Former Bruins Urho Vaakanainen

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
They are literally the best defense in the entire league right now. So we are trying to fix something that isn’t broken?

To be fair, they haven't played Tampa, Colorado, Toronto etc. We don't really know how this defense will stack up against those teams in the playoffs.

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
To be fair, they haven't played Tampa, Colorado, Toronto etc. We don't really know how this defense will stack up against those teams in the playoffs.
True but who have those teams played as far as great competition goes ? We all know Tampa is great but when the playoffs start it will be an adjustment for everybody not just the Bruins .

BruinsNetwork

Jan 8, 2021
Why the need for ekholm? Bruins have the 3rd best GAA in the league and allow the least amount of shots against per game. The defensive group has been elite at suppressing shots and in arguably the best division in the nhl right now. If anything we should be targeting scoring help.

Because the Bruins’ defensive structure is a well-oiled machine that works together as one, which is part of why they’re currently so successful, IMO. Ekholm is a high-end driver and a good defender at 5-on-5,wading to more offensive opportunities up the ice for the forward group. Less driving that has to be done from them.

I’m not in a rush to get Ekholm, but he’s a great player and he would make this team much, much better. The Bruins have influx of young, budding defensemen who can play in the NHL right now and they have more on the way. I would trade Vaakanainen because Lauzon and Zboril are here, Ahcan and Zech are in Providence and Lohrei is on the way too.

I like Vaakanainen, but he’s valuable (especially due to his expansion ineligibility) and would fit into what Nashville probably needs as they’re trending towards a rebuild. Just different methods of looking at the roster and needs of the team. Ekholm would make everyone’s job that much easier, especially Carlo.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
True but who have those teams played as far as great competition goes ? We all know Tampa is great but when the playoffs start it will be an adjustment for everybody not just the Bruins .

I meant that even though the current defense is getting it done now, they may be outmatched by the cup contenders the playoffs. This is where a guy like Ekholm added to the mix would really help.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Vaaka was bad yesterday

Especially out of position and outmuscled

Not as bad as Halak

Hopefully one off
Honestly I didn’t really see a lot of good out of really any of the defense.

Just a fans observation: Whenever they play the isles, the D seems to really lose its poise. You can tell they feel rushed and make mistakes you really don’t see them make normally. Not just in last nights game where they’re working without a few of their regulars, but every game they’ve played thus far against the Isles.

That and I will say, Nassaus *ice certainly gives TD garden a run for its money. Not an excuse. Just another observation.

Last edited:

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Honestly I didn’t really see a lot of good out of really any of the defense.

Just a fans observation: Whenever they play the isles, the D seems to really lose its poise. You can tell they feel rushed and make mistakes you really don’t see them make normally. Not just in last nights game where they’re working without a few of their regulars, but every game they’ve played thus far against the Isles.

That and I will say, Nassau certainly gives TD garden a run for its money. Not an excuse. Just another observation.

Right- there was not a lot of goodness on display anywhere last night. It was one of those games. I thought for most of the game Urho wasn't awful- he made some nice breakout passes, covered his zone well. He wasn't any worse than Moore, Clifton, Carlo. McAvoy had a tough night too, but also had good moments, and so did Zboril. No one was spectacular though, that's a fact :laugh:

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Because the Bruins’ defensive structure is a well-oiled machine that works together as one, which is part of why they’re currently so successful, IMO. Ekholm is a high-end driver and a good defender at 5-on-5,wading to more offensive opportunities up the ice for the forward group. Less driving that has to be done from them.

I’m not in a rush to get Ekholm, but he’s a great player and he would make this team much, much better. The Bruins have influx of young, budding defensemen who can play in the NHL right now and they have more on the way. I would trade Vaakanainen because Lauzon and Zboril are here, Ahcan and Zech are in Providence and Lohrei is on the way too.

I like Vaakanainen, but he’s valuable (especially due to his expansion ineligibility) and would fit into what Nashville probably needs as they’re trending towards a rebuild. Just different methods of looking at the roster and needs of the team. Ekholm would make everyone’s job that much easier, especially Carlo.

Could he play a Seidenberg role where he makes an impact for several seasons?

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Do people really think a players are not going to have bad games . Get real.
the problem is that the last 2 games he looks completely overmatched. You expect this sort of physical dominance of an 18 year old playing his first few NHL games. You'd send him down, let him fill out, etc. But he's 22 and has been developing for quite a while now and looks completely overwhelmed. It's a red flag for sure.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
the problem is that the last 2 games he looks completely overmatched. You expect this sort of physical dominance of an 18 year old playing his first few NHL games. You'd send him down, let him fill out, etc. But he's 22 and has been developing for quite a while now and looks completely overwhelmed. It's a red flag for sure.

exactly he looks the part until the wind blows and he falls over

Reactions: kjpm and Mathews28

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
five even strength assists in 15 games. Pathetic.
he has one less even strength assist than Marchand & Pastrnak (and 2 less than Bergeron). Obviously they all have goals too, but how many times have we been over this? Swap Bergeron and Krejci permanently and tell me Bergeron's ES production doesn't nosedive and Krejci's spikes. Marchand, Bergeron & Pasta feed off each other, inflating their individual numbers. Krejci has to produce everything himself.

Krejci still doesn't have a consistent RW and he's still on a 55 point pace. Krejci produces when he gets to play with good players (like how Bergeron turned into a point per game player once he got a full-time gig between 2 elite wingers). It's just so unfair to blame this guy for Sweeney's annual inability to fill the primary need on this roster.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
he has one less even strength assist than Marchand & Pastrnak (and 2 less than Bergeron). Obviously they all have goals too, but how many times have we been over this? Swap Bergeron and Krejci permanently and tell me Bergeron's ES production doesn't nosedive and Krejci's spikes. Marchand, Bergeron & Pasta feed off each other, inflating their individual numbers. Krejci has to produce everything himself.

Krejci still doesn't have a consistent RW and he's still on a 55 point pace. Krejci produces when he gets to play with good players (like how Bergeron turned into a point per game player once he got a full-time gig between 2 elite wingers). It's just so unfair to blame this guy for Sweeney's annual inability to fill the primary need on this roster.

Krejci hasn’t really hit with anyone and he never gets any flack for it. I don’t get it

studnicla was more visible as a 2C last night than DK all season.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Krejci hasn’t really hit with anyone and he never gets any flack for it. I don’t get it

studnicla was more visible as a 2C last night than DK all season.
he hasn't hit with anyone because he consistently is given trash to play with. And since Krejci is a playmaker, when he's saddled with wingers who don't finish it only makes him look worse. You can lead a horse to water, but can't make it put the puck in the back of the net (i think that's a saying).

Debrusk is the closest thing on this team to a real 2nd line winger and I think the consensus here after several years is that he's close, but not quite a 2nd liner. Ritchie has been good and brings other things to the table, so he can keep that spot if they find a real RW for them.

I mean you can't keep giving him 3rd liners to play with and expect point per game production out of him. The fact that he's at least a 50 point guy with the revolving door of failed experiments on his line in my mind actually makes him look better, not worse. Every time Bergeron has been injured, Krejci has stepped up and given first line production with the 2 elite wingers. Honestly this is all plain as day to me and it's a hill I'll die on. Krejci is the least of this team's problems.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
five even strength assists in 15 games. Pathetic.
Why are we going to complain about a playmaker not scoring when he's not playing with wingers who are not known to be passers (Debrusk, Ritchie, Smith). His 3 wingers this year all have 3 even strength assists each. Is he supposed to take it end to end and finish every play himself? Or should we maybe judge a player by his strength (10 assists for a 2C is solid...).

We finally get a couple guys scoring on his line and now its time to complain about his lack of finishing even though he's the lone passer of those 4 guys.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
you saying the Nucks/Flames/Habs/Sens aren`t Cup contenders and a good barometer or measuring stick?:sarcasm:

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Why are we going to complain about a playmaker not scoring when he's not playing with wingers who are not known to be passers (Debrusk, Ritchie, Smith). His 3 wingers this year all have 3 even strength assists each. Is he supposed to take it end to end and finish every play himself? Or should we maybe judge a player by his strength (10 assists for a 2C is solid...).

We finally get a couple guys scoring on his line and now its time to complain about his lack of finishing even though he's the lone passer of those 4 guys.
It’s all about context

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad