News Article: [Update] ABOR approves updates for Coyotes to use ASU’s new arena next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
What will annual losses be in a 5 ,000 seat arena

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
This is a good pick me up. I've been having a hard time connecting with the team this season. Too many loose ends and unknowns has me distancing myself a bit. The lack of stability is exhausting.

Anyways, we needed this. Let's hope it finalizes.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
This is a good pick me up. I've been having a hard time connecting with the team this season. Too many loose ends and unknowns has me distancing myself a bit. The lack of stability is exhausting.

Anyways, we needed this. Let's hope it finalizes.
Murelo is a billionaire not a multi-billionaire. I don't think he can sustain that kind of loss for four seasons.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If I had to guess, I’d say Glendale’s 1st preference is a long-term lease agreement with the Coyotes. Their next best scenario is a short-term lease, with wildly favorable terms (relative to all previous lease agreements). I think they have reached a point where they are willing to let the Coyotes leave, though. They’re beyond the “ do whatever it takes” phase. So while I think losing the Coyotes after this season is their least preferred outcome, they’re willing to let it get to that point.

If I had to guess, the Coyotes are 100% unwilling to do a long-term lease with Glendale, unless it’s laughably favorable. Like basically free. I think they’d much rather avoid dumping 15 million dollars into completely needless NCAA required renovations at the brand-new ASU rink. I think they’d MUCH rather do a reasonable short-term lease extension with Glendale. Like whatever the regular lease agreement is PLUS whatever they would’ve had to pay to renovate the ASU facility, but nothing extra beyond that.

I think we’re going to see a three year extension at Gila River. And it’s going to be basically the same lease terms but the Coyotes will pay like 10-15mil extra to update the arena for COG.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Murelo is a billionaire not a multi-billionaire. I don't think he can sustain that kind of loss for four seasons.

He's supposedly worth $2B. That and it's all about the online betting. He'll be fine.

Edit: I don't think we'd be here if the gambling license wasn't attached to owning the team.

Reactions: IrishFin

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
He's supposedly worth $2B. That and it's all about the online betting. He'll be fine.

I'm down as someone who has been skeptical of his absolute wealth especially after the covid shutdowns of some of his businesses for awhile.
But that they are apparently willing to do this is at least some evidence they can absorb the hit.

Like any option it all hinges on getting the final arena deal, same as it ever was.

Reactions: Kai Yo T

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
What will annual losses be in a 5 ,000 seat arena
Gotta think it must cost at least $100 million a year to run an NHL team. Also might be very hard to generate $50 million in a 5000 seat arena. That's a lot of eaten money a year with just guesstimate numbers, possible reality is worse.

Reactions: DancesWithWookies

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
I'm down as someone who has been skeptical of his absolute wealth especially after the covid shutdowns of some of his businesses for awhile.
But that they are apparently willing to do this is at least some evidence they can absorb the hit.

Like any option it all hinges on getting the final arena deal, same as it ever was.

Yeah. I don't think he'd go through all of this on a 'I think we can afford to do this' basis. I assume he knows what he's doing. I just need to see progress. Still a HUGE hill to climb yet.

Reactions: Prarievarg

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
This basically tells Tempe they want to be here, and we want to be here now.

This also helps ASU. Say they outgrow the ASU facility, they will have a shiny, new, 16,000 seat arena right down the road they can use from time to time.

Reactions: Kai Yo T

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Gotta think it must cost at least $100 million a year to run an NHL team. Also might be very hard to generate $50 million in a 5000 seat arena. That's a lot of eaten money a year with just guesstimate numbers, possible reality is worse.

What's the tv contract worth?

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
fZc3oXu.jpeg

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
It seems to me that this is the perfect time to play in a 5000 arena. Given the team and the COVID attendance has been way down anyway, and around most of the league for sure. In 3 years things might be wide open again and right on time a 17,000 person arena is ready for the team.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Advantages to playing at ASU.

- Moves the team to Tempe where they want to end up.
- Partnering with ASU could bring some influence with the Tempe city council. (IF.... Meruelo puts up a lot of his own finances in getting it done. Shows his commitment.)

Downside.

- A ton of moving pieces still.
- Huge timeline/logistics issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad