Tennis: US Open 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
That Judge is just a stuck up snob. He is hard on the rules to an absurd degree. Has nothing to do with "sexism" He gave Djokovic a warning last Wimbeldon for simply dropping his racket. Not even breaking it (While Nishikori did the same and got nothing)

Difference is, Djokovic didn't keep going and arguing with the ref past the commercial break.

I also saw people saying that when McEnroe does his antics he was loved......WHAT?? That's some huge revisionist history. He was hated during his playing time...players tried beating him up in game lol. He only become loveable after he retired.

So you're saying he enforced the same rules on a man?!

giphy.gif

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
What I think Serena was objecting to is the fact that men can say much worse than "thief" in a tennis match and nothing happens to them, and it is especially a big deal when it comes as the third penalty which stipulates a loss of a game. I've personally seen Andy Murray, Fabio Fognini, Bernard Tomic, and Ryan Harrison, not to mention Jimmy Connors, John McEnroe, Ilie Nastase, and Jim Courier, say far worse on a tennis court to an umpire and not receive any penalty at all.

In other words she is fighting for women's rights to abuse the officials.

BTW: all those players did receive many violations, but they knew when to stop. Show me ONE man who did anything similar to Serena with two violations and got away with it...

And last but not least, Serena didn't get a game penalty for abusing the referee, she only got a code violation. The lost game came because she had 2 more...

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

But hey, what does she know, right haters?????

Wow, that's embarrassing for BJK to side with Serena on this. :help:

As I said earlier, I'm still hoping Serena wakes up today embarrassed at what she did to tarnish Osaka's big moment. She was the better player all match and yet the crowd was solely focused on Serena's selfish tantrum.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
In other words she is fighting for women's rights to abuse the officials.

BTW: all those players did receive many violations, but they knew when to stop. Show me ONE man who did anything similar to Serena with two violations and got away with it...

And last but not least, Serena didn't get a game penalty for abusing the referee, she only got a code violation. The lost game came because she had 2 more...

Insulting the umpire's integrity probably didn't help her cause.

Reactions: Peanut

Peanut

Alzner is SOLID
Oct 28, 2015
Worth noting that earlier in this tourny we saw an ump "coaching" a player during a match (kyrgios).

Actually the ump was going to call the match and make Kyrgios forfeit the match because he was once again "tanking". Like he did the week before when got 6-0 again Coric in the 2nd set at the Cincy masters. The fans don't come to watch players give away points on purpose what Kyrgios has a history of doing when he doesn't get his way. Im sure if Kyrgios kept doing what he did the umpire would have called the game, the umpire was even called out for doing it saying it was not his job to go down and give a verbal warning by other players on the tour.

Anyway Serena has a history of this

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Some aspects of Serena's rant/tirade that I thought were atypical of rants you'd normally see:

- not at all expletive-filled
- specific to the situation and not the kind of rant you'd see from someone who loses his/her cool frequently
- included specific personal accusations against the umpire as well as more run-of-the-mill insults
- notable in that she made an order (i.e. an apology) and just wouldn't let it go. At. All.

To me the cheating warning/violation was poor because every coach does it (though some hide it better than others), but his other two decisions were in line with the standards among the top men/women in the game today (though there are individuals who've occasionally gotten away with it in generations past).

AshleyN

Jan 16, 2009
Yeesh, that was ugly. I felt absolutely terrible for Osaka. She played an incredible tournament, showed zero sign of nerves in her first major final, and most likely would have won anyway, only to have what should have been one of the best moments of her life stolen from her. Judging by her age and ability I don't think this is going to be her last win, so I really hope the next one ends better for her.

Regarding Serena, everyone seems to want to turn this into a hero or villain situation, but I dunno, is it possible to admit that she has very legitimate grievances with regard to how she's been treated by tennis establishment (and that most likely affects her perception of incidents like last night) AND that she also has a history of not reacting to losing all that well? Like, there's zero question that she's had to deal with a LOT of crap that no white and/or male player of her stature would have had to, and that there have been times when she's been genuinely treated unfairly (didn't the challenge system literally become a thing due to a match where she was repeatedly screwed over on line calls?). But also, I don't think it's a coincidence that these meltdowns always seem to happen in similar situations -- when she runs into a player who's white hot and she can't find an answer for their play, whether it be Clijsters, Stosur, or now Osaka. She's an icon and is rightfully lauded for many things, but she's also a person with flaws. Two things can be true.

When it comes to the chair umpire, I agree with a comment I saw that tennis officials desperately need to have some sort of get together to iron out just what is expected of them. Because while there's always some degree of interpretation involved in these things, right now there seems to be way to much that depends on the umpire's discretion. Yes, according to the rulebook all three of Serena's violations last night were justified, but I can understand why people would get upset when the whole situation unfolded in the same tournament where a different chair umpire literally climbed out of his chair to give a pep talk to a player. I do think some of the accusations being thrown at Carlos Ramos are unfair though, since people who follow tennis closely all seem to agree that he's known to be a stickler for the rules, and will basically call any infraction he sees regardless of who, when, or where. It was actually interesting that Serena's coach brought up Nadal in his interview, because I don't know about coaching violations but I'm almost certain that Ramos is one of the few umpires I've seen call Rafa on his (often egregious) time violations. Personally I'd prefer an strict, but consistently strict official to one who picks and chooses when to penalize infractions, which only leads to situations where players get used to getting away with things and feel like they're being treated unfairly when they actually get called on them (I've also never agreed with the idea of officials "playing to the score/situation" -- their job should be to enforce the rules, not decide when and where the rules apply). That being said, I also saw Michael Farber point out that the best officials tend to be the ones who are able to de-escalate tense situations rather than escalating them, and I don't think it would have hurt Ramos to have given Serena a soft warning before the third violation, even if it was just a reminder that the next one would cost her a game.

Reactions: kihei

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Serena's the GOAT for female tennis IMO. Still her antics last night and in the past are unfortunate. Really took away from Osaka's big moment. Shame on Serena.

The Moose

Mar 25, 2004
Edmonton
I wonder what other sports allows players to abuse a ref to the degree Serena did (and of course, she is not the only one in the history of tennis), regardless whether the ref was right or wrong, and then create a narrative in which she is some sort of victim. In any other sport not only you are thrown out of the game immediately, but also face a lengthy suspension.

Perhaps it’s time that tennis came down hard on player tantrums. If their psyche is too fragile, and they have to have this sort of abusive reaction, perhaps tennis is not for them, and they can find solace and less stress in a typical 9-5 job.

Serena has been a total disgrace in this final, and this disgrace is only apmlified by the subsequent accusations of sexism against the ref.

Reactions: jj cale

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Nole takes the first set from Del Potro 6-3. The tennis has been spotty, so there is a long way to go if Juan Martin can lift his game

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Yeesh, that was ugly. I felt absolutely terrible for Osaka. She played an incredible tournament, showed zero sign of nerves in her first major final, and most likely would have won anyway, only to have what should have been one of the best moments of her life stolen from her. Judging by her age and ability I don't think this is going to be her last win, so I really hope the next one ends better for her.

Regarding Serena, everyone seems to want to turn this into a hero or villain situation, but I dunno, is it possible to admit that she has very legitimate grievances with regard to how she's been treated by tennis establishment (and that most likely affects her perception of incidents like last night) AND that she also has a history of not reacting to losing all that well? Like, there's zero question that she's had to deal with a LOT of crap that no white and/or male player of her stature would have had to, and that there have been times when she's been genuinely treated unfairly (didn't the challenge system literally become a thing due to a match where she was repeatedly screwed over on line calls?). But also, I don't think it's a coincidence that these meltdowns always seem to happen in similar situations -- when she runs into a player who's white hot and she can't find an answer for their play, whether it be Clijsters, Stosur, or now Osaka. She's an icon and is rightfully lauded for many things, but she's also a person with flaws. Two things can be true.

When it comes to the chair umpire, I agree with a comment I saw that tennis officials desperately need to have some sort of get together to iron out just what is expected of them. Because while there's always some degree of interpretation involved in these things, right now there seems to be way to much that depends on the umpire's discretion. Yes, according to the rulebook all three of Serena's violations last night were justified, but I can understand why people would get upset when the whole situation unfolded in the same tournament where a different chair umpire literally climbed out of his chair to give a pep talk to a player. I do think some of the accusations being thrown at Carlos Ramos are unfair though, since people who follow tennis closely all seem to agree that he's known to be a stickler for the rules, and will basically call any infraction he sees regardless of who, when, or where. It was actually interesting that Serena's coach brought up Nadal in his interview, because I don't know about coaching violations but I'm almost certain that Ramos is one of the few umpires I've seen call Rafa on his (often egregious) time violations. Personally I'd prefer an strict, but consistently strict official to one who picks and chooses when to penalize infractions, which only leads to situations where players get used to getting away with things and feel like they're being treated unfairly when they actually get called on them (I've also never agreed with the idea of officials "playing to the score/situation" -- their job should be to enforce the rules, not decide when and where the rules apply). That being said, I also saw Michael Farber point out that the best officials tend to be the ones who are able to de-escalate tense situations rather than escalating them, and I don't think it would have hurt Ramos to have given Serena a soft warning before the third violation, even if it was just a reminder that the next one would cost her a game.
Excellent points all around--a sane, reasonable appraisal.

Connor McFries

5-14-6-1
Jan 9, 2008
Even first set. Then Djokovic capitalized on the one break point and win the set.

Delpo's fearsome forehand was largely absent in the first. He's become a tad more aggressive in the second. But he's still faced break points against his serve.

US open crowd watch: delpo fans very vocal. Other than that, pretty fair to each. Djokovic, to his credit, hasn't done anything to get on the crowds bad side.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Juan Martin's elbow must really be feeling better. He beginning to drive his backhand again coming over the top with some force.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I think this is going to be a straight sets win for Djok, unfortunately.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Actually the ump was going to call the match and make Kyrgios forfeit the match because he was once again "tanking"
so you tell that to the player and move along
you don't crouch at his side and have a heart-to-heart with him for minutes

Reactions: Peanut

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Juan Martin responds, 3-all. Maybe the kinks are now all worked out and we will have a competitive match after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig