Unpopular Wrestling Opinions

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
He was in the main event before he was married. Would he have been in the main event if he didn't make friends with (and be the lackey of) several big stars in the company? Maybe, or he may not have been able to escape being the Greenwich Snob. Him being a big body guy probably helped in WWF.

I think he still would have been in the main event scene.

I don't think he would have lasted as long without being a member of The Family though.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I think he still would have been in the main event scene.

I don't think he would have lasted as long without being a member of The Family though.

The key for HHH was getting in DX. He was going to be a main eventer once he got that spot, especially when Michaels became injured. He even deserved to be there in 1999 and 2000. His marriage helped him maintain that spot in the early to mid 2000s and beyond though. If he wasn't friends with Michaels and company though, I can easily see him being a career mid card guy after people got sick of Hunter Hearst Hemsley and WWF offered him basically no other creative route.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
HHH is a very smart guy.

He quit WCW to go to WWE, because he knew he needed to work more and to grow as a performer. Money was better in WCW at THAT moment, but money would be better, no matter where he went, if he became a bigger star AND a more complete performer first.

From the moment he arrived in WWE, he aligned himself with the right people. He did not drink nor do drugs, yet aligned himself with the Kliq and became their designated drive/moral compass. They had influence with Vince despite being f*** ups and HHH gained similar influence AND showed he was a stable and reliable guy.

When he f***ed up with the Curtain Call, he shut up, did his time and gained Vince's respect. That's smart. He could have thrown a tantum and left with his friends, but he would have destroyed his career.

When he got his chance, he ran with it. When he reached his peak, he did EVERYTHING he could to protect his spot (which can be infuriating for us as fans, but was the smart business move for him).

Now that he is an executive, he has made himself the BIGGEST babyface to the IWC with NXT and the way he manages it AND takes credit for it.

HHH is definitely not the most talented performer of all time, but, to me, he is by far the smartest guy in wrestling.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Wrestling has been ruined by millennials, both the fans and the wrestlers themselves.

Everyone thinks that they "deserve championships" just because they work hard or they have been there a long time

Fans crap on the shows because their guy isn't in the main event

People don't like the way they are booked and just whine and mope

Not everyone can be a main eventer, someone has to fill the midcard and lower card roles

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Wrestling has been ruined by millennials, both the fans and the wrestlers themselves.

Everyone thinks that they "deserve championships" just because they work hard or they have been there a long time

Fans crap on the shows because their guy isn't in the main event

People don't like the way they are booked and just whine and mope

Not everyone can be a main eventer, someone has to fill the midcard and lower card roles

Well this is the biggest pile of crap i've read today, and i was at the Leafs subreddit earlier.

1. Literally no different than hockey fans saying guys like Joe Thornton/Jarome Iginla/Alfie deserve championships in a team based sport where they don't have total control over the outcome all the time. Guy/girl busts their ass, people appreciate the effort and want to see them rewarded. Hence why literally except probably you (including in the business) were happy to see Kofi get his moment.

2. Fans crap on the shows because the guy they like is usually the guy who should be in the main event (see; Bryan, Daniel, 2014) because the fans are the ones making the company money. I'm not saying the fans should control the entirety of how wrestling is booked, but when it's that ****ing obvious they like a guy, put him over.

3. Because the fans want to be entertained, stoopid.

4 is a valid point all that being said.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
HHH is a very smart guy.

He quit WCW to go to WWE, because he knew he needed to work more and to grow as a performer. Money was better in WCW at THAT moment, but money would be better, no matter where he went, if he became a bigger star AND a more complete performer first.

From the moment he arrived in WWE, he aligned himself with the right people. He did not drink nor do drugs, yet aligned himself with the Kliq and became their designated drive/moral compass. They had influence with Vince despite being **** ups and HHH gained similar influence AND showed he was a stable and reliable guy.

When he ****ed up with the Curtain Call, he shut up, did his time and gained Vince's respect. That's smart. He could have thrown a tantum and left with his friends, but he would have destroyed his career.

When he got his chance, he ran with it. When he reached his peak, he did EVERYTHING he could to protect his spot (which can be infuriating for us as fans, but was the smart business move for him).

Now that he is an executive, he has made himself the BIGGEST babyface to the IWC with NXT and the way he manages it AND takes credit for it.

HHH is definitely not the most talented performer of all time, but, to me, he is by far the smartest guy in wrestling.
Depending on who you listen to, he was also instrumental in the screwjob and aftermath.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Well this is the biggest pile of crap i've read today, and i was at the Leafs subreddit earlier.

1. Literally no different than hockey fans saying guys like Joe Thornton/Jarome Iginla/Alfie deserve championships in a team based sport where they don't have total control over the outcome all the time. Guy/girl busts their ass, people appreciate the effort and want to see them rewarded. Hence why literally except probably you (including in the business) were happy to see Kofi get his moment.

2. Fans crap on the shows because the guy they like is usually the guy who should be in the main event (see; Bryan, Daniel, 2014) because the fans are the ones making the company money. I'm not saying the fans should control the entirety of how wrestling is booked, but when it's that ****ing obvious they like a guy, put him over.

3. Because the fans want to be entertained, stoopid.

4 is a valid point all that being said.

1. Yes it is completely different, these people are entertainers put into roles, much like actors. Not everyone who puts in a lot of time and effort can or should be a leading man. And yeah I don't think Kofi should be the champion, only the best of the best, this is the Participation trophy mindset of the current society.

Why not Tito Santana? Dibiase? Don Muraco? Golddust? those guys put in a lot of time and effort, so did hundreds if not thousands of other performers.

And yes I know it is a "fake sport" but giving the belt to everyone devalues it more than it already is

2. Again that is the point, we don't like it and we will complain and moan and start twitter or social media mobs until we get what we want, and then when they finally get it people change their mind and hate the guy again in a few months. Everyone wanted Ziggler, then soon enough everyone hate Ziggler. Tears were shed for Bryan, then a few months later everyone is tired of Bryan, or Becky or whomever.

I am by no means sticking up for Vince and the WWE as I agree that it has been poorly run for some time now, but they still know a hell of a lot more than somebody who buys a ticket or watches on tv.

3. You misunderstood this one, I was more meaning the recent rash of the wrestlers who whine and moan on social media and more or less take their ball and go home if they don't like how they are being handled. Specifically the Sasha stuff recently or the Revival, anyone who pulls that stuff at a regular job would be canned or disciplined

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
1. Yes it is completely different, these people are entertainers put into roles, much like actors. Not everyone who puts in a lot of time and effort can or should be a leading man. And yeah I don't think Kofi should be the champion, only the best of the best, this is the Participation trophy mindset of the current society.

Why not Tito Santana? Dibiase? Don Muraco? Golddust? those guys put in a lot of time and effort, so did hundreds if not thousands of other performers.

And yes I know it is a "fake sport" but giving the belt to everyone devalues it more than it already is

2. Again that is the point, we don't like it and we will complain and moan and start twitter or social media mobs until we get what we want, and then when they finally get it people change their mind and hate the guy again in a few months. Everyone wanted Ziggler, then soon enough everyone hate Ziggler. Tears were shed for Bryan, then a few months later everyone is tired of Bryan, or Becky or whomever.

I am by no means sticking up for Vince and the WWE as I agree that it has been poorly run for some time now, but they still know a hell of a lot more than somebody who buys a ticket or watches on tv.

3. You misunderstood this one, I was more meaning the recent rash of the wrestlers who whine and moan on social media and more or less take their ball and go home if they don't like how they are being handled. Specifically the Sasha stuff recently or the Revival, anyone who pulls that stuff at a regular job would be canned or disciplined
As if Stone Cold Steve Austin didn’t walk it, or Shawn Michaels wasn’t constantly bitching and moaning in the 90s about wanting to leave WWE if he didn’t get his way and go to WCW.

But millennials... yeah okay there lol

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Whether people like it or not - part of being great is believing you are the absolute best and nobody is better than you. It has it's pros and cons. The GOAT athletes are like that in any sport. It is no different in wrestling but the problem is that we have scripts in this business and if you believe you are the best and you are given mid card stuff - you will be frustrated.

See CM Punk.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I have a few:

-I found Goldberg entertaining during his runs in WCW and WWE

-CM Punk is overrated and how he left WWE (and wrestling) always rubbed me the wrong way

-Brock Lesnar is good for the WWE when he's given something that he cares about (but not holding a main title hostage from months on end)

-The "Rusev Day" gimmick was what was over, not Rusev himself, and a lot of it had to do with Aiden English

-AJ Styles is boring as a face and should turn heel

-Charlotte Flair deserves to main event Wrestlemania, but shouldn't have been in the triple threat match

-Lacey Evans is a worthy challenger to Becky Lynch, but her "Southern Belle" gimmick shouldn't and won't last. She should be booked as herself, which is a badass former Marine and police officer

-I give Ricochet 5 years or less in the WWE. He should be a future main eventer, but he's seriously going to break his neck doing a 630 one day.

-Not sure how unpopular this is, but WWE is making a big mistake by not turning Roman heel upon his return

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
i can honestly say growing up, in love with lucha libre.... its not until ECW that i was impressed with it. i think ECW, and WCW elevated the game in Mexicans and the whole style.
matches are built weird still today... they dont get it. like theyre bad at telling a story outside and inside the ring. but you'll see amazing moves...
ill thank them for inspiring this whole new generation. getting their names over, themselves and understanding the game.

(couldnt watch their japan work back then either. so yeah i can only thank American tv)

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
- Becky Lynch is below average in the ring.

- Bayley is the one holding Sasha down. Not the WWE itself.

- Ronda Rousey shouldn’t come back, she had a great one year run. Now stick to doing ambassador work and one offs

- Elias should finally be given a significant in ring feud

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I have a few:

-Not sure how unpopular this is, but WWE is making a big mistake by not turning Roman heel upon his return

Going to guess this is a popular opinion. For both Cena/Roman, you take a stale forced babyface and you let them run wild for a few months and it immediately makes them HUGE stars/babyfaces again. Watch what happens with DB. He's playing such a great character that he is so exciting to watch again and it won't be long until the crowds just can't stop cheering for him.

Same with Roman. Turn him heel and in 6-12 months he will be the babyface WWE wanted him. He will be so loved as a bad ass.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Bobby Roode could have been (could be?) a good top heel

KO not being able to wrestle his style and not being booked as a top heel is the biggest booking botch (more than Bray or Rusev or whoever).

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad