmakers picking Kerber to go farther than Bianca. Venus only lost 1 game and looks 36. She's 21-0 in US Open first rounds.

Edit: My pick Opelka wins and Fognini fires kihei as his coach. ;)

Edit: Serena and Sharapova are undefeated in the first round of the US Open.

Last edited:
Reactions: MsMeow

stopclickbait

Aug 28, 2018
Gotta love the upsets unless you got money on the favs haha, hot take Flipkens eliminates Bianca.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Given his movie star good looks and Next Gen pedigree, it is truly remarkable how uncharismatic Fritz is.

Lopez in a relatively easy four sets. Feliciano always has the potential to do some damage to higher seeded players in the first week and this was just another example.

Last edited:

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I would love to see Serena lose to Maria but I just can't see it.

Wow, Kerber lost to Kiki.

This isn’t even close. If Serena plays like this the entire time nobody is gonna beat her but the weather won’t also be 70 with no humidity every time she plays and at 37 she’s probably not going to be able to sustain this level of play for 6 matches

Reactions: Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Londero knocked off Querrey in a minor upset. I like that guy.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Nagal, who has never won at match at ATP level (only his third match at the ATP level) is serving for the first set against Roger Federer. What the hell?

And Nagal holds on to take the first set after falling behind love-30. Jaw-dropping turn of events.

Reactions: Tuggy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad