Unpopular Opinions: Leafs Edition

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
He is way too young. I didn't like the way he carried himself at the introductory press conference. He wore a jacket and tie to be part of the establishment. He appeared to be a kiss ass. He didn't immediately say the beard ban is gone. I am totally unimpressed with him. I think he will be an abysmal failure. That, of course, is my opinion.

Is this serious?

okay, I think we're done here.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
Don't see that at all. I'd think most of Gardiner's strengths would disappear if played on the wing. He is not necessarily a rushing d-man, he uses his skating mainly to create room for his passing. He's better in open ice than along the boards. His shot has some power but not great accuracy.

Mark Stone gets twice as many assists as goals.....Kadri, Brown, Kapanen, Nylander & Marleau all need a playmaker on their line......and all we have is Marner at the moment......

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Mark Stone gets twice as many assists as goals.....Kadri, Brown, Kapanen, Nylander & Marleau all need a playmaker on their line......and all we have is Marner at the moment......

Nylander has twice as many assists as goal. that gives us 2 elite playmakers (Bracco will make 3 when he is promoted). Brown is a 50/50 payer. Kapanen is also a 50/50 percent goals/assists player, but he was saddled most of tenure so far with the Leafs who were fighting to win the 2018 TML 'stone hands' award for goal scoring incapability. th.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Morgan Rielly isn't a legit # 1 Defenceman in the NHL.

Matthews will never be as good as McDavid

Mike Babcock won't win a cup with this team.

1: as he is in the NHL, and plays for the team in the NHL, he is by defacto - a legitimate #1 defenseman in the NHL.

2: so?

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
  1. Auston Matthews named Captain at Christmas
  2. William Nylander plays centre on the 3rd line
  3. Matt Martin makes his return to the lineup
  4. Connor Brown gets traded for a defenceman
  5. Josh Leivo is finally traded
  6. Leo Komarov is extended for one more season
  7. Add a power forward to the top 9

Allhailtheleafs

Feb 18, 2018
He is way too young. I didn't like the way he carried himself at the introductory press conference. He wore a jacket and tie to be part of the establishment. He appeared to be a kiss ass. He didn't immediately say the beard ban is gone. I am totally unimpressed with him. I think he will be an abysmal failure. That, of course, is my opinion.
He excelled in the ohl, and AHL....he made non cpetitive teams, champions. (Go marlies go) Notice the trend

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
1: as he is in the NHL, and plays for the team in the NHL, he is by defacto - a legitimate #1 defenseman in the NHL.

2: so?

1. Until they get a star level D, in addition to physicality, they won't go far in the postseason.

2. There's been certain posters who've suggested Matthews can be as good as McDavid.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Hmm...try try to stick with "unpopular".

I think Rielly is the #1 d-man we've always yearned for, it just takes time to grow these guys.

I think Zaitsev will have a big bounce back, and he'll suddenly become "a good deal".

Connor Brown will score 25+ goals next season, and many will again start singing his praises.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
1. Until they get a star level D, in addition to physicality, they won't go far in the postseason.

2. There's been certain posters who've suggested Matthews can be as good as McDavid.

so in regarding the 1st, that's what you should have said,
and regarding the 2nd, again. so? like. who cares if he's not good as McDavid.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
With Dubas taking over as the GM the Leafs will take a step back in the standings this upcoming season as Leafs will not adequately replace their pending UFA departures.

Less that 105 points will be the outcome with the 36 goals of JVR missed the most, particularly on the PP.

Once the 3 amigos all have their new contracts Leafs depth will be tested.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Leafs fans are too attached to Gardiner. He's one season away from UFA and based on comparables, it looks like he'll be earning around $7 million on his next contract. That's not an efficient way to allocate your cap space long term when you already have Rielly and Dermott on the team.

But to even speculate about a Gardiner trade is some kind of great insult to some of the leafs fans on here.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
Leafs should get even more regular season points next season by getting rid of a 3rd line that was worst defensive line in nhl and adding marlies who are more responsible and who will add more goals than they give up
But they will make another first round exit as they have a bottom 5 defence

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
With Dubas taking over as the GM the Leafs will take a step back in the standings this upcoming season as Leafs will not adequately replace their pending UFA departures.

Less that 105 points will be the outcome with the 36 goals of JVR missed the most, particularly on the PP.

this would have been an issue regardless of who the GM was.

Reactions: Menzinger

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

Leo is addition by subtraction. JVR's 36 goals without a doubt in my mind get replaced by Kapanen and Johnsson's production.
IMo, they get more than 105 points because Matthews/Marner/Nylander all have their best seasons yet,

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Morgan Rielly isn't a legit # 1 Defenceman in the NHL.

Matthews will never be as good as McDavid

1- Can't say I disagree enough. Not only is he the #1 defenseman for a ~top 7 team in the NHL but he answered the bell physically for me in the Bruins series. One of the only D's that didn't back down from guys like Backes running guys or engaging guys after the whistle. I thought Zaitsev was impressive in this regard as well.

2- That much is obvious, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad