Up front help and we're set to seriously challenge

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
We have one established 1st liner in Pacioretty, one potential one in Galchenyuk and a fringe one in Plekanec.

Gallagher is a quality 2nd liner, and Parenteau, Desharnais, Sekac, and Eller are fringe top-6 players.

So I'm not sure we really need a big name forward to take the next step. We are already 6th in 5on5 Goals For. So the overall numbers are a bit deceptive because of how bad the PP has been and that's coaching more so then personnel.

Ideally we'd add another 2nd liner winger, and move Desharnais (Wing or Trade) but it's not like we are missing this huge piece to really take the next step.

Pacioretty is a star first liner, Plekanec is definitely a first liner, Gallagher is a good third, marginal second liner. Weise and Prust are playing well enough to be third liners on most teams.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
Pacioretty is a star first liner, Plekanec is definitely a first liner, Gallagher is a good third, marginal second liner. Weise and Prust are playing well enough to be third liners on most teams.

Disagree about Plekanec. He was a first liner. He isn't anymore. He'd be playing second line on most teams. He's 32. Don't let his early production fool you. Like Bozak (who's outscoring him this season), his numbers will trend downward going forward. Both should be bona fide second liners on a good team.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Disagree about Plekanec. He was a first liner. He isn't anymore. He'd be playing second line on most teams. He's 32. Don't let his early production fool you. Like Bozak (who's outscoring him this season), his numbers will trend downward going forward. Both should be bona fide second liners on a good team.

Bozak has Kessel boosting his stats. Plekanec is the offensive leader on his line which is a big difference. He may be getting up in age but whenever he's used in an offensive role with other quality offensive players he produces.

There are probably about 9-10 teams where he'd be the number one center, granted most of those teams are at the bottom of the standings but a case can be made that he's a first liner, just not a high end first liner.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

I'm not sure how Plekanec is a clear cut 1st liner but Gallagher is a marginal second liner?

Gallagher has put up 92 points in 168 games (Playoffs included). That averages out to 45 points a season. That's more than enough to be considered a second line player on production alone, add in the fact that his net presence contributes to lots of goals where he doesn't get a point and he's a very good second line player.

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton
A guy like Troy Brouwer would be nice on the 2nd or 3rd line, as well if the habs could land Andrej Sekera for the 2nd pairing without giving up core roster player would be amazing.

ssmtl1

Jul 16, 2014
Montreal
I wonder what the asking price for Yakupov is. We need a top 6 RW and I think there could be a good discount right now for this potential 30G scorer.

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
A guy like Troy Brouwer would be nice on the 2nd or 3rd line, as well if the habs could land Andrej Sekera for the 2nd pairing without giving up core roster player would be amazing.

Last season's Sekera would be amazing on this team. He was Carolina's best Dman, their only plus Dman, amazing offensively and defensively.

Having a top 3 of Subban, Markov, Sekera would legitimately be at least top 3 in the league.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013

Sekera is a lefty. What we really need is a right handed long term second pairing guy. I think Nygren could be that but I don't think he's going to get a chance with the Habs.

LeMAD

Mar 1, 2006
Montreal
lemad.freehostia.com
The Habs are contenders to win it all but, in my opinion, they lack punch up front to be considered a top three favorite for the cup.

While their defense has gotten older (and slower) with Gonchar and Allen – I am not convinced that by February or March – that either or both of Tinordi and Beaulieu will be part of the starting line-up after regaining some confidence in Hamilton.
Back to the forwards, we need a jolt up front. In my view – here are assets we can use to improve this.

We have Desharnais, Parenteau, Fucale, Nygren, Pateryn, Thrower, our second pick from Buffalo (for Josh Gorges) that we could dangle to help us up front.
We don’t need superstars – but a couple of solid wingers would really make the difference.

Pac Galchenyuk Gallagher
Perron (Edm) Plek Sekac
Prust Eller Stewart (Buffalo)
Bournival Malhotra Weise

Can we put packages together to receive a Perron and Stewart type players. My thought is Desharnais and Parenteau, for cap reasons, will have to be involved in the trades so will need to add some prospects to make it happen.

Ex:
Desharnais, Pateryn and Fucale for Perron
Parenteau, Nygren and 2nd Round Pick(from Buffalo) for Stewart?

Thoughts?

How is that a better lineup than what we have right now?? Desharnais is a better player than Perron, and Stewart is barely a NHLer. Probably worst than Bourque.

That first line is at best as good as our current one, and the other two are much weaker.

And btw our offense is fine. It's our defense that's pretty mediocre, especially for the playoffs.

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
I don't get the people who want to trade parenteau. He's been good in his role, and he provides us with some good secondary scoring. The problem is that we have another soft playmaking french-Canadien on this team already. DD and Parenteau are interchangeable.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I don't get the people who want to trade parenteau. He's been good in his role, and he provides us with some good secondary scoring. The problem is that we have another soft playmaking french-Canadien on this team already. DD and Parenteau are interchangeable.

Parenteau has pretty much been what we've thought Desharnais could be if he were a winger. Except Parenteau is effective even when away from Patches.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
PAP's been pretty good. Hell of a lot better than Briere. That was a great trade.

68*

We will need a fat dude that can get the rebounds in front of the net.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Byfuglien might be fat but he's incredibly versatile and is actually in good shape. Weird I know, but he's a damn good hockey player and is exactly the type of player that could put this team into the upper echelon in the league, even the haters would have to agree.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Plekanec is 23rd in scoring among centres, with 14 of the 22 ahead of him having worse +/-. Furthermore, he has less PP time than 17 of them, and he is not even playing with our best scoring winger.

Plekanec is a first line player. Of course it would be great to have another 1st line C to be an elite offensive team, but we do already have one.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Parenteau: 10 pts, +2, 4M + depth D + 2nd for
Steward: 2 pts, - 12, 3.8M$

Desharnais : 11 pts, +12, 3.5M$ + depth D + top goalie prospect for
Perron: 9 pts, - 9, 4.2M$

How about... No. Is this a joke? Anthing to get rid of Desharnais, right?

lol people using +/- stats.

Perron scored 28 goals last season, 20 at even strength.

DD still hasn't scored a single goal at 5 on 5 in his last 43 games.

I would gladly trade DD and a 3rd for Perron.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
And yet he's contributing to a first place team, while Perron...

I guess you wouldn't trade DD for Hall because of that mentality???
It's not because a player that plays for a high ranked team means he's better than any players of a bottom team. :teach:

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Yeah that's totally what I said. I guess if you can't win an argument you better invent another one.

What you said that is that basically DD is better because he plays in a good team.

And Perron is bad because he can make horrible better by himself.

What makes you think Perron and his ability to score won't help the Habs to be a better team?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad