Unpopular Wrestling Opinions

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
- Sasha Banks isn't nearly as good as she or her fans want you to think.

- Becky Lynch is the only full package Woman that WWE has or has ever had.

- Brian Pillman would be in the Hall of Fame today had he not died so early on.

- Jerry Lynn carried RVD to their famed series of epic matches. (carry might be a bit too harsh of a term but Lynn was definitely the star there)

- Edge and Christian are the greatest tag team of all time (probably not THAT unpopular but not popular either)

- Cody Rhodes is the definition of average and consistently achieves well above his talent level should realistically allow

- Cena, in almost all capacities, gets too much flak.

- Undertaker, while a legendary character and presence, has never truly been great.

- I can respect what HBK has done in his career and the talent he brought to the ring but I never cared about him. Not when I was a kid...teenager...adult...or now. I just give zero f***s for anything he's involved with. Likely because he's a bad person who somehow thinks he's fooling people into thinking he still has hair.

- Usos get called one of the best tag teams of all time and that's a true statement....BUT it wasn't until the last ...2 years maybe where that happened.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Dan Severn should've been Brock before Brock but the WWE didnt have a single clue how to use or book him right

Meh. That's a thing Jim Cornette says and while I think he and Shamrock should have been a good feud, Dan Severn could not do a lot of what Brock can.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
That fans use wrestling terms too loosely:
- mark
- "popped the boys"
- kayfabe
- bury

They are words we shouldn't be using in today's wrestling. Period. But we all do. I even find myself saying these words in real life. Embarrassing.

You're getting real heel heat with me here. I don't know what your gimmick is or if this is a work or a shoot, but it's too stiff. You'll never get over as a babyface with botched posts like this. I hope that this was just one big rib, jabrony.

Yes, very much so.

- Undertaker, while a legendary character and presence, has never truly been great.

I agree here too. He seems to get a massive amount of mileage out of having two great matches late in his career... against probably the best in ring wrestler ever. People seem to forget the long lulls in his career.

Regarding the locker room, I think that the unpopular opinion is to say that it needs to revert back somewhat. I don't think that they need to go back into heavy drug use or have things like the Steiners sodomizing people or Slater giving Sting an actual swirly. I do think that they should be more competitive with each other instead of the "woe is me" attitude that a lot of the wrestlers exhibit, and they should get out of the wrestling online echo chamber.

Another one: wrestlers should emphasize kayfabe a lot more than they do now. From what I see of how wrestling is discussed online in the last few years, it's become easier to trick people than it was 20 years ago because so many assume that they see through everything. Wrestling is a very unique form of entertainment and wrestlers shouldn't treat themselves in the same manner as actors.

Last edited:

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI

- Becky Lynch is the only full package Woman that WWE has or has ever had.

- Brian Pillman would be in the Hall of Fame today had he not died so early on.
Agree
- Jerry Lynn carried RVD to their famed series of epic matches. (carry might be a bit too harsh of a term but Lynn was definitely the star there)
Sorta agree, I loved both RVD and Lynn, I think carry is too harsh, they just worked great together
- Edge and Christian are the greatest tag team of all time (probably not THAT unpopular but not popular either)
I would have to mull this over but maybe, I prefer to go by different era's rather than all-time though
- Cody Rhodes is the definition of average and consistently achieves well above his talent level should realistically allow
I feel like this is actually a popular opinion
- Cena, in almost all capacities, gets too much flak.
Agree for the most part
Completely disagree on this one
- I can respect what HBK has done in his career and the talent he brought to the ring but I never cared about him. Not when I was a kid...teenager...adult...or now. I just give zero ****s for anything he's involved with. Likely because he's a bad person who somehow thinks he's fooling people into thinking he still has hair.
I was never a massive HBK guy either, but also appreciate getting to watch him still
- Usos get called one of the best tag teams of all time and that's a true statement....BUT it wasn't until the last ...2 years maybe where that happened.

Reactions: Paris in Flames

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
The Undertaker one is interesting. I flip flop on that one. He's a legend and has had some incredible matches and programs but I don't feel like he's ever been the guy in the company that has done as much heavy lifting as other major stars he shared the eras with. When he was given those reigns, they weren't great or memorable. He's one of the GOATs to me but I can absolutely see the arguments against it tbh.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
taker kept a crappy 90's gimmick and kept keeping it fresh all those years. ( i guess except when he was American bad ass)
to me Taker didnt need the belt. its literally just his presence that is magic.
besides a few mask vs mask matches in mexico. no one ever has made me look forward his matches more than the streak being on the line.. Taker is wrestling.

Reactions: RANKKA

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Yeah I'm not trying to take away from Taker necessarily. His presence and aura are completely undeniable and part of the reason he can still do this at 55 years old. I don't really know how to describe it...I just...I dunno. He wasn't particularly noticeable in the ring, he wasn't a special promo...but he was beyond special as an entity.

It's like if Zach Hyman scored 50 goals for the next decade :sarcasm:

Reactions: DaaaaB's

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I mean Jericho is pretty much my fave wrestler of all time and he's not big, but still, there is something about the big dudes who are really good at wrestling and moving around in the ring that are awesome.

I feel like Disclose nailed it with "Undertaker is wrestling"

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Why single out the AE?
Undertaker is a great attraction. I'd never consider him a GOAT myself.

I remember going to shows in that era, and him pretty much getting treated as JAG by the fans. He wasn't fitting into the Austin/Rock/HHH era too well. Also, in the early 90's there wasn't as much WWF TV, so he was still protected nd not seen as much.

I think that's why he became the American Bad Ass. Deadman did not fit the landscape any more.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Undertaker is an attraction. He had classics with HBK, and great matches with Edge, Batista and Punk, but I also go back and forth on him. One of the GOATs for his character work, but his in-ring work was overrated, and I’m also guilty of it too looking back.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Bret Hart is one of the best wrestlers of all time. That's indisputable. But has he ever not blamed anyone else when things go wrong? Just comes off as a complainer. No accountability whatsoever.

Sting vs Hogan at Starrcade 1997 was one of the biggest letdowns in Wrestling history. They built the match up brilliantly for 15 months. Then it just fell apart that night. I realize they won the ratings war for three more months after this. However, this was the beginning of the end imo.

I think circumstances (And timing) were very kind to Triple H. Buddies with one of the best wrestlers of all time? Check. In love with the boss's daughter? Check. Beneficiary of classic matches due to his star studded fellow wrestlers (Rock, Undertaker, Kane, Foley, & Stone Cold? Check. I can't think of any wrester who rode the coattails of others more than this guy.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I didn't even tune in until about 8:30. I missed the whole Rollins/Lesnar match. Honestly making it at all day event where you can wander in and out and put all the lesser matches on early and still end before 10 or 11 is fine.

You're not trying to get "ratings". Why is Prime Time needed?

HandsomeHollywood

Brooke Shields ain't got nothin'
Mar 20, 2017
I remember going to shows in that era, and him pretty much getting treated as JAG by the fans. He wasn't fitting into the Austin/Rock/HHH era too well. Also, in the early 90's there wasn't as much WWF TV, so he was still protected nd not seen as much.

I think that's why he became the American Bad Ass. Deadman did not fit the landscape any more.
Eh, I don't think he stuck out any more than he did in his return as the Deadman. I'm pretty sure he wanted to switch to the Badass so he could be more of himself. You can always make people fit so long as you write it well.
The more he appeared didn't hurt him much to me. The more he wrestled, that's a different story.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Taker is the last remnant of an era where wrestlers had actual gimmicks beyond more than just a name.

How many other current wrestlers can you think of with "The" at the front of their name, followed by a profession?

Singles wrestlers, that is.....tag teams don't count. :laugh:

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I didn't even tune in until about 8:30. I missed the whole Rollins/Lesnar match. Honestly making it at all day event where you can wander in and out and put all the lesser matches on early and still end before 10 or 11 is fine.

You're not trying to get "ratings". Why is Prime Time needed?

In that sense, they're accumulating time and content for people to watch. That's what they sell to investors. But it's also why you can go do PPV's in Australia.

BladesofSteel21

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Bayley is actually the best in ring performer of the 4HW

Edge was the best wwe heel of the last 15 yrs

HBK a B+ player during his last run b4 retirement.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Is it unpopular to say Daniel Bryan is legitimately one of the greatest of all time?

The Usos are one of the greatest tag teams in history, although maybe more people came around to that one, I don’t know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->