Recalled/Assigned: (UPDATE: Markstrom recalled/Erikkson down)

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
Why do you say that? Because you think the Canucks are done with him? Or because you think he's done with the Canucks?

I don't know what to think anymore. The easiest thing would have been for the Canucks to trade Lack at the draft, then groom Markstrom for a couple years behind Miller. But the optics of Markstrom's last start, combined with his spotty NHL record, makes committing to him tough.

I don't know how they can turn away from a popular and talented goalie like Lack. But with Miller signed for two more years and Lack likely to demand starter's money at the end of next season, I don't know how to fit Lack under the cap. I assume Miller at $6 million a year and with a NTC will be tough to unload.

For now, I give Markstrom the Columbus game -- I don't think he should sit until next weekend against Arizona without another start -- and see what happens.

I think that he considers himself an NHL-goalie and that VAN (rightfully until proven otherwise) aren't sure just yet. I don't think Marky is by any means "done" with the Canucks. He has spoken highly about the organization and especially Rollie and Cloutier's coaching. He has reached an even higher level in his play (AHL) than before and like many I believe that once he gets that one good start, and maybe gets to play another game shortly after it, he may catch fire. It's evidently between the ears with him and that hurdle must be passed somehow. People are quick to forget that he's had one decent "season" as a makeshift #1 and has stolen games at this level too. Last year was his first real setback, I'd argue, where he actually went backwards in his development.

It does make the most sense to trade Eddie, groom Marky and have $6 million dollar Miller as the clear cut #1, but for that to even be considered Markström must prove himself worthy of the backup job. You don't trade a guy like Eddie for a gamble. Well, unless Läck has been very open about leaving as an UFA if he's not the #1 or something (which is unlikely).

Last edited:

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Thanks for clarifying.

i really wonder if they have considered having Markstrom see a sports psychologist to help him get over the hump.

Egod another Bellingham poster.

Anyhow, I thought Markstrom was incredibly unlucky vs SJ. While they were all makable saves, none of the goals was really bad either. Just seems to be snakebitten at the NHL level. Hope he goes on a tear.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Markstrom cleared waivers at the start of this season, then had another season where he hasn't established himself as an NHL goalie.

His trade value is zero.

well he cleared because no teams want a 1.8 million dollar goalie playing back up.

Gormo

Holupchi
Nov 12, 2010
So, which game(s) do we think he gets? I'm betting CBJ and/or AZ. Also, credit to management who saw an opportunity to get their backup some much needed rebound minutes (I'm coining that as an official hockey term) and took it. I like how they seem to act proactively. I'm ignoring that they might be doing it so that they can possibly unload Marky or Eddie at the draft ;)

Hopefully none, or at the very least not until we have secured a playoff spot.

I dont even have to be biased one way or the other to know that starting Markstrom for a game that has direct implications as to the fate of this team is inviting disaster, because unfortunately... well... we have all seen how he has performed in a Canuck uniform to date.

Consistently... not good at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3