Unpopular Opinions: Leafs Edition

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Try and dispute what I said...

Rielly is the #1 defenseman on a top 5-10 team, put up 50 points and is overall solid defensively. *done
Matthews is not better than McDavid (duh) *done
Babcock could win a cup with the Leafs. Nobody knows for certain. *done

Saying otherwise sounds like wishful thinking to me.... which makes me wonder why a Leafs fan would hope that, but after quickly skimming through your post history, it doesn't seem like your a leaf fan, if I had to guess, Jets? Which leads me to my next question... Why the f*** is a jets fan posting in an unpopular opinion Leaf fan thread?

Last edited:

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
Morgan Reilly had a 3.3 shooting percentage last year. Not number one defenseman caliber shooting at all.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
This Leafs rebuild looks a lot like the team it replaced - soft, non-physical, poor defensively.

Babcock is overrated and overpaid.

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
How to define who trolls and who does not? Anyways been a Leaf lifer forever. Season ticket holder family from day 1 my dads dad, to my dad and to me and then in future to my kids. Hell I was a Leaf fan even when I was not Leaf property and my kids and my kids kids are all Leaf fans even though some not Leaf property. Once a Leaf fan always a Leaf fan. Been to every playoff game in 2013 and 2017, 2018 home and away. Also go to most Marlie games and all Marlie playoff games past 3 seasons home and away. Watch most G hockey games too like cherry and my grandkids played with a few of guys on Leafs and Marlies now. Not friends anymore but one of my sons played with Shanny on same team and I knew parents when lived in Mimico. Good family good values hardworking people. Shared bread and wine together quite a few times.

Somewhat old school clearly but there is no way anyone can say legit that Rielly is a #1 defence in nhl. A #1 dman can't be the worst +/- on every team. It is a comparison stat used forever (at least as long as my dad). He also can't have the weakest shot in the league. To give him credit he is one of fastest dmen in league. He can also lug the puck out of our end when required. But once he moves into other teams end he gets lost quickly swimming in deep end sort of speak. His hands are ok but he does have lots of trouble holding point with hard passes (his pass reception is not great but ok.) I still like him on team and think he will still develop. He has heart. He gives it his all. He will take a hit to make a play. He does not hit well but it is hard when you are smaller and weaker. He really impressed me with his heart in game 3 this season. After I saw that heart show up i know there is more there. He was the best player on ice Bruins or Leafs in game 3. Give him a tough *ss right side partner who can lay people out on boards and in front of net and Rielly will flourish. Hainsey is ok but not that guy. A guy like Pronger would catapult Rielly. He would play bigger than his size. Anyways this is not popular but most fans know it in their heart and the eye test. I would bet Shanny knows it too.

Reactions: Crease Master

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Leafs fans are too attached to Gardiner. He's one season away from UFA and based on comparables, it looks like he'll be earning around $7 million on his next contract. That's not an efficient way to allocate your cap space long term when you already have Rielly and Dermott on the team.

But to even speculate about a Gardiner trade is some kind of great insult to some of the leafs fans on here.
Well yeah, I agree. Which feels kind of weird, considering how much time I've spent defending Gardiner from elements in this fan base. But the reality is as you say, and whether now or in a year we'll likely lose him.

If there's a good deal, I'd trade him now. Either for a RHD, or for assets that can be used to acquire one.

Reactions: leospaceman3434

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Well yeah, I agree. Which feels kind of weird, considering how much time I've spent defending Gardiner from elements in this fan base. But the reality is as you say, and whether now or in a year we'll likely lose him.

If there's a good deal, I'd trade him now. Either for a RHD, or for assets that can be used to acquire one.

What to do if Gards is willing to do 5.5x5 to stay with the team? Do you take that deal or trade him away?

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
Nylander has twice as many assists as goal. that gives us 2 elite playmakers (Bracco will make 3 when he is promoted). Brown is a 50/50 payer. Kapanen is also a 50/50 percent goals/assists player, but he was saddled most of tenure so far with the Leafs who were fighting to win the 2018 TML 'stone hands' award for goal scoring incapability. th.

Brown & Kapanen arn't playmakers. Bracco has been in the press box for the Marlies all playoffs & is a long shot to make the NHL. Nylander is a scorer who played with Matthews - which got him some assists. Everyone gets assists....that doesn't mean their good playmakers.

Marner is our only high level pass first guy.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
What to do if Gards is willing to do 5.5x5 to stay with the team? Do you take that deal or trade him away?
I would keep him. He is a value asset at that price. If things change, he could be traded later.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017

If that's the cost, then signing him is a no brainer. But that's not a very realistic estimate since his comparables have signed for more than that. Keith Yandle signed a couple of seasons ago for around $6.5 million and Shattenkirk signed last season for close to $7 million.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Maybe a better question is what would be everyone's ceiling for keeping Gardiner.

Is 6 million a year too much? Or are some willing to go even higher.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Maybe a better question is what would be everyone's ceiling for keeping Gardiner.

Is 6 million a year too much? Or are some willing to go even higher.
6 million is too much IMO. Also, I know people like Gardiner but we need a change. I'm not confident in the consistency of 3 of the top 4 being Gardiner/Rielly/Zaitsev. It's good for a while but ultimately has breakdowns. Just my feelings on the grouping.
We need someone who just plays a more consistent 82 games + playoffs. Same player 99% of the time.
If a Gardiner to Florida deal involving Pysyk/MaCaan/something/something is available, I'm looking at this for the overall consistency of the team.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I like how this thread has really siphoned most of the silly hot takes into one thread. Good job op.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad