News Article: [Update] ABOR approves updates for Coyotes to use ASU’s new arena next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
I think revenue sharing is what is bothering people and if you want to look at it not as a Coyote fan you might see there is a point. The Coyote's have received the max revenue sharing for years now but there was always hope they would bring in enough money to pay their own way. Now you cannot make that argument as it just isn't possible in such a small arena. You fellas should just except that for the next few years we will be the joke of the League because the reality is we are the joke of the league. Hopefully this is the way out.

Well, on the plus side, at least we aren't as much of a joke as the Leafs. Can't remember the last time such a huge fanbase was relevant. Don't think it was in my lifetime. I think as universally reviled as we are, there might be a higher percentage of fans that hate the Leafs.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
TBH I find the experience at an NHL game almost the same whether I'm in the lower bowl (aside from like the glass range of say the first 7 rows) and the upper deck (excluding above the nets). Thus I've never felt the need to buy lower bowl seats. I'd rather go to more games in a "worse" seat than spend $120+ per seat per game, when that single game might suck ass. More games = more opportunities for better games.
I moved downstairs because my eyes aren’t what they used to be. I love the upper bowl. I don’t get pick focused up there.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
I, for one don’t give a rip about what every other non coyote fan, coyote hating media, shit on the franchise for no other than just to do so fools have to type, write or say. Really, I don’t give a shit.

This is a hell of a time to be a fan of things go the way they look like they are. Not to mention it’ll be a once in a life time opportunity to take in a game in 5000 fan capacity. I’m jazzed, fellas. Can’t wait to get into that arena.

Last edited:

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I, for one don’t give a rip about what every other non coyote fan, coyote hating media, shit on the franchise for no other than just to do so fools have to type, write or say. Really, I don’t give a shit.

This is a hell of a time to be a fan of things go the way they look like they are. Not to mention it’ll be a once in a life time opportunity to take in a game in 5000 can capacity. I’m jazzed, fellas. Can’t wait to get into that arena.
I took umbrage when there was an organized campaign to turn the Valley against the Coyotes. Otherwise, couldn’t care less. The team is staying put it would seem and I am happy and relieved.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.

This is a hell of a time to be a fan of things go the way they look like they are. Not to mention it’ll be a once in a life time opportunity to take in a game in 5000 fan capacity. I’m jazzed, fellas. Can’t wait to get into that arena.
Just an anecdote. My hometown Liiga team plays in a 4,000 seat barn. Never stopped loving the intensity and closeness of that.

The other local team that used to be a joke got serious moola behind it and built a way bigger barn (and eventually hopped over to the KHL). I had some seats in the nosebleeds there but found out that's not my thing. I'm not a hockey analyst type; I want to feel it. That only happens when you're up close and personal.

Sheesh, you guys might start a revolution. Getting arenas brought back to human size. lol who am I kidding.

But this could be a seriously good experiment, if the tickets aren't too expensive. If not, something tells me you're going to love it more than Gila River.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Sure icing a winner helps, you can't be bad forever or attendance suffers see Suns a few years ago/Coyotes now. The casual fan is in the east valley and are way more likely to go to any event in trendy Scottsdale/Tempe area versus Glendale. This why they are building an entertainment complex as well, restaurants/location, all factors that attract casual fans to an event in this area.
Westgate has restaurants and entertainment as well. The ONLY thing that matters is WINNING, but AM has a long term vision, and that vision is to be in control of everything surrounding his team. Hotels, restaurants and such will be successful if his team is successful. It ALL starts with the team. No team, no arena, no hotels etc.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I don't give a shit either.:thumbu: While this ASU thing might be fun for awhile, I can't wait to attend a game at the new arena. That's if the team is trending in the right direction. If not, they can kiss my ass.

Reactions: Stubu

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Westgate has restaurants and entertainment as well. The ONLY thing that matters is WINNING, but AM has a long term vision, and that vision is to be in control of everything surrounding his team. Hotels, restaurants and such will be successful if his team is successful. It ALL starts with the team. No team, no arena, no hotels etc.
Nobody from the east side is going to Westgate for restaurants or entertainment on weekends. They only go to see a Cardinals or Coyotes game. Bars and restaurants are jammed every weekend in Scottsdale/Tempe now. People are more apt to add a coyote game to their evening since they are out in the area already. It is even a better location than going downtown to a suns game, again, most people don't go down town unless it is for the suns game, it's not a destination for night life either.

I think the location in Tempe is going to surprise us all with really good attendance from casual fans once a new arena is built. We haven't had a location like this for a pro sports team. I think it will work really well. We can't suck like we do now but we should be a pretty consistent playoff team in 2-3 years which will be good enough to draw more fans.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Nobody from the east side is going to Westgate for restaurants or entertainment on weekends. They only go to see a Cardinals or Coyotes game. Bars and restaurants are jammed every weekend in Scottsdale/Tempe now. People are more apt to add a coyote game to their evening since they are out in the area already. It is even a better location than going downtown to a suns game, again, most people don't go down town unless it is for the suns game, it's not a destination for night life either.

I think the location in Tempe is going to surprise us all with really good attendance from casual fans once a new arena is built. We haven't had a location like this for a pro sports team. I think it will work really well. We can't suck like we do now but we should be a pretty consistent playoff team in 2-3 years which will be good enough to draw more fans.
Fans will go if the team is winning. While Tempe is a better location, it will only be full if the team is at least competitive. We have sucked for 20 yrs. and that is why Glendale has failed. People us the location as an excuse not to attend.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Fans will go if the team is winning. While Tempe is a better location, it will only be full if the team is at least competitive. We have sucked for 20 yrs. and that is why Glendale has failed. People us the location as an excuse not to attend.
Disagree, they will go if it is more convenient versus only if they are winning. If we suck attendance will suffer anywhere, if we are great, attendance will be better anywhere. To help both ends of the spectrum, you need to draw in the casual fan. Location, nightlife will go along way to doing that. Also, season ticket holders are in the east valley as are corporate sponsors. To attract more season ticket holders and corporate sponsors a location in Tempe is so much better.

I like Westgate, I think it is as nice as tempe marketplace and other outdoor malls around the valley. It just isn't in an ideal location for casual fans or the season ticket holder and corporate base. I think the entire package will work very well in Tempe.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Hotels, restaurants and such will be successful if his team is successful

Not really. We're talking ~45 guaranteed dates. Yes, AM wanted to do a big development project, but they are separate ventures.

Knights2017

Deactivated Coyotes Fan
Jan 13, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
I think it’s clear that people have their minds made up on this front. But you’re wrong. There is zero corporate presence on the west side unless you’re talking industrial. The hockey fan base is east side, hockey culture is east side. You can’t always win and for a team like the coyotes being close to corporate partners and 85% of hockey fans is integral. Winning or losing the team needs to be accessible.

how is this even a discussion still?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Not really. We're talking ~45 guaranteed dates. Yes, AM wanted to do a big development project, but they are separate ventures.
Separate but wrapped into one. There will be concerts etc. at the arena not just the Coyote dates.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
I don't give a shit either.:thumbu: While this ASU thing might be fun for awhile, I can't wait to attend a game at the new arena. That's if the team is trending in the right direction. If not, they can kiss my ass.
Same boat

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think it’s clear that people have their minds made up on this front. But you’re wrong. There is zero corporate presence on the west side unless you’re talking industrial. The hockey fan base is east side, hockey culture is east side. You can’t always win and for a team like the coyotes being close to corporate partners and 85% of hockey fans is integral. Winning or losing the team needs to be accessible.

how is this even a discussion still?
You guys are blaming everything on the COG. Corporate sponsors will come out of the woodwork and pay big bucks if the team is winning, regardless of location. Hockey culture is the east side? You can't be serious. I agree that the Tempe is a better location, but the team needs to be successful.

Knights2017

Deactivated Coyotes Fan
Jan 13, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
You guys are blaming everything on the COG. Corporate sponsors will come out of the woodwork and pay big bucks if the team is winning, regardless of location. Hockey culture is the east side? You can't be serious. I agree that the Tempe is a better location, but the team needs to be successful.

It is massively on the east side of town hockey culture wise. I have lived in the west valley (Surprise), scottsdale, now in chandler - again, how is this even an argument?? How many rinks are out west?

Peoria AZ ICE? Gila River arena?

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I'm not blaming the COG, its not their fault, the location has proven to not work well, nothing will change that fact, it is well proven the last 15 years. East side corporate sponsors and their customers aren't interested in a 1 hour commute to watch hockey especially on week nights, winning or not. Even after the WCF run, corporate sponsors didn't pick up. 85% of the ticket base is on the east side, I would say thats more hockey culture.

This business model can't be based on us being a top 5 team and perenial cup contender. Those are long odds to achieve consistently. Since we aren't a northern traditional hockey market, we need the right location for it to work (Tempe) and attract corporate sponsors, more season ticket holders and the casual fan.

Last edited:

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Separate but wrapped into one. There will be concerts etc. at the arena not just the Coyote dates.

So you are saying the success of the entertainment district is not dependent on the success of the Coyotes....I agree. :D

Last edited:

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
It is massively on the east side of town hockey culture wise. I have lived in the west valley (Surprise), scottsdale, now in chandler - again, how is this even an argument?? How many rinks are out west?

Peoria AZ ICE? Gila River arena?

I confess I had to look at a map of the larger Phoenix area to get a hang of this discussion. Glendale (and Surprise, what a lovely name! There's a story?), the Gila river itself, Phoenix, Scottsdale, the Salty river (of mostly Canadian tears?), Tempe. It's quite a wide area. Obviously it pales in comparison to the biggest* cities in Europe but it's quite big nevertheless!

I sort of get or can guess the pop density and the driving distance/ease arguments for and against. One thing I didn't get from the maps: where does the light rail run? (And is it like a "tram" as we call it or something bigger like trains proper?)

[*Apparently the city of Rovaniemi in northern Finland is officially the largest city in the European Union, with some 8,000 sq km within city limits before the 'burbs start. The 60k+ city folks are reportedly quite proud of this.]

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
I confess I had to look at a map of the larger Phoenix area to get a hang of this discussion. Glendale (and Surprise, what a lovely name! There's a story?), the Gila river itself, Phoenix, Scottsdale, the Salty river (of mostly Canadian tears?), Tempe. It's quite a wide area. Obviously it pales in comparison to the biggest* cities in Europe but it's quite big nevertheless!

I sort of get or can guess the pop density and the driving distance/ease arguments for and against. One thing I didn't get from the maps: where does the light rail run? (And is it like a "tram" as we call it or something bigger like trains proper?)

[*Apparently the city of Rovaniemi in northern Finland is officially the largest city in the European Union, with some 8,000 sq km within city limits before the 'burbs start. The 60k+ city folks are reportedly quite proud of this.]

The light rail is currently not very extensive, although it does come within walking distance of the proposed Tempe arena (near the green square). If all of the expansion plans happen, then light rail will be a more viable option.

s_phx_extension_map.png

1135eb60-dc77-4e3f-8ccc-cbd109410038-light_rail_2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad