Recalled/Assigned: (UPDATE: Markstrom recalled/Erikkson down)

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
Tough to give Markstrom another start here, we are in the thick of it and he totally melted down in his only appearance. Gotta have a backup the coaches are actually comfortable playing if need be.

Although, wasn't Erikson the guy who came in as the backup and got to experience the seven minutes of 5-on-3 in his first ever NHL game?

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Makes sense to me. Over the next 4 days including today the Canucks play 1 games while the Comets play 3. Markstrom will get some playing time down there and probably be back up on Monday.

Hopefully this is the case. They need to get him some games in.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Let me see if I understand this logic coming from the majority of you guys. Marky comes back to Utica to get some playing time in order to get sharp once again. Can't have him playing rusty.

Jokie who was rusty and was thrust back into action as such, when Marky was recalled, struggled his first couple of starts. He is now back in last year's excellent starter form (he was first star and played fantastic in their 2-1 OT loss in Chicago Wednesday) and now he goes up to Vancouver and sits for ever how many games.

Marky gets it back together and returns to Vancouver and Jokie goes back to Utica at the crungh time pre-playoffs to start again for the Comets covered in rust once again. In all of this Lack just keeps playing. How exactly does that work out to the best for the Comets? They get a rusty Marky, lacking in confidence according to all I read, lose a playing well Jokie, then lose Marky when he is good again, and get a rusted over Jokie in return once again.

So in short, Vancouver loses nothing while riding Lack and the Comets go down the road during the toughest part of their season riding two goalies who are trying to regain their game form for one of the weakest scoring teams in the AHL.

The smarter path here is to make a decision on who they want. Keep him and give him a start or two until Miller gets back. Leave the other guy in Utica and let the team ride him at his best just like Vancouver rides Lack. That gives both teams the best chance to finish the best they can. Both teams make the playoffs and take their chances going forward with their best chance between the pipes. Seems like sound managerial franchise logic to me.

SopelFan*

um ya. hence the term "farm team". sorry but the big club is more important and always will be.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
um ya. hence the term "farm team". sorry but the big club is more important and always will be.

You've completely missed my point. Willie isn't going to play either Utica goalie unless Lack falters. This game vs. TO after Lack was less than stellar vs the Kings proves that.

Yes, they are a "farm team", but if Lack is playing all the games how is rotating rusty goalies game after game in Utica helping Vancouver?

The general consensus is nobody expects Marky to get a start from Willie again until Vancouver has clinched or is out, so if that's the case do you assume he stays in Utica and Jokie stays up there and that's it?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Let me see if I understand this logic coming from the majority of you guys. Marky comes back to Utica to get some playing time in order to get sharp once again. Can't have him playing rusty.

Jokie who was rusty and was thrust back into action as such, when Marky was recalled, struggled his first couple of starts. He is now back in last year's excellent starter form (he was first star and played fantastic in their 2-1 OT loss in Chicago Wednesday) and now he goes up to Vancouver and sits for ever how many games.

Marky gets it back together and returns to Vancouver and Jokie goes back to Utica at the crungh time pre-playoffs to start again for the Comets covered in rust once again. In all of this Lack just keeps playing. How exactly does that work out to the best for the Comets? They get a rusty Marky, lacking in confidence according to all I read, lose a playing well Jokie, then lose Marky when he is good again, and get a rusted over Jokie in return once again.

So in short, Vancouver loses nothing while riding Lack and the Comets go down the road during the toughest part of their season riding two goalies who are trying to regain their game form for one of the weakest scoring teams in the AHL.

The smarter path here is to make a decision on who they want. Keep him and give him a start or two until Miller gets back. Leave the other guy in Utica and let the team ride him at his best just like Vancouver rides Lack. That gives both teams the best chance to finish the best they can. Both teams make the playoffs and take their chances going forward with their best chance between the pipes. Seems like sound managerial franchise logic to me.

As previously stated...

Sorry Utica, Canucks > "The Farm".

The idea is to get Markstrom some game action, get him feeling good again, pump up his confidence and plug him in to his next NHL start rolling. Not coming off that trainwreck that was his last NHL start and then stewing over it for a couple weeks without a wink of game action.

Utica will have to deal with it. And the idea is...Markstrom is an AHL all-star netminder...he ought to be able to stop some pucks for the Comets while he's there, he's done a pretty bang up job previously.

So long as Markstrom goes down and plays well, it won't be long before i'd expect they swap them back and get Markstrom into an NHL start and Eriksson back into an AHL workhorse role. Might only be a week. Eriksson's not gonna rust away to nothing in that timeframe, and he's not going to resent some nice bonus time up with the big club.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver

They're goalies, not cartons of milk. They aren't going to spoil if you leave them out for a few days. I can't see this having a real adverse effect on the goaltending situation in Utica.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Way to advertise they have no faith in the guy.

This management group isn't inspiring confidence.

The Poacher

Dec 30, 2010
Pitt Meadows
Way to advertise they have no faith in the guy.

This management group isn't inspiring confidence.

Unless they've already discussed the plan with Markstrom which I'm sure they have. Than its a mutural understanding between both parties and has the proper affect. Which is for him to get sharpe down on the farm and come back up for a planned start.

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
Judging by what WD said - "he's going down to play a few games" - I'd be very surprised if this was in fact anything else than a way to have a game sharp Markström for his next planned start (LA or AZ most likely). It was never a storm and it isn't a confidence assassination. It's management actually being proactive and keeping their #3 guy fit for when the #1B has to rest while #1A is out. They don't want a rusty Marky coming in after what happened against SJ.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Judging by what WD said - "he's going down to play a few games" - I'd be very surprised if this was in fact anything else than a way to have a game sharp Markström for his next planned start (LA or AZ most likely). It was never a storm and it isn't a confidence assassination. It's management actually being proactive and keeping their #3 guy fit for when the #1B has to rest while #1A is out. They don't want a rusty Marky coming in after what happened against SJ.

Interesting. Everyone says they don't want a rusty Marky to start a game for Vancouver. Understandable. However, the argument becomes reversed for Eriksson. "They don't want a rusty Marky coming in after what happened against SJ." "Eriksson's not gonna rust away to nothing in that timeframe" "They're goalies, not cartons of milk. They aren't going to spoil if you leave them out for a few days." Apparently sitting out a few games before going back in is of no consequence for Eriksson, but a major concern for Markstrom.

I don't understand the reversal of logic.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Interesting. Everyone says they don't want a rusty Marky to start a game for Vancouver. Understandable. However, the argument becomes reversed for Eriksson. "They don't want a rusty Marky coming in after what happened against SJ." "Eriksson's not gonna rust away to nothing in that timeframe" "They're goalies, not cartons of milk. They aren't going to spoil if you leave them out for a few days." Apparently sitting out a few games before going back in is of no consequence for Eriksson, but a major concern for Markstrom.

I don't understand the reversal of logic.
I think people got caught up in the Utica's needs vs Vancouver thing.

Your initial post was right - this move only makes sense if they plan to play Markstrom when he returns. If they plan to ride Lack non-stop then this is pointless of Van and a net negative for Utica.

SopelFan*

yes but if the canucks want to play markstrom then he needs to be game ready and get some confidence back. hence going down and playing and coming back up. lack will need a rest at some point. though miller should be back in 11 games or so.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC

Maybe you shouldn't follow a farm team as this is going to be a continuous source of frustration for you. I won't say that the Canucks don't care about the Comets' needs, but at this particular time of the season in the Canucks particular situation, they care about maybe 0.1%.

They want Markstrom to get some games in while the Canucks go through a fairly slack stretch of the schedule. He will probably be called back up before the road trip, as they have back-to-back games in LA and Arizona. I would expect Markstrom to start the second half in Arizona.

How this impacts the Comets is ... not irrelevant but pretty close.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
after management not wanting the goaltending to turn into a circus this year, the goaltending has turned into a circus. Godspeed, Lack.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I don't know, I'm with Bad Goalie here.

I'd ultimately rather just leave Markstrom down there to help the Comets down the stretch and into the playoffs. There is no sense in bringing him back up again for the sake of, what?, maybe 2 starts.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Canucks' needs >>>> Comets' needs

That's just how it is

I think what Bad Goalie is trying to say is the Canucks are able to satisfy their own needs while also satisfying Utica's needs. If they're going to ride Lack anyway, send Markstrom back down and keep him down.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
I think what Bad Goalie is trying to say is the Canucks are able to satisfy their own needs while also satisfying Utica's needs. If they're going to ride Lack anyway, send Markstrom back down and keep him down.

And if Lack gets hurt in-game? (knocks on every piece of wood in the house)

c-i-r-c-u-s

This team simply can't have a normal goaltending situation.

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
I don't know, I'm with Bad Goalie here.

I'd ultimately rather just leave Markstrom down there to help the Comets down the stretch and into the playoffs. There is no sense in bringing him back up again for the sake of, what?, maybe 2 starts.

That's 4 crucial points those 2 starts and management probably rate Marky over Jokie. They want to field the strongest team available when Eddie needs to sit and has thus decided to keep Marky sharp for when that happens.

Or, alternatively: they are doing just that. Sending Markström to Utica while Jokie sits on the bench until Miller returns. We don't know yet, even if WD and journos alluded that Marky will be right back.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
And if Lack gets hurt in-game? (knocks on every piece of wood in the house)

c-i-r-c-u-s

This team simply can't have a normal goaltending situation.

If our top 2 goalies are hurt we'd be in the same situation as any other team in the NHL would be. Florida had their goalie coach dress as a backup a few weeks ago. The Blues at one point signed the corpse of Martin Brodeur. Calling us a circus because we'd be in a crappy situation without our top 2 goalies is silly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad