Former Bruins Urho Vaakanainen

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Just bumping to get thoughts on his future this year. Is he going to see any game time? They’re running way deep in the blue line and Grzelcyk
is due to be back soon. It’d be a shame for him to sit all year but I don’t see him jumping ahead of the guys in front of him right now

He's playing in Providence and barring a couple of injuries to the big club, that's where he'll stay. He won't be sitting all year.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
I’m thinking we’re losing a defenseman in the expansion draft and who knows if Miller holds up/is resigned so unless they trade him this season he’ll get his shot next year.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Just turned 22 a month ago. Has played 85 AHL games thus far.

Zboril played 182 total games. Made it at age

Lauzon hit 126 games, with seasons he missed time with injuries. Did get a 15 game and 20 game NHL stints over two seasons before getting what appears to be the final call.

I want Vaakanainen getting big minutes this season in Providence this season. If he plays every game, that’ll get him to the a game shy of the 130 mark (Season this year is 44 games? That’s what I got when I googled).

He’s missed some time due to injury and coming from Europe, could use time to learn the NA game and rink. I think he comes in next season ready for an NHL spot.

Reactions: Skelen and BamZoni

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Just turned 22 a month ago. Has played 85 AHL games thus far.

Zboril played 182 total games. Made it at age

Lauzon hit 126 games, with seasons he missed time with injuries. Did get a 15 game and 20 game NHL stints over two seasons before getting what appears to be the final call.

I want Vaakanainen getting big minutes this season in Providence this season. If he plays every game, that’ll get him to the a game shy of the 130 mark (Season this year is 44 games? That’s what I got when I googled).

He’s missed some time due to injury and coming from Europe, could use time to learn the NA game and rink. I think he comes in next season ready for an NHL spot.

Not all eggs come from chickens.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
I’m thinking we’re losing a defenseman in the expansion draft and who knows if Miller holds up/is resigned so unless they trade him this season he’ll get his shot next year.
I'm thinking we lose one of Gryz, Lauzon, or Zboril, so Vaak makes sense to replace whichever one of those we lose. Clifton should slide in nicely as a replacement for Miller if/when that's needed.

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015
I'm thinking we lose one of Gryz, Lauzon, or Zboril, so Vaak makes sense to replace whichever one of those we lose. Clifton should slide in nicely as a replacement for Miller if/when that's needed.

Cliffy can fall into that list also. Boston could also toss them a sweetener to take something else, who knows.

BruinsNetwork

Jan 8, 2021
Watching him in person today and there’s really not much of a change in the prognosis. Urho needs to be more consistent and work harder, especially behind the net and along the boards. He’s been out worked a few times already today and I was 15 feet away from him watching a froward clamp down on his stick snd neutralize him, giving up a prime scoring chance.

Reactions: CDJ and Saxon Eric

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Watching him in person today and there’s really not much of a change in the prognosis. Urho needs to be more consistent and work harder, especially behind the net and along the boards. He’s been out worked a few times already today and I was 15 feet away from him watching a froward clamp down on his stick snd neutralize him, giving up a prime scoring chance.

Do you think it’s one of those things where he would be more engaged under the microscope in Boston and is just bored of being in the AHL? Or is it more of a personality trait at this point?

HackeyFanz

Dec 8, 2017
He looked good. Smooth considering the ice he was playing on. I suppose that might be why he looked slower as well

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
Looked good given the circumstances....I didn't like that he got hit too many times in the 3rd after making an outlet pass tho.

Smooth skater and great active stick

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Vaak looks solid. He started a little shaky but definitely settled down. Lauzon going down gave him lots of time with Charlie which I think was great for him.

I guess Donny is pretty decent drafting defenseman. Needs some work on the other side of the puck.

Sadly if they all look solid you’re going to need to give someone up to finally get that missing piece in the top 6. Because your forward prospects aren’t gonna get you anything special.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
He played a game in Boston and I was in my seats lined up with post second row behind net so first and third periods so I have phenomenal view of defenseman.

I thought Vaakanainen looked smooth and made crisp passes and looked like a future version of Eric Weinrich.

I was jacked then I read all these metrics and analytics on the game I watched and he basically sucked :laugh:

One thing I noticed having Viktor Arvidsson in the SIM league for example who got badly concussed that it can take a long time to get back - Arvidsson still isn’t what he was a year ago prior to cheap hit

I watched Vaakanainen in Providence and he wasn’t what he was before Boroweicki concussed him

last night he looked pretty good

Elite skater and if he could somehow end up like Brodin I’d be ecstatic- defense first, great first pass, super recovery

it would be nice

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
SE I take it Vaak is being asked to play D first in Providence? Not sure how much offence he could bring to the team. He was pretty solid last night.
Not sure of the playing D first thing, if anything they'd like him to start cutting loose some offense instead of being so vanilla, he's a very frustrating player to watch down here because you know what he's capable of and for what ever reasons he just doesn't show it enough for my liking, he's the guy that should be playing next to McAvoy yet he's being carried around by Cooper Zech
So frustrating

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad