Recalled/Assigned: (UPDATE: Markstrom recalled/Erikkson down)

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
So we're just going to ride Lack into the ground again? We're not going to give Markstrom another chance before the season ends?
I said at the time of Miller's injury this would happen. Learning from past errors has not been a strong suit of this coaching staff. Perhaps if Markström had a good showing in his only start, Willie might have felt a bit realgooder about him, but I felt certain he wouldn't get more than a start or two. I'm sure Eriksson won't get any. When Markström is back up, maybe one?

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
So we give Markstrom one of the more difficult teams (San Jose) and decide one awful start is enough? I know it's a tight race to make the playoffs, but we could certainly afford trying him out against Toronto, Philly or Columbus.

Or you know they could re-call him before next weekend and start him against Arizona?

arsmaster*

Or you know they could re-call him before next weekend and start him against Arizona?

I think that's what is going to happen as well.

His confidence is shook, the NHL is a massive hurdle for him. Give him some playing time, and some confidence and see if he can beat a team intentionally icing an AHL roster (maybe just tell him he's playing the Portland Pirates).

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
If Markstrom doesn't play another game this year does he set an all-time record for worst NHL goaltending stats in a season? He must have above a 20 GAA after getting yanked against the shots and I'm pretty sure his save% was 25%.

For those that don't know, GAA is per 60 minutes so if you get pulled 30 minutes in your GAA effectively doubles.

Well at the moment his NHL stats for this season reads 23.23 GAA, 0.250 SV%.

Still hope he gets another game, you gotta think that start against San Jose was a combination of nerves but mostly bad luck, and likely not going to happen again.

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
Most likely he'll play a few for Utica while Eriksson backups Eddie and then VAN recalls him before the back to back. Hard to believe that they'd just give up on him after (admittedly his worst ever?) one start. Especially since Rollie is high on him and he's been one of the AHL's best minders this season. But it could also mark the very unceremonious end of Markström's NHL-career (unless he comes back as a FA after a year or two in Europe).

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Makes sense to me. Over the next 4 days including today the Canucks play 1 games while the Comets play 3. Markstrom will get some playing time down there and probably be back up on Monday.

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
Makes sense to me. Over the next 4 days including today the Canucks play 1 games while the Comets play 3. Markstrom will get some playing time down there and probably be back up on Monday.

Yup, and if that turns out to be the case it looks like a really proactive move. They want their backup to be sharp and not completely shot of confidence when Eddie has to take a breather.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
this to do with Markstrom and re-entry waivers I guess?

Nope... Markstrom would not need to clear waivers unless he played 10 games (which he clearly wouldnt unless Lack suddenly got hurt).

This move really has more to do with getting Markstrom playing time AND signs Lack will start every meaningful game (aka every game until we clinch a playoff spot and/or home ice) the rest of the year/till Miller gets back.

Basically a move that probably doesnt matter much for the 'nucks (in terms of play since Markstrom isnt playing) and helps Utica a lot (since Markstrom was pretty much their MVP).

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
You know he could be back, once he gets a few games under his belt in Utica. I like this move as it can rebuild Markstrom's confidence, then call him back up and play him in a game or two. You can't however just sit him, and let him get rusty. I like it if thats the plan, and would rather Eriksson be sitting than Markstrom.

Edit - I see someone posted a tweet from Botch saying a similar thing.

parabola

BOlieve dat
Jul 8, 2004
ಠ_ಠ
Oh my god you guys are so dramatic. He was sent down because he needs to ****ing play.
If neither back up is going to play for awhile might as well try and get Markstrom's confidence back up in Utica until they do find a game where they want to play him.

I guarantee that Markstrom will start more games this year than Eriksson.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
My bet is that Markstrom gets in when we have either A) clinched a playoff spot or B) been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. Hoping for option A although if Miller gets back in time Markstrom might not get any.

I doubt our coaching and managerial staff have learned anything from last year. Now that I think about it, I don't know if they even watched any of our games from last year or they would have at least kept Santorelli around and not wrote off Kass' production as garbage time.

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
My bet is that he will play in Utica's two games over the weekend and be back with the Nucks in time for CBJ/LA and then AZ. I don't think the organization has written him off after one horror show of a start - not after the steps he's taken under Rollie's tutelage.

But I'm keeping the door open for some drama - as the "Eddie or Miller as #1?" doesn't quite do it.. (I kid, I kid).

Frostage

May 23, 2014
I think that's what is going to happen as well.

His confidence is shook, the NHL is a massive hurdle for him. Give him some playing time, and some confidence and see if he can beat a team intentionally icing an AHL roster (maybe just tell him he's playing the Portland Pirates).

I agree, which is why if I was Willie, I would have thrown him right back into the fire and had him start the game in Arizona right after the game vs SJ. Would have revealed a lot about Markstrom and actually given Lack a night off.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Good to see Markstrom was given a fair shot. :shakehead

What do people expect? Can you imagine if Markstrom was in net for the Buffalo game where we surrendered 6 goals?

The whole idea of giving Markstrom an easy start is silly. This is the NHL, no team is easy to play against and Vancouver proved that by losing to the worst teams a couple weeks ago. Further, Markstrom isn't a rookie anymore, he's had experience at the NHL level in Florida before, so it's nothing new. He was given a chance and didn't perform. Now he has to regain his composure and try to aim for the next call-up. No big deal.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Most likely he'll play a few for Utica while Eriksson backups Eddie and then VAN recalls him before the back to back. Hard to believe that they'd just give up on him after (admittedly his worst ever?) one start. Especially since Rollie is high on him and he's been one of the AHL's best minders this season. But it could also mark the very unceremonious end of Markström's NHL-career (unless he comes back as a FA after a year or two in Europe).

Exactly.

It's a non-event. I'm sure this was a plan crafted in discussion with "Rollie the Goalie Wizard" that everyone here worships.

Markstrom goes down to the AHL to play a few games and get a feel for some game action again after a while warming the bench. Eriksson gets to come sit on the bench and collect NHL money, stay in a swaggy hotel with a nice buffet, hang around in the big leagues. When the time comes for Markstrom's next NHL start, they'll swap the cogs around again and Markstrom will come up to play his game, Eriksson goes back to Utica to play.

And hopefully Markstrom doesn't let every shot go in this time. :p:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Yarp. Smart manipulation of the scheduling.

storm meet teacup.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
Oh my god you guys are so dramatic. He was sent down because he needs to ****ing play.
If neither back up is going to play for awhile might as well try and get Markstrom's confidence back up in Utica until they do find a game where they want to play him.

I guarantee that Markstrom will start more games this year than Eriksson.

Yep, that's how I see it too. Nice bonus to reward Eriksson monetarily, helps Utica by getting their starter back for a few games, and gets Markstrom some playing time to rebound from his rough game.

Expect Markstrom to be called back soon.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Good move. As good as Eriksson is, Markstrom is the prospect that the Canucks are more invested in so it's in everyone's best interest that he plays. If Lack is going to carry the load while the backup rides the pine - which this move indicates - it might as well be Eriksson instead.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
My bet is that he will play in Utica's two games over the weekend and be back with the Nucks in time for CBJ/LA and then AZ. I don't think the organization has written him off after one horror show of a start - not after the steps he's taken under Rollie's tutelage.

But I'm keeping the door open for some drama - as the "Eddie or Miller as #1?" doesn't quite do it.. (I kid, I kid).

I don't think this move suggests this either way. It suggests that they've decided to ride Lack and that Markstrom would be better off playing rather than sitting on the bench.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Yep, that's how I see it too. Nice bonus to reward Eriksson monetarily, helps Utica by getting their starter back for a few games, and gets Markstrom some playing time to rebound from his rough game.

Expect Markstrom to be called back soon.

Dont think Eriksson earned any reward... its more just luck of the draw. His play this year hasn't been bad but it hasnt been great either and realistically has been overshadowed by Markstrom's great play that no one talks about his lack of improvement (again he hasnt exactly played bad but also showed no signs of improvement).

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

The Comets play Saturday, Sunday, Wednesday. That's 5 days. Do you mean Monday the 16th or Monday the 23rd? If it's the 16th, they have 2 games. If it's the 23rd they have 5 games. Not nitpicking, just making sure you've got it right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad