Recalled/Assigned: (UPDATE: Markstrom recalled/Erikkson down)

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
If our top 2 goalies are hurt we'd be in the same situation as any other team in the NHL would be. Florida had their goalie coach dress as a backup a few weeks ago. The Blues at one point signed the corpse of Martin Brodeur. Calling us a circus because we'd be in a crappy situation without our top 2 goalies is silly.

Yea maybe you're right. But this situation with Markstrom is reaching titanic to iceberg proportions.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
You've completely missed my point. Willie isn't going to play either Utica goalie unless Lack falters. This game vs. TO after Lack was less than stellar vs the Kings proves that.

Yes, they are a "farm team", but if Lack is playing all the games how is rotating rusty goalies game after game in Utica helping Vancouver?

The general consensus is nobody expects Marky to get a start from Willie again until Vancouver has clinched or is out, so if that's the case do you assume he stays in Utica and Jokie stays up there and that's it?

Simple if we need our 3rd goalie, we want Markstrom to be ready and not rusty or at least with as little rust as possible. You never know if Lack might get hurt one of these games and at the end of the day the goal is the best possible team for the Canucks not for the Comets. Its important for the Comets to win but not as important as for the 'nucks to win.

That's one of the main reason to have your own farm team. You can play lesser players more if you want to develop. Put them in roles where they might not be the best player in that role but it helps your long term success (as a franchise). Or in this case, use Utica as a place to get your backup goalie action and rotate them as needed. For example BG is playing the wing for Utica because 'nucks want to develop him in the wing. The best thing for Utica would actually have him play C since he's much better in that position rather than trying to learn how to play the wing.

Don't get me wrong, it would be great if Utica can make a long run and it does help the 'nucks if Utica makes a long run. But if it means Utica misses the playoffs or loses in the first round in exchange for the 'nucks having a better prepared backup goalie, you'll find almost all 'nucks fan rather have Utica out of the playoffs + a better prepared backup vs Utica winning Calder and 'nucks having a rusty backup when/if they need him.

Also Markstrom was great all year with Utica and even after his injury never really looked bad so its not like you're getting back a bad goalie and the rust might wear off in a game or two. We likely won't recall Markstrom again unless its to play him or Miller isn't ready for the playoffs, which means there's a good chance Utica gets their #1 for the playoffs and in good form too so its likely a win-win situation anyways. The only "loser" by this might be Eriksson. He gets a nice little "bonus" for being in the NHL but likely won't see any game action for a while.

Personally i expect Markstrom might be recalled next weekend to play 1 of the back to back games then probably sent back down until the end of the regular season (might play the finale if Miller isn't ready and if its meaningless). If Miller isn't ready by the start of the playoffs, then the situation would stink for Utica but there isn't much you can do about it... that's life of being a farm team.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Markstrom just had a shutout in tonight's game. Personally, Markstrom came into a situation that was never going to shelter him. Played against the Sharks who always seem to get quality chances against the Canucks every game with a healthy blueline let alone the patchwork lineup they had for the game.

Reckage

Mar 12, 2014
Markstrom just had a shutout in tonight's game. Personally, Markstrom came into a situation that was never going to shelter him. Played against the Sharks who always seem to get quality chances against the Canucks every game with a healthy blueline let alone the patchwork lineup they had for the game.

True, but that's the same deck of cards Lack was dealt early in the season. He managed to hold the Canucks in games when they were being badly outplayed.

In all likelihood, Markstrom's next opportunity in the NHL will be very similar. My choice would be the LA game on the back to back, with Eddie getting the Arizona game. Markstrom will just have to make the best of it.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Was flipping through the Hockey News today and read the section about prospects who have been in their Future Watch issue many years running and are still waiting to break out. Markstrom was obviously listed and I saw that at one point he was the #2 prospect in the world, period, not just among goalie prospects. I'm reminded of just how highly touted this guy was.

Really, really hoping the Canucks can help him reach his full potential. If they can, they have a stud goalie on their hands because that's what his potential is and always has been. Like everyone is saying, he really just needs to translate that to the NHL level.

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
Was flipping through the Hockey News today and read the section about prospects who have been in their Future Watch issue many years running and are still waiting to break out. Markstrom was obviously listed and I saw that at one point he was the #2 prospect in the world, period, not just among goalie prospects. I'm reminded of just how highly touted this guy was.

Really, really hoping the Canucks can help him reach his full potential. If they can, they have a stud goalie on their hands because that's what his potential is and always has been. Like everyone is saying, he really just needs to translate that to the NHL level.

Being a Brynäs IF fan I've followed Marky since he broke through - at the most intense scene in swedish hockey, the demotion playoffs - and seen the potential in SHL, AHL and internationals. In the NHL he has mixed stellar play with mediocre play and some really poor play. Then VAN picked him up and Rollie started working on him and immediately Marky seems calmer and more solid. The year he is having proves that. He has what, 5 starts for the Canucks? 4 of those being after the team was eliminated last year? I don't think that's a big enough sample to make judgment but I also realize that NOW is a bad time for goalie auditions. He'll have to get it done the next one he plays. I'm still hoping he re-signs with the Canucks - at least for 1 year - but that is highly unlikely.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Being a Brynäs IF fan I've followed Marky since he broke through - at the most intense scene in swedish hockey, the demotion playoffs - and seen the potential in SHL, AHL and internationals. In the NHL he has mixed stellar play with mediocre play and some really poor play. Then VAN picked him up and Rollie started working on him and immediately Marky seems calmer and more solid. The year he is having proves that. He has what, 5 starts for the Canucks? 4 of those being after the team was eliminated last year? I don't think that's a big enough sample to make judgment but I also realize that NOW is a bad time for goalie auditions. He'll have to get it done the next one he plays. I'm still hoping he re-signs with the Canucks - at least for 1 year - but that is highly unlikely.

Cool, thanks for the insight.

Would have thought you were a Farjestad BK fan based on your location. Then again, my location is Edmonton so...yeah.

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
Cool, thanks for the insight.

Would have thought you were a Farjestad BK fan based on your location. Then again, my location is Edmonton so...yeah.

I'm originally not from here so that's why. My dad and grandad are both Brynäs IF supporters.

Yeah, Marky came in as a 17 yo and backstopped us to - 2nd most "cups" and never been relegated before or after- a retained SHL-status. Then he was our #1 ahead of Lindbäck and then Läck. Now, Marky is the AHL All Star whilst Lindbäck is playing in the big league and Eddie is on the verge of becoming a solidified NHL #1. Prospects and player development is not an exact science, that's for sure.

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
So, which game(s) do we think he gets? I'm betting CBJ and/or AZ. Also, credit to management who saw an opportunity to get their backup some much needed rebound minutes (I'm coining that as an official hockey term) and took it. I like how they seem to act proactively. I'm ignoring that they might be doing it so that they can possibly unload Marky or Eddie at the draft ;)

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I don't know guys, I was a proponent of just leaving him down in Utica. It has nothing to do with his one start with the Canucks and everything to do with what's best for his continued development. It would be nice to just see him help carry the Comets down the stretch and in the playoffs and start fresh with the big club next year.

Plus, it would have been nice to get Eriksson in a game and see what he can do.

Phred Phlinstone

Feb 12, 2015
White Rock, BC
So, which game(s) do we think he gets? I'm betting CBJ and/or AZ. Also, credit to management who saw an opportunity to get their backup some much needed rebound minutes (I'm coining that as an official hockey term) and took it. I like how they seem to act proactively. I'm ignoring that they might be doing it so that they can possibly unload Marky or Eddie at the draft ;)

Betting that Markstrom gets a start vs. the Coyotes, the only back end of a back-to-back. Lack will have had 2 days between the Leafs and Flyers, and will have a day in between his starts vs. the Flyers, Jackets and Kings. Would mean that Markstrom will have gone a full week in between starts, which is a risk...but a risk well worth taking, IMO.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
If our top 2 goalies are hurt we'd be in the same situation as any other team in the NHL would be. Florida had their goalie coach dress as a backup a few weeks ago. The Blues at one point signed the corpse of Martin Brodeur. Calling us a circus because we'd be in a crappy situation without our top 2 goalies is silly.

Ottawa has improved since their top 2 goalies went down.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I don't know guys, I was a proponent of just leaving him down in Utica. It has nothing to do with his one start with the Canucks and everything to do with what's best for his continued development. It would be nice to just see him help carry the Comets down the stretch and in the playoffs and start fresh with the big club next year.

Plus, it would have been nice to get Eriksson in a game and see what he can do.

This summer they have to get rid of a goalie. Markstrom isn't going to stick around if he's not guaranteed an NHL spot, so it makes sense that they have to see what they have in him given this opportunity with Miller down.

YouppiKiYay

Jul 3, 2011
Bellingham, WA
I'm still hoping he re-signs with the Canucks - at least for 1 year - but that is highly unlikely.

Why do you say that? Because you think the Canucks are done with him? Or because you think he's done with the Canucks?

I don't know what to think anymore. The easiest thing would have been for the Canucks to trade Lack at the draft, then groom Markstrom for a couple years behind Miller. But the optics of Markstrom's last start, combined with his spotty NHL record, makes committing to him tough.

I don't know how they can turn away from a popular and talented goalie like Lack. But with Miller signed for two more years and Lack likely to demand starter's money at the end of next season, I don't know how to fit Lack under the cap. I assume Miller at $6 million a year and with a NTC will be tough to unload.

For now, I give Markstrom the Columbus game -- I don't think he should sit until next weekend against Arizona without another start -- and see what happens.

Last edited:

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
AllMarkstrom will succeed in the NHL, he just needs to get one good game in to get rolling. He has already proven himself at every level with sheer dominance, its Just matter of breaking down a mental wall at the NHL level.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
This summer they have to get rid of a goalie. Markstrom isn't going to stick around if he's not guaranteed an NHL spot, so it makes sense that they have to see what they have in him given this opportunity with Miller down.

Sadly, I think the best option is to trade Markstrom. It's certainly not his fault because he hasn't been given the opportunity, but he just hasn't proven himself enough to justify trading Lack and investing the future in him. His value and confidence has undoubtedly gone up with the stellar year he's had in the AHL so his rights may fetch the Canucks as much as a mid round pick. It's better for him as well to be traded somewhere where he'll get a better opportunity.

In my mind San Jose would be a perfect option. Niemi nor Stalock seem to be long term options for the Sharks and their goalies in the system are:

Troy Grosenick
Aaron Dell
J.P. Anderson
Fredrik Bergvik (Europe)

They would likely take a flier on Markstrom.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Markstrom cleared waivers at the start of this season, then had another season where he hasn't established himself as an NHL goalie.

His trade value is zero.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Markstrom cleared waivers at the start of this season, then had another season where he hasn't established himself as an NHL goalie.

His trade value is zero.
To be fair, he's had all of 8 minutes to try. He couldn't do much more in the AHL in order to move to the next level, so I'm not sure his own value should really be affected by the circumstances. That is, if a GM were interested in him in November, I'd hope he still would be if he's rational. I don't know how much interest there was at any point, though, given the goalie glut around the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad