Proposal: Unprotected Canucks 1st Round Pick Attached with Eriksson

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
well they accused the wrong person then. Who actually did what they allege? Did we ever find that out or nah

They had their reasons to believe it was Caryk. Perhaps they were wrong, but they had their reasons for believing it was her. They didn’t just accuse her for no reason. I have no idea if she was behind it or not, but at the end of the day they couldn’t prove it was her, so the case was thrown out.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
They had their reasons to believe it was Caryk. Perhaps they were wrong, but they had their reasons for believing it was her. They didn’t just accuse her for no reason. I have no idea if she was behind it or not, but at the end of the day they couldn’t prove it was her, so the case was thrown out.

Right so to talk shit about Hoffman now is the wrong play since there is zero proof. Calling him a scumbag and his wife crazy etc. That’s all I was saying

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Vancouver gifting someone an unprotected 1st this year would be the worst thing Benning has done as GM...they had a very bad offseason so far imo and, if the rumors of a Canadian Division even have a bit of truth to them, the 'Nucks will be in a hard way making the playoffs...that unprotected 1st could come back to hurt them for years to come...not worth the chance this year...

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Right so to talk shit about Hoffman now is the wrong play since there is zero proof. Calling him a scumbag and his wife crazy etc. That’s all I was saying

Yep, I agree with you completely. Unfortunately the way our society works is that the second you are accused of something, you are automatically guilty in the eyes of some. A lot of people have called Caryk horrible names since this news came out without knowing for sure she was guilty.

I’m not saying she’s guilty or innocent by the way. I don’t know. Maybe she didn’t do it, or maybe she did, but they couldn’t prove it. Either way, someone was harassing the Karlsson’s about their stillborn child, and that is horrible.

Reactions: Red Piller

Diablo2020

Feb 11, 2020
Calgary
Something similar to the Lawson Crouse and Bolland for picks trade is probably doable.

Loui Eriksson, Vasili Podkolzin
for
Nashville 2nd & 3rd

Podkolzin is Askarov's teammate in Russia, picked #10 overall in 2019 and ready to come over at the end of this upcoming year.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
Vancouver gifting someone an unprotected 1st this year would be the worst thing Benning has done as GM...they had a very bad offseason so far imo and, if the rumors of a Canadian Division even have a bit of truth to them, the 'Nucks will be in a hard way making the playoffs...that unprotected 1st could come back to hurt them for years to come...not worth the chance this year...

Exactly what I was thinking. If there is an all Canadian Division depending on how the playoffs get structured the Canucks are life and death to just be a bubble team.

But with that said I would be pretty interested in the Flyers acquiring that pick if unprotected.

GOilers88

Upside Down Canadian Flag
Dec 24, 2016
I think I'd accept and be okay with it.

Eriksson would be off the books this year which would leave the Canucks with around 10 million in cap space.

Then next year they sign Pettersson and Hughes to extentions, lets say 20 mil combined, give and take a couple of millions. However they lose the following contracts

Eriksson- 6 mil
Edler 6 mik
Suttern 4.3mil
Pettersson- 1 mil
Hughes- 1 mil
Pearson- 3.75 mik
Baertschi- 3.3 mil
Benn 2 mil.

That's 26 mil of cap space, plus the 10 mil cap space this year minus Virtanen's new contract and if they dont sign any other free agents.

Canucks might have the option to go big game hunting one year sooner than anticipated if they were able to make this trade with LA
I would sure hope Pettersson and Hughes don't get 10 mil each. That's extreme.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Benning originally said he wasnt interested in getting rid of bad contracts by attatching assets with them. However there have been many rumors floating in Vancouver that his tune has changed for a couple of reasons.

1. He was using the 1st round pick to try and fetch a top pairing Dman (OEL) however, Nate Schmidt was gifted to them for a 3rd rn pick.

2. Rumor is Mike Hoffman is quite interested in joinging Vancouver if they were able to move some salary out and fit him in. Possibly on a short term show me deal so he can pump his stats playing on the 4th ranked Van PP and on a line with either Pettersson or Horvat

3. Benning possibly thinks this upcoming amatuer season will be a write off. Whether its going to be shortened or cancelled, he thinks the draft class will be extremely under-scouted and thus he can get great players without necessarily having a high 1st round pick.

Having said that,

would there be interst in Eriksson + Canucks 1st round unprotected pick without salary going back to Van?

Eriksson has 2 years left with 6mil AAV but his actual owed money is 5 mil total.

We give Eriksson a lot of flack here in Vancouver because he is over-paid but the truth is he is still a very reliable and responsible bottom 6 player. If he made 1 mil per year, nobody would say a word.

In fact I think he can even fetch a 6th rnd pick or so in next years trade deadline on an expiring contract. He would make for a good depth move and we see it happen every year at the deadline.

Anything can happen this season and that Canuck's 1st can be a lottery. They lost Markstrom, Tanev, Stecher, Tofolli. Anything can happen especially in an all Canadian division.

Canucks obviously do this to free up cap space and possibly sign Hoffman. Basically they are trading a 1st for Hoffman and cap space.

Another option would be less significant contracts like one of Sutter, Roussel, Beagle, Baertschi attached with a 2nd round pick.

Again, someone like Sutter, who is on an expiring contract and is a right handed centre can probably fetch a 4th round pick or so at deadline.

Any takers?

Eriksson + 1st?

Sutter + 2nd?

Vancouver is a playoff team so the unprotected part doesn’t move the needle. I’m thinking it may cost more than a ~22nd overall pick in a weak 2021 draft. A team like LA should ask did that in the 2022 draft and a 2nd rounder next year.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
this thread is nuts. the canucks do not have a gun to their heads requiring them to make a desperation move where they need to massively overpay to get better.

loui erickson moved is worth the value of the new opportunity the canucks have if they move him.

so unless that opportunity is worth a first round unprotected pick there is no reason to move him for that price.

so imagine for a second that the canucks suddenly have $6m more in cap space and no loui eriksson. what could they do with that cap space in terms of trades or signings?

now imagine whether any of those things they might do would be worth giving up an unprotected first in addition to the actual cost of the trade or signing.

so you get the picture. for the canucks to pay a first to move loui, the replacement opportunity has to be worth the first.

so unless there is an incredible bargain out there to be had that the canucks need to move erikkson to pull off, this thread is nuts.

Reactions: Lupuls Grit

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Not a good idea

Most of the reasons have been covered, but I'll harp on em again anyway. First, no guarantee the Canucks make the playoffs. Easy to forget they were trending that way before the COVID shutdown

Second, the Canucks will need contributors on ELCs moving forward. I like plotting and scheming years in advance as much as the next guy, but best to have as many proverbial darts to throw at the board as possible.

For example, I often see lineup forecasts mentioning Edler coming off the books next summer, neglecting that this is a top 4 contributor. Even if the best case scenario occurs and a Rathbone or Juolevi type has marinated enough to be ready for that role, they're eventually gonna want to be PAID, and you've gotta plan for that. And as promising as those youngsters are, there are no guarantees

Benning needs to keep drafting as much talent as possible imo. And if the guys in house pan out, great, you've now got trade chips to upgrade elsewhere

But paying to move out bad contracts when (just my humble opinion) your window hasn't even opened? Bad idea. Not to mention I don't think it's a great idea to be clearing space to add a Hoffman, who seems like a really odd fit ~ Van's PP is already pretty loaded with talent, and while he'd certainly add some pop in the O zone, I don't really see that as a huge need

Reactions: THE Green Man

David Catselhoff

Jan 14, 2005
Hows about...

To LA
Loui Ericsson
Conditional 1st Round Pick (Vancouver chooses between 2021 and 2022 at the 2021 Draft)
Nils Hoglander

To VAN
LA 2021 2nd
Aidan Dudas

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Hows about...

To LA
Loui Ericsson
Conditional 1st Round Pick (Vancouver chooses between 2021 and 2022 at the 2021 Draft)
Nils Hoglander

To VAN
LA 2021 2nd
Aidan Dudas

let me fix this for reality.

Ericsson
2021 or 2022 unprotected 1st round pick. LAs choice.
2nd round pick in the other draft.
b prospect.

To Vancouver
conditional 7th round pick never meant to transfer.

Vancouver is going to need to ride this contract out at least another year is the straight skinny. No Hoffman this year.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I'd have done this before we lost all our depth in free agency. If we had kept Toffoli and Stecher in place of Eriksson and maybe cut a little off Markstroms contract in place of Holtby, sure.

I'd do a lottery differed first at this stage, but even with a new bottom six shut down center, a cheap scoring winger with something to prove and a shut down D, I don't feel we are a lock for a low selection in the first round.

The lottery protected first and Eriksson for a half priced Anisimov appeals to me at this point though.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Does Loui need to be protected from the Kraken? If so that could drive the price up beyond a first. It becomes a cap dump plus burning a protection spot which has pretty big value. From a sens perspective we have the cap but if he needs to be protected my price might not be bearable.

who do the canucks need to expose if loui is still around? That’s the value of the add on top of the first

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Benning originally said he wasnt interested in getting rid of bad contracts by attatching assets with them. However there have been many rumors floating in Vancouver that his tune has changed for a couple of reasons.

1. He was using the 1st round pick to try and fetch a top pairing Dman (OEL) however, Nate Schmidt was gifted to them for a 3rd rn pick.

2. Rumor is Mike Hoffman is quite interested in joinging Vancouver if they were able to move some salary out and fit him in. Possibly on a short term show me deal so he can pump his stats playing on the 4th ranked Van PP and on a line with either Pettersson or Horvat

3. Benning possibly thinks this upcoming amatuer season will be a write off. Whether its going to be shortened or cancelled, he thinks the draft class will be extremely under-scouted and thus he can get great players without necessarily having a high 1st round pick.

Having said that,

would there be interst in Eriksson + Canucks 1st round unprotected pick without salary going back to Van?

Eriksson has 2 years left with 6mil AAV but his actual owed money is 5 mil total.

We give Eriksson a lot of flack here in Vancouver because he is over-paid but the truth is he is still a very reliable and responsible bottom 6 player. If he made 1 mil per year, nobody would say a word.

In fact I think he can even fetch a 6th rnd pick or so in next years trade deadline on an expiring contract. He would make for a good depth move and we see it happen every year at the deadline.

Anything can happen this season and that Canuck's 1st can be a lottery. They lost Markstrom, Tanev, Stecher, Tofolli. Anything can happen especially in an all Canadian division.

Canucks obviously do this to free up cap space and possibly sign Hoffman. Basically they are trading a 1st for Hoffman and cap space.

Another option would be less significant contracts like one of Sutter, Roussel, Beagle, Baertschi attached with a 2nd round pick.

Again, someone like Sutter, who is on an expiring contract and is a right handed centre can probably fetch a 4th round pick or so at deadline.

Any takers?

Eriksson + 1st?

Sutter + 2nd?
For what it is worth Eklund clipped this idea and made it his own.

Mike Hoffman, who is definitely the biggest fish still out there, appears to be waiting on the Vancouver Canucks to clear cap space. I am also hearing the Canucks are offering Eriksson to everyone.ALONG with their first round pick, UNPROTECTED. That tells you how much they want and cherish Hoffman.

Feel free to insert joke on where Eklund gets his trade ideas from.

Last edited:

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I still don't understand why folks keep bringing up a "show me" deal for Hoffman. He's shown he can score. Everybody has seen it. The fact that folks think he still has to earn a long term deal is baffling to me.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
For what it is worth Eklund clipped this idea and made it his own.

Mike Hoffman, who is definitely the biggest fish still out there, appears to be waiting on the Vancouver Canucks to clear cap space. I am also hearing the Canucks are offering Eriksson to everyone.ALONG with their first round pick, UNPROTECTED. That tells you how much they want and cherish Hoffman.

Feel free to insert joke on where Eklund gets his trade ideas from.

he’s piggy backing off of a dhaliwal who recently said they contacted Hoffman’s agent.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I'd want 1st+2nd in 2021. Considering the value of cap right now getting rid of bad deals should be worth more than last year.

1st could be enough for the right teams.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I'd want 1st+2nd in 2021. Considering the value of cap right now getting rid of bad deals should be worth more than last year.

1st could be enough for the right teams.
If Marleu cost a 1st for one year of term in a non C19 year. Two years of Loui at $6mm in the C19 era is easily going to cost Vancouver two 1sts plus. One unprotected 1st from a playoff level team isn’t going to be enough. So keep adding Vancouver.. adding a lot. Or just live with the guys already on the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->