Proposal: Unprotected Canucks 1st Round Pick Attached with Eriksson

NextGoalIsHuge

Nov 19, 2017
I'd do it. But then, I 've never been as high on picks & prospects as many on this board.
Every year, "sure-thing" prospects fall by the wayside. We already won in the draft. I feel it's time to pay the price to fix the mistakes made in the past.

Also: I'm too old to get excited about players that might be something in a few years. Players like Hughes & Pettersson don't come around very often. We need to build a proper team around them sooner than later.

Interesting that a Kings fan was interested. I'd like to think these options are out there. I also think that it's the only way to entice a deal out of another team. Too much competition from other would-be cap-hungry teams like Tampa, for example. Still don't think it happens.
It's a risk. I'd take it, but that's just me. YMMV.

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
Canucks need to hit on at least some of its draft picks to maintain its competitive window as its core becomes more expensive. First round picks are the best bet for that. I would rather the Canucks either wait it out for the next two years. Bury him, take the cap savings or hell, if/when Ferland goes on LTIR, play him on the 4th line and PK. Yeah, it means the Canucks can't afford Hoffman, Granlund, etc and may need to trade Jake but it's better than throwing away good assets or buying him out and spreading out the cap hit.

Reactions: Regular David Bruce

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
Terrible idea. And doing it to sign Hoffman out of everyone makes it even worse, do not want that pos with his creepy wife anywhere near our team.

How do you know it wasn’t the Karlssons that made up the story? You just take them at face value why? Because he’s a better player?

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
If it’s top ten protected I think Canucks should do it. Teams have bad years all the time even when trending in the right direction. Dumping Loui to sign a guy like Hoffman would be a huge bump to their line up from 6 goals to at least 25. Added bonus is Eriksson being off the books when it’s time to re-up the young guns

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Guaranteed Haula (Cheap 2 year deal) + Hoffman (Cheap 3 year deal) + Getting rid of Loui
for
1st round pick?

I would probably do it 2bh.

Agreed. I would be fine trading Eriksson for a 1st *if* the Canucks had deals lined up that significantly improved the team. Clearing space for the sake of clearing space isn't really necessary, as the team has an unproven tandem in net (Holtby obviously was proven in the past, but he needs to bounce back) which could sink the team.

Reactions: Canucks LB

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
How do you know it wasn’t the Karlssons that made up the story? You just take them at face value why? Because he’s a better player?

Well, that’s absurd to think they made up the story. Why would they do that? They had their reasons to believe Caryk was behind it, now maybe she wasn’t behind it after all, but to suggest they made it all up is ludicrous.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
I don't get why Marleau is always brought up when shedding cap. Sure it was the most recent 1st rounder to be moved in a deal but wasn't he super picky with where he would accept a trade to? If I remember right it was only San Jose as an option who had no cap space. Most teams were not going to buy him out just for a 1st rounder which clamped down on his market even further than a normal dump would have. To me this makes it a very weird comparable since there is not public knowledge that Loui would block a trade to anyone as of now.

As for the OP, hell no. We lucked out with Miller being fantastic and winning on that gamble of an unprotected 1st, but I do not make a trade with that risk again back to back years. Just wait it out or start putting itching powder in his practice gear to give him a rash and go on LTIR. Sutter with a 2nd sure no problem if someone would bite, but an unprotected 1st should be a non-starter. Too many variables with this team to the blueline not being definitively upgraded, to the goaltending not being as good as last year on paper, to not enough scoring depth. One EP or Hughes lengthily injury and that 1st is guaranteed to be a possible 1st OV.

Boose Brudreau

Guddbranson is a paper tiger
Nov 27, 2006
You really think someone is going to give you a second round pick for Eriksson?
pretty sure that poster meant move him for the cost of a 2nd.

I think the Canucks would be insane to attach an unprotected 1st to Loui just to ship him out of town. IMO, if there even is a season (coin flip at best IMO), the Canucks should treat it as a development year. See what you've got in younger prospects that should be playing in the AHL and hope that their young core takes another step up. I'd loan Eriksson to a Euro team (making it clear that after this season, if he wants the last $4mm owed, he's going to be riding the bus in the AHL in 21/22 to get it) and hope that he hangs'em up at the end of the year. Assuming the Canucks are not in a playoff position at the end of the year (safe bet barring extraordinary internal development and Holtby playing like it's 2016/17) , I'd be retaining salary on any expiring contract if the player can be moved at the deadline for picks/prospects). I'd also be looking to move Roussel or Beagle (as if) then as well.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
Well, that’s absurd to think they made up the story. Why would they do that? They had their reasons to believe Caryk was behind it, now maybe she wasn’t behind it after all, but to suggest they made it all up is ludicrous.

Think about what you’re saying though. You’re telling me, that without proof, the Karlssons went out and made public this story and that seems Okay to you. Hoffman is STILL suffering from the effects of that, as shown by comments in this thread.

Is it really that ludicrous? Things happen in life where people smear each other all the time. The Karlssons were believed the entire time and The Hoffman’s were made out to be human garbage, without even questioning it.

Why are the Karlssons given a free pass for accusing someone of something so vile when it wasn’t even them?

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Think about what you’re saying though. You’re telling me, that without proof, the Karlssons went out and made public this story and that seems Okay to you. Hoffman is STILL suffering from the effects of that, as shown by comments in this thread.

Why are the Karlssons given a free pass for accusing someone of something so vile when it wasn’t even them?

What are you going on about? All I said was that I’m sure they didn’t just make it up.

Wandering Cynic

Dec 2, 2011
Parts Unknown
With the flat cap next season, it’s practically guaranteed that Pettersson and Hughes are going to take bridge deals. There’s no reason to buy out Eriksson or trade him for a 1st. The team should buyout Sutter though, as it only will affect 2 seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad