News Article: [Update] ABOR approves updates for Coyotes to use ASU’s new arena next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I confess I had to look at a map of the larger Phoenix area to get a hang of this discussion. Glendale (and Surprise, what a lovely name! There's a story?), the Gila river itself, Phoenix, Scottsdale, the Salty river (of mostly Canadian tears?), Tempe. It's quite a wide area. Obviously it pales in comparison to the biggest* cities in Europe but it's quite big nevertheless!
Haha, I'd never made that connection. Nice one....although it's actually almost always dry....anyway, the metro area is actually quite a bit larger than most European cities, which tend to be more compact and dense. If you drove from Surprise to Queen Creek in the far SE metro area, you will have driven about the same distance as from Bonn to Dortmund, in one of the largest megalopolises of the EU.
I sort of get or can guess the pop density and the driving distance/ease arguments for and against. One thing I didn't get from the maps: where does the light rail run? (And is it like a "tram" as we call it or something bigger like trains proper?)
The one line connects the centers of Mesa, Tempe, and Phoenix before turning north toward the North Central Phoenix business district and beyond. You might consider it a more modern tram (I've seen similar in newer EU lines ) more here: Valley Metro Rail - Wikipedia

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
The light rail is currently not very extensive, although it does come within walking distance of the proposed Tempe arena (near the green square). If all of the expansion plans happen, then light rail will be a more viable option.

s_phx_extension_map.png

1135eb60-dc77-4e3f-8ccc-cbd109410038-light_rail_2.jpg
Thanks! It does seem to get quite a bit of the residential blocks and, more importantly, some of the major car routes.

Reminds me of Helsinki's "Metro" Underground that when launched in the nineties was the world's shortest Tube (who doesn't love world records?) but has since then grown to be quite a good addition. Bedrock happened to be stable and ideal for tunneling around.

Everyone prefers trams and buses, obviously. Nicer to be overground.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
You guys are blaming everything on the COG. Corporate sponsors will come out of the woodwork and pay big bucks if the team is winning, regardless of location. Hockey culture is the east side? You can't be serious. I agree that the Tempe is a better location, but the team needs to be successful.
They weren't going to get corporate sponsorship with relocation drama for what, 90% of the time they were in Glendale? No company is going to invest when you don't know if the team is going to be here next year. They got out of the subsidy so quick, there was hardly any time to establish any relationships. I switched banks around that time so I could get the Desert Schools (now Desert Financial) debit card. They didn't stick around either. Plus, the only publicity this team has drawn in over 10 years has been negative. What corporation wants to be associated with that? Not any that are worth a damn.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Team is on the cusp of solving two out of three of its most vital issues ever - stable arena and icing a winning team (with owner with the wherewithal to properly run the team seemingly here already with Meruelo). That holy trinity seems to be the key to franchise stability and we've really never had more than a fleeting taste of any of it.

For the arena - honeymoon phase at America West papered over serious arena issues, new arena briefly worked in Glendale before Westgate never amounted to much and battled with the distance factor, now ASU can be a placeholder for probably the proper amount of time until a stable Tempe project can finally provide a checkmark in the arena box.

For the winning team - think not much has to be said here. They were good for a bit at first but still didn't advance in the playoffs. The one run to WCF was great. None of this was ever sustained success that could be built on. Team is in promising hands now, sure you can question if they'll get there, but really the best part is that the fanbase's focus can be on the team itself and not some owner search drama and arena drama.

For the owner - he's stable, has money, has been spending it on the team. Some bumps along the way, but everything is going in the right direction and he's a dream compared to all other ownership this team has ever had.

Think with the solid ownership and the arena on its way, it's much easier for the team to take the right steps to become competitive, and the right kind of competitive where we have a good team for more than a single season or so. That's the key to building up a sustainable fanbase. Providing a run of competitive years will create lifelong fans who will at least still consider spending on the team when its in lean years again. We've essentially never had that and have been building a fanbase on hard mode this entire time.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Fans in waiting? MOST Canadian snowbirds I know in my life all reside in Central Mesa - Very little out on the West Side. So the snowbird geezer crowd should also rise.

Well, having been told my entire life that the West Side is filled with snowbird geezers, you've definitely provided me with a lifetime first. Thanks.

I was treated to a game where I sat like 6 rows off the ice.

I preferred the upper level. Because sitting that close to the ice you lose your sight to roughly half the rink because of the glass distrotion and and constantly need to pop looks between the jumbotron and what's in front of you.

Being up high you can see plays develop in their entirety.

My season tickets were about five rows down from the main level in the lower bowl. We tried going lower our second year but after two games we moved back up and stayed there for the better part of two decades. It was the perfect blend of visibility and convenience.

Bars and restaurants are jammed every weekend in Scottsdale/Tempe now.

Bars and restaurants are jammed everywhere every weekend in the Valley. The only thing the East Valley has over the West Valley is the knot of transplanted hockey culture from places like Chicago and Detroit and other places back east. They're wealthy and they drive the grassroots hockey effort because their kids are involved. But they have also historically been the fans who show up to Coyotes games in other teams' sweaters. The rest of it is pure OIMBYism. Let's just be honest about that, shall we?

The goal for the Coyotes should be to build a homegrown fanbase - same as it should have been when they played in Glendale - rather than to do fanservice for the same cluster of transplant hockey fans in Scottsdale and Mesa that they've courted for over a decade. Starting with ASU students is a good first step. But this needs to be Arizona's team, not the closest team for people who have come to live in Arizona. The former always breeds more passion and franchise loyalty than the latter.

There is zero corporate presence on the west side unless you’re talking industrial.

You're entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts.

Last edited:

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
I switched banks around that time so I could get the Desert Schools (now Desert Financial) debit card. They didn't stick around either. Plus, the only publicity this team has drawn in over 10 years has been negative. What corporation wants to be associated with that? Not any that are worth a damn.

Only stupid advertising agencies wouldn't want to prep up a come-up story in advance. "Through thick and thin" or whatever. The previous ownership and events gets forgotten at that stage. You underestimate or overestimate corporations, methinks. They're run by people.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Only stupid advertising agencies wouldn't want to prep up a come-up story in advance. "Through thick and thin" or whatever. The previous ownership and events gets forgotten at that stage. You underestimate or overestimate corporations, methinks. They're run by people.

Corporate sponsorship is all about ROI and reaching an audience. Companies will sponsor the Coyotes if they feel that their demographic targets align with their marketing strategies. The whole "come-up story" angle is after the fact, after the contracts are signed, as a hook.

Right now, the team has a PR issue because of what happened with Glendale. Meruelo and company are going to have to be on their best behavior to get companies to feel secure in doing business with the team.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Corporate sponsorship is all about ROI and reaching an audience. Companies will sponsor the Coyotes if they feel that their demographic targets align with their marketing strategies. The whole "come-up story" angle is after the fact, after the contracts are signed, as a hook.

Right now, the team has a PR issue because of what happened with Glendale. Meruelo and company are going to have to be on their best behavior to get companies to feel secure in doing business with the team.
I agree.

If they feel it.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012

Off topic a bit, but I wonder what Waste Management gets out of sponsoring the Phoenix Open. Every place I've lived, there was no choice on trash collection.

Or what about USPS sponsoring a cycling team where 98% of the fans are in Europe.

Reactions: PainForShane

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Well, having been told my entire life that the West Side is filled with snowbird geezers, you've definitely provided me with a lifetime first. Thanks.

My season tickets were about five rows down from the main level in the lower bowl. We tried going lower our second year but after two games we moved back up and stayed there for the better part of two decades. It was the perfect blend of visibility and convenience.

Bars and restaurants are jammed everywhere every weekend in the Valley. The only thing the East Valley has over the West Valley is the knot of transplanted hockey culture from places like Chicago and Detroit and other places back east. They're wealthy and they drive the grassroots hockey effort because their kids are involved. But they have also historically been the fans who show up to Coyotes games in other teams' sweaters. The rest of it is pure OIMBYism. Let's just be honest about that, shall we?

The goal for the Coyotes should be to build a homegrown fanbase - same as it should have been when they played in Glendale - rather than to do fanservice for the same cluster of transplant hockey fans in Scottsdale and Mesa that they've courted for over a decade. Starting with ASU students is a good first step. But this needs to be Arizona's team, not the closest team for people who have come to live in Arizona. The former always breeds more passion and franchise loyalty than the latter.

Ive been to Westgate on non venue nights, it is half empty, downtown Scottsdale and Tempe are always jammed, there is a big difference. The demographics were wrong for a Glendale fan base, it just didn't happen, east valley is much better, more money there to spend. Having a stadium next to the ASU campus, no better way to build a home grown base than that. The Chicago/Detroit where ever fans will cycle out over time, kids don't have the affiliations.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona

I work in Surprise and we get flooded with snowbirds from Canada except the last two years because of Covid. Definitely felt it. I love when they come in because almost all of them are willing to talk hockey. Soon as I hear the accent I ask them who their team is and the conversation starts. Funny part is almost all of them feel bad for us because of how horrible the team is but they love how cheap the tickets are in comparison. It's sucked not having near as many the last two years. They really need to get rid of that metric system crap though. Miles not kilometers!

Most of my years were in 209 row C. My favorite spot is 210 Row T. You're right, the better view and closer to the concourse is way more convenient.

I was at Kabuki last night, Tuesday. This crap about it being empty when the Coyotes aren't playing just isn't true. They were doing some fitness thing in the spade between the arena and where Kabuki is. Everything was full including Kabuki. They give me $15 on my Kabuki card every year during my birthday month. Hardly covers a tenth of the bill but it still gets me in the door. Smart marketing.

I just don't get the bashing of the west side. It's to the point where people continually make up shit. Why? It's not our fault the team couldn't get the east valley to pay for an arena the last 20 years. I guarantee I'm not going to complain about where the arena is or the city it's in even though I'll rarely get to go if ever. Now hockey fans, corporate sponsors AND tons of Canadians don't live in the west valley? Christ people. What's next? The coyotes (animal version) you see running around are just visiting from the east valley?

Reactions: Summer Rose

Knights2017

Deactivated Coyotes Fan
Jan 13, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
Remo, you’re taking it too personal. I’ve lived in surprise and worked in Avondale and Glendale. It’s not ignorant or an opinion. The coyotes have numbers and demographics to look at. The proof is in the pudding. Let it go

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Off topic a bit, but I wonder what Waste Management gets out of sponsoring the Phoenix Open. Every place I've lived, there was no choice on trash collection.

Or what about USPS sponsoring a cycling team where 98% of the fans are in Europe.
Where else do you get this type of free marketing on a Friday morning at 10:19am? Waste Management knows what they’re doing!

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
For the life of me I do not understand watching golf. Let alone getting loaded whilst watching golf.

I have golfed, but I'm not a golfer. But my dad is, so back in the early 80s he took me to the Phoenix Open when it was held at the Phoenix Country Club. It was impressive how far and accurate the pros can hit the ball, which is hard to appreciate on TV. It was an eye-opener, but I have no desire to do it again.

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
.I was at Kabuki last night, Tuesday. This crap about it being empty when the Coyotes aren't playing just isn't true. They were doing some fitness thing in the spade between the arena and where Kabuki is. Everything was full including Kabuki. They give me $15 on my Kabuki card every year during my birthday month. Hardly covers a tenth of the bill but it still gets me in the door. Smart marketing.

As someone who frequents Westgate, and used to work there throughout college, I promise everyone Westgate is full on weeknights. The crap about “oh wednesdays in Westgate with nothing at the arena means it’s empty” is a straight up lie. Maybe you got lucky and we’re there the two slow days a month but my goodness that just isn’t true

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Remo, you’re taking it too personal. I’ve lived in surprise and worked in Avondale and Glendale. It’s not ignorant or an opinion. The coyotes have numbers and demographics to look at. The proof is in the pudding. Let it go
Just because you don't like this side of town doesn't make your opinion fact and opinion is the nicest thing I can call your "proof". Not personal. Calling out BS for what it is.

Knights2017

Deactivated Coyotes Fan
Jan 13, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
Just because you don't like this side of town doesn't make your opinion fact and opinion is the nicest thing I can call your "proof". Not personal. Calling out BS for what it is.
What are you even arguing here? You're disputing the demographics and numbers the Coyotes have? Are you disputing the amount of rinks east of central versus west of central? You make no sense at all except that this is personal to you and you're pissed the Coyotes are moving to where their fans largely exist and where most hockey fans live.

Sidenote re: Westgate being a ghost town on non game nights - this used to be true before Dave and Busters opened up. The problem is, the people going to westgate aren't hockey fans because demographically it isn't a hockey area. Westgate will be fine, the arena on the other hand... is City of Glendale's problem. It's hilarious that they are sinking even more money into it when they owe debt.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
I have golfed, but I'm not a golfer. But my dad is, so back in the early 80s he took me to the Phoenix Open when it was held at the Phoenix Country Club. It was impressive how far and accurate the pros can hit the ball, which is hard to appreciate on TV. It was an eye-opener, but I have no desire to do it again.
The most interesting question is, can they do the same but while being drunk?

Reactions: RemoAZ

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
For the life of me I do not understand watching golf. Let alone getting loaded whilst watching golf.
When I was a kid, my dad would put it on the tv in the family room and watch it while sitting in his recliner. I’d lay down on the couch. I’d be asleep within four minutes. Haha. The wind, the birds, and the whispering. Great sleep-aid!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad