Proposal: Unprotected Canucks 1st Round Pick Attached with Eriksson

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Vancouver is a playoff team so the unprotected part doesn’t move the needle. I’m thinking it may cost more than a ~22nd overall pick in a weak 2021 draft. A team like LA should ask did that in the 2022 draft and a 2nd rounder next year.

Vancouver isnt a playoff team. Tampa is a playoff team.

Vancouver is a team who was within 1 point of being in/out with a few other teams, who also had a bad off season (after a really good playoffs).

To me - Vancouver is a team on the bubble that could make playoffs or could not.

I think an "unprotected" first moves the needle a whole lot.

My Habs arent in a position to take on cap space anymore - but at the TDL last year Vancouver is exactly the type of team i wanted to target for unprotected 1st. Case in point - Canucks had 78 points, Rangers had 79 points - and Rangers ended up with Lafreniere.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
Not worth it. Suck it up for next season, bury louie in the minors and hope he bails. Shouldve already done that last year. Next year is a step back year with potential to still be good if things work in our favour. No need to get desperate and keep mortgaging the future.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
Why the f*** would they make up something like that for no reason?

You called the guy human garbage with ZERO proof that they were involved other than people’s word that they were. I’d ask you why the f*** you’d say something like that too

Hoffman’s girlfriend initiated the court hearings to try to clear her name, after trolls bothered the Karlssons anonymously on the internet. They jumped to conclusions and accused someone without one shred of evidence. After it was proven that it didn’t come from Caryks IP address they refused to even look at it. They were ostracized by the wives for no reason and just assumed it was her. And it was made very public. And after all of that, HOFFMAN and his girl are the bad guys? Ok

Last edited:

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I still don't understand why folks keep bringing up a "show me" deal for Hoffman. He's shown he can score. Everybody has seen it. The fact that folks think he still has to earn a long term deal is baffling to me.
Nobody thinks that. Like Hall, Hoffman knows that few teams have the cap space to sign him to a big money long term deal right now. Signing a 1 year deal is not a "Show me deal" it is waiting a year to cash in when more teams have another year of expiring contracts/more cap space.

Reactions: THE Green Man

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
LE is not going to be dealt. The cost is too high. He will be buried in the AHL for 2 years and then his contract will expire. The Canucks have done a very good job of saving cap space and assets this offseason for when they are ready to make a real run at things in 2 years. Unless a deal comes up that is too good to turn down, I expect they will hold the course.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
For what it is worth Eklund clipped this idea and made it his own.

Mike Hoffman, who is definitely the biggest fish still out there, appears to be waiting on the Vancouver Canucks to clear cap space. I am also hearing the Canucks are offering Eriksson to everyone.ALONG with their first round pick, UNPROTECTED. That tells you how much they want and cherish Hoffman.

Feel free to insert joke on where Eklund gets his trade ideas from.

lol glad Eklund is using this thread for his content now.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Something similar to the Lawson Crouse and Bolland for picks trade is probably doable.

Loui Eriksson, Vasili Podkolzin
for
Nashville 2nd & 3rd

Podkolzin is Askarov's teammate in Russia, picked #10 overall in 2019 and ready to come over at the end of this upcoming year.

Van would just happilly ride out LE's contract for the next 2 years over giving up the #1 prospect on their system who they are counting on to be in the lineup at the end of this year or definitely by the start of next year. ELC contracts will be hugee for the Canucks and they are looking for Podz and Hoglander to be factors on the team while on their ELC.

btw when was the last time a top 10 pick recent to his draft year got traded as a sweetner to get rid of a bad contract. genuinely asking.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Marleau had only one year left and cost Leafs a 1st round pick.

Eriksson has two years left and therefore Canucks need to send two 1st round picks. One 1st round isn't going to cut it in today's flat cap environment.
How many times does this deal need to be clarified before people stop posting it as the value of a cap dump. Marleau had a NMC and would only play for Toronto or SJ. Carolina received the 1st to buy Marleau out and have him never play for their team. The 1st round pick was the cost of a buyout, not the cost to trade the player.

Diablo2020

Feb 11, 2020
Calgary
Van would just happilly ride out LE's contract for the next 2 years over giving up the #1 prospect on their system who they are counting on to be in the lineup at the end of this year or definitely by the start of next year. ELC contracts will be hugee for the Canucks and they are looking for Podz and Hoglander to be factors on the team while on their ELC.

btw when was the last time a top 10 pick recent to his draft year got traded as a sweetner to get rid of a bad contract. genuinely asking.

Lawson Crouse and Dave Bollands corpse for 2nd and 3rd round picks

Its the exact example im basing this off.

6 million to sign Hoffman this year, and 6 million in space next year, plus a pick or two for Podkolzin basically

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
The bigger problem is still having to protect him due to NTC unless Loui waves. If they bury him in the minors there is little chance a bitter player would wave, especially knowing they aren’t going to get picked up.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Lawson Crouse and Dave Bollands corpse for 2nd and 3rd round picks

Its the exact example im basing this off.

6 million to sign Hoffman this year, and 6 million in space next year, plus a pick or two for Podkolzin basically

Won't happen.

Benning refused to add Podz and Hoglander for an OEL deal which also included the canucks throwing in a cap dump.

If they didnt do it for OEL they wont do it for 1 year of Hoffman.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
How many times does this deal need to be clarified before people stop posting it as the value of a cap dump. Marleau had a NMC and would only play for Toronto or SJ. Carolina received the 1st to buy Marleau out and have him never play for their team. The 1st round pick was the cost of a buyout, not the cost to trade the player.

Plus they had to move him before July 1st to not be on the hook for his signing bonus. The signing bonus also made him a rather hefty buyout

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I'd be fine with a protected first-round pick, too. Eriksson and Vancouver's first (lottery protected) for a conditional seventh?

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Serious question - what does Vancouver need to move this money for right now? RFA?
Virtanen is an unsigned RFA that will probably get similar $ to Mangiapane in Calgary ($2.5-$3). The Canucks also have not replaced Toffoli as a top 6 winger or Stetcher as a bottom pairing RDH. With just over a million of cap space left the Canucks will need to clear $6ish million if they hope to fill out the roster and not take a huge step backwards.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
If the NHL does a Canadian division and three other divisions, and the Top 4 make the playoffs, are the Canucks a playoff team?

Toronto vs Edmonton vs Vancouver vs Calgary vs Montreal vs Winnipeg vs Ottawa

They top 4 for sure?

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Serious question - what does Vancouver need to move this money for right now? RFA?

Moving Eriksson will allow the Canucks to have around 10mil in cap space.

Virtanen will probably eat up 2.5 of that.

This would open up space to get a Hoffman or Granlund, or possibly even get a player for dicount because a team is trying to unload salary, ala Nate Schmidt.

Ideally they get this done so that they can effeciently use the cap space and compete while Pettersson and Hughes are on their final year of ELC.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

topched88

Jan 21, 2007
The canucks have to eat their bad decissions. They do not have the type of prospects, pick accumulation, and pipeline to give a way a first after we just didnt have a first a second, and were out a third already in the future. Almost all of our top end young talent is already in the NHL. They actually need to take a step back, accumulate picks, and look to start the real window after the next 2 seasons.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Eriksson
Virtanen
2021(top 5 protected)

for

Hirose
Turgeon
Vegas 2021 3rd

?

Would do this if it meant Hoffman was signed for a short term show me deal which is what is being rumored.

OR if the Canucks can can use that 10 mil cap space that this trade would open up and obtain a very good player for cheap.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
"very reliable and responsible bottom six player" :laugh:....c'mon. You don't bench reliable and responsible bottom six players.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
"very reliable and responsible bottom six player" :laugh:....c'mon. You don't bench reliable and responsible bottom six players.

Travis Green does.

LE is probably the only player in the league that was either a healthy scratch or the go to guy to be out on the ice with 1 min left protecting a lead. True story

Reactions: Luckylarry

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Vancouver isnt a playoff team. Tampa is a playoff team.

Vancouver is a team who was within 1 point of being in/out with a few other teams, who also had a bad off season (after a really good playoffs).

To me - Vancouver is a team on the bubble that could make playoffs or could not.

I think an "unprotected" first moves the needle a whole lot.

My Habs arent in a position to take on cap space anymore - but at the TDL last year Vancouver is exactly the type of team i wanted to target for unprotected 1st. Case in point - Canucks had 78 points, Rangers had 79 points - and Rangers ended up with Lafreniere.

their best players are young. Hughes and Peterson only get better. Horvath is good. Now they added Schmidt. It’s a 5-6 seed if Holtby is just league average.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Loui is a crappy player now, but Benning isn’t giving up a first to dump him. I see Loui finishing his contract in Van City. (Puke emoji)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad