Former Bruins Urho Vaakanainen

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Kid's good. He may be NHL ready now.... be interesting to see when he gets a taste.... and also be interesting to see how his readiness impacts decisions made by Donny in the next 5-12 months. I think he will be a Vlasic type, which would be pretty great.

- oops, didn't see prospect info thread, my bad. feel free to merge or close. (i may be under the influence)

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I agree. Merge this with the prospect thread

But they seem to have something solid in this kid. I have high hopes now. Lots to look forward to right now.

bruinsden

PRO/BOS Bruins!!!
Jul 2, 2006
Rhode Island
If Chara can't go game five how do people feel about Vaak in the lineup over Kampfer. How important is it to have the same handedness out there?

Reactions: Cronuss

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
If Chara can't go game five how do people feel about Vaak in the lineup over Kampfer. How important is it to have the same handedness out there?
I think it is a slap in the face to Kampfer when he's played well for us all season and in the playoffs.

Kampfer in over Vaak and it isn't even close.

Reactions: bruinsden

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
I think it is a slap in the face to Kampfer when he's played well for us all season and in the playoffs.

Define well, because he isn't good. Guy won't even be here next year. If they think Vaak can help them win, play him. Ice the best line up.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

Okay but who plays left side then?

I tend to agree with you that it will be Kampfer sliding in just due to the time of the year and the conditioning/experience factor, but who switches to left side?

And man...whoever moves over, that's a rough left side of the defense. Moore has been okay, but then it's Krug and somebody coming over from the right side. Good luck to us.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Define well, because he isn't good. Guy won't even be here next year. If they think Vaak can help them win, play him. Ice the best line up.
Hmm. Scored a huge goal when he played game 1 of the Carolina series. Been steady in the regular season when inserted in the line up.

Is a vet, has experience as he was a Black Ace in 2011.

Kampfer over Vaakanainen easily.

Reactions: Fenian24

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Okay but who plays left side then?

I tend to agree with you that it will be Kampfer sliding in just due to the time of the year and the conditioning/experience factor, but who switches to left side?

And man...whoever moves over, that's a rough left side of the defense. Moore has been okay, but then it's Krug and somebody coming over from the right side. Good luck to us.
I think Carlo can play on the left.

Hopefully Gryz is ready to go and this discussion is all for not.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Hmm. Scored a huge goal when he played game 1 of the Carolina series. Been steady in the regular season when inserted in the line up.

Is a vet, has experience as he was a Black Ace in 2011.

Kampfer over Vaakanainen easily.

He was pretty bad in the regular season. Played 11 and 15 minutes. Meh. If Gryz isn't back, whoever plays will probably play 10-12 minutes while everyone else picks up the slack. Kampfer is easily the 10th best NHL D and won't be given a second thought after his contract is up.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Vaakanainen should not even be an option. There are at least three D ahead of him. Four if you include zombie Chara.

Reactions: Alicat

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Vaakanainen should not even be an option. There are at least three D ahead of him. Four if you include zombie Chara.

Who are these 3 D?

Miller, Gryz, and Chara are currently hurt. That leaves just Kampfer from the NHL squad. Out of the providence D that leaves him, Zboril, and Lauzon. I think he's better than the other two currently. He's not a good option, but when up to 3 D are hurt, there tends to not be good options anymore.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Who are these 3 D?

Miller, Gryz, and Chara are currently hurt. That leaves just Kampfer from the NHL squad. Out of the providence D that leaves him, Zboril, and Lauzon. I think he's better than the other two currently. He's not a good option, but when up to 3 D are hurt, there tends to not be good options anymore.

Moore.

BruinFanSam

Mar 24, 2010
Boston

Bruce Cassidy listed him second (after Kampfer) as an option if Chara can't go. Then he mentioned that Kampfer is a right shot and Chara is a left (Vaak is a left) so Kampfer may not make the most sense. Paraphrasing here but sounds like he is at least in the mix.

Reactions: Salem13

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Already playing

Ah, I misread the post. I agree with you, there are not three guys ahead of Vaak. One, maybe, in Lauzon, but after that?? Fully healed squad, then yeah Vaak is probably 5th on the LD side depth, but now, he could be the next man up. I think I'd go with Lauzon if it comes to that for next game because he plays a more physical game, but Vaak could be the guy.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Who are these 3 D?

Zboril and Lauzon, more experience and both willing to be physical. In any case Kampfer, Zboril or Lauzon shouldn't see more than 10 minutes hopefully.

BruinFanSam

Mar 24, 2010
Boston
Ah, I misread the post. I agree with you, there are not three guys ahead of Vaak. One, maybe, in Lauzon, but after that?? Fully healed squad, then yeah Vaak is probably 5th on the LD side depth, but now, he could be the next man up. I think I'd go with Lauzon if it comes to that for next game because he plays a more physical game, but Vaak could be the guy.
is Lauzon a LD or RD?

I don't love playing Kampfer here because then you'd have to mix up the pairings a bit to account for L/R mixes... Kampfer has played alot more games, however.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Vaak’s probably my 4th choice if Z and Gryz can’t go. He played 18 NHL minutes this year and dealt with injuries. I’m not throwing him into the fire here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad