Up front help and we're set to seriously challenge

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The player ranked 91st in scoring last season, which means he's the most productive 2nd liner in the league had 50 points. That doesn't scream elite player who can produce consistently in standalone.

It really sounds like when you say top-6 you really mean 1st liner, like Plekanec who is an average to below average 1st liner.

I understand where you are coming from there are 180 top 6 forwards in the league and 109th in points should automatically makes you a top 6. I never look strictly at points. I'm sure their are some 3rd line players who amass more points than some 2nd line players. I could very well see a guy finish with 30 points who is physical, Strong along the boards, wears opponents down, and who is defensively sound as a Top 6; Depending on how his other linemates fared. Is there a magic number the members of the top two trios need to hit collectively? Or is dominating an opponent with possesion, while winning the +- war enough?

While being 109th in points should put you firmly in the top 6 mix there is much more to it than that.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I understand where you are coming from there are 180 top 6 forwards in the league and 109th in points should automatically makes you a top 6. I never look strictly at points. I'm sure their are some 3rd line players who amass more points than some 2nd line players. I could very well see a guy finish with 30 points who is physical, Strong along the boards, wears opponents down, and who is defensively sound as a Top 6; Depending on how his other linemates fared. Is there a magic number the members of the top two trios need to hit collectively? Or is dominating an opponent with possesion, while winning the +- war enough?

While being 109th in points should put you firmly in the top 6 mix there is much more to it than that.

There are 180 spots, you can rank them however you want, include all the intangibles you want. I have a hard time believing you can find 180 better forwards. The mid point for 2nd line forward would be 135. And again I don't think you can find 135 better forwards. So that makes him at least an above average 2nd liner.

Personally my rough estimate would put him around 100-115. Which puts him firmly in there as a very good 2nd line player.

Ginu

Feb 25, 2009
www.twitter.com
Gallagher's style of play suits playoff hockey. Desharnais' doesn't. That's why this issue is not about size. Desharnais doesn't have a game that will help us be successful. I want to win a Cup one day. Who's with me?

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
There are 180 spots, you can rank them however you want, include all the intangibles you want. I have a hard time believing you can find 180 better forwards. The mid point for 2nd line forward would be 135. And again I don't think you can find 135 better forwards. So that makes him at least an above average 2nd liner.

Personally my rough estimate would put him around 100-115. Which puts him firmly in there as a very good 2nd line player.

Stats don't tell the whole story I'm not talking about intangibles I'm talking about the player and our circumstances. Build me a second line using Brendan as the centerpiece and make sure we don't have two diminutive players on the line which is critical IMO particularly come playoff time. It can't be done unless we use Eller or Chucky at center which isn't happening on this team. Gallagher is best suited as a 3 until such a time as we can.

I can slot him in as our best RW with Max as our best LW but not with DD and very doubtful with Plecky though I wouldn't mind trying...

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Pac-dd- big skilled rw
Galchenyuk -Plek - parenteau
Sekac - Eller -Gallagher
Prust- malhotra- weise

Is a conteNding lineup

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Gallagher is a solid second line player. He can play on the first or third line of course depending on the specifics of a team.

People have forgotten how great he was as a rookie because he spent a season playing with Max and DD, but the time with Plekanec and Galchenyuk will restore people's respect.

Gallagher has great speed, shot, and decent passing ability.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Pac-dd- big skilled rw
Galchenyuk -Plek - parenteau
Sekac - Eller -Gallagher
Prust- malhotra- weise

Is a conteNding lineup

IF McCarron continues his amazing development, that could be our lineup in 12 months!!! Except the Pleks line would be the first line.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Stats don't tell the whole story I'm not talking about intangibles I'm talking about the player and our circumstances. Build me a second line using Brendan as the centerpiece and make sure we don't have two diminutive players on the line which is critical IMO particularly come playoff time. It can't be done unless we use Eller or Chucky at center which isn't happening on this team. Gallagher is best suited as a 3 until such a time as we can.

I can slot him in as our best RW with Max as our best LW but not with DD and very doubtful with Plecky though I wouldn't mind trying...

I'm not even talking about stats, just rank the best 180 forwards and see where Gallagher ends up on that list. My guess is that he'd be an above average 2nd line player (91st to 135th). That makes him a top-6 player period. Not some fringe top-6 player like you claimed. Which line he should play on has nothing to do with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad