Former Bruins Urho Vaakanainen

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Ducks fan coming in peace.

You’ll love Lindholm! Top pairing defenseman in his prime.

Scouting report on Urho Vaakanainen? What should we expect? Potential?
Fairly good skater with decent hands and anticipation. He has good stamina and will play a little over 20 minutes a game. At this point, purely a defensive player, but should be four or five goals in there eventually. The downside: soft as paper and has not developed his strength. He also has post-concussion problems, and I can't believe we traded him while he is unhealthy.

Last edited:
Reactions: paine

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
He has a lot of potential smooth skater and very heady player but a Borowiecki elbow seemed to set him back a few yrs ago when it looked like he was ready to make the next step to the NHL but as previously said he looked like an NHL this past season and looked like he belonged logging top 4 minutes.

Reactions: paine

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

Still bit of a wildcard, but I have him as a bottom 4 complimentary d-man. He played with McAvoy some this year and played well, didn't look out of place. He's good to pair with an OFD as his defensive game is solid. Don't see much offense, but he's a good puck mover as well and makes smart decisions with the puck.

Reactions: quietbruinfan

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Very fitting he was traded for the player he was compared to in his draft year. Good luck to Vaakanainen on the Ducks.

Reactions: Colt.45Orr

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

Be careful about the scouting reports you read here.

Plenty of posters here aren't qualified to detail a player but that doesn't stop them from talking out of their ass.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Hated the pick at the time and he ofted dogged it in the AHL *but* he looked like an NHLer this year.
Ya me too, I hate this pick as much as the 2015 picks, decided to give him a chance . Not sure we can conclude anything on him at this point . I expect he'll be a decent 2/3 pair tweener if he can stay healthy.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008

He has top 4 potential for sure. Injuries slowed progress down, but he could be a good piece for you.

Honestly if he didn't get hurt, he was being paired with McAvoy for a bit and did not look out of place.

If he stays healthy, he should be considered a solid piece you received. Good skater, pick mover, not overly large but was physical for his size.

If he doesn't, then you'll probably forget about him. I know I forgot he was even an option many times.

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
Ya me too, I hate this pick as much as the 2015 picks, decided to give him a chance . Not sure we can conclude anything on him at this point . I expect he'll be a decent 2/3 pair tweener if he can stay healthy.

Hindsight is best side but there were rumors that Sweeney wanted to draft Robert Thomas but his scouts pushed for Vaakanainen. Unfortunately Thomas is exactly what this team needs right now.

Reactions: JOKER 192

loosemoose

May 31, 2020
Never understood this pick. Franchise already had so many LD's in the system and desperately needed a center. Josh Norris and Robert Thomas were the next two guys who went right after him. Then just to make sure he'd never get a good run they proceeded to sign multiple veteran LDs to long term deals.

Good luck to him in Anaheim.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Hope the kids ok.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad