Unpopular opinion: Regular season hockey is better than playoff hockey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
As great as playoff hockey is, holy **** do they still need to call penalties.

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
Regular season is terrible, playoffs is intense and pretty much every game is worth watching, dumbest thread I've ever seen.

Morlu

Nov 4, 2011
My only issue with playoff hockey is how season 2.0 has different rules. Speed isn't always >>> when u can hook and hold and not get calls. Look at this Edmonton game as a perfect example.

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
Yeah there's nothing quite like that regular season rush of knowing neither team is really giving it their all.

Look, I get what you're saying. The beautiful highlight reel goals are less common, but that's only because both teams are (mostly) legitimately leaving everything on the line. In regular season you'll see more creative plays because there are more lackadaisical efforts. In the playoffs, every inch of ice is battled for and though every goal may not be pretty, they are definitely fought hard for and earned.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
My only issue with playoff hockey is how season 2.0 has different rules. Speed isn't always >>> when u can hook and hold and not get calls. Look at this Edmonton game as a perfect example.

The Penguins last year had no trouble playing a speed game.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
I love regular season hockey but the Playoffs are where the winner of the Stanley Cup is decided. That makes them better (more meaningful, more exciting, more everything) by itself.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I know this is sacrilegious and there are some thing that playoff hockey is better for. For the most part playoff hockey is more intense and harder hitting. However, I feel like we lost a lot of the creativity from the game because of how tightly the game is played. You rarely get to see the creative plays that you see in the regular season. In the playoffs most goals are garbage goals. Now, that's true of the regular season too, but not to the same extent.

Anyone agree?

Agreed! And pre-season hockey is far better than regular season hockey. You get to see teams of half NHLers and half junior level prospects and journeymen play totally random games where no one cares about winning. But there are more fights and they are higher scoring so they are better!

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Playoff hockey is more intense, but i think that making the playoffs is tougher then winning the Stanley Cup, to make the playoffs you have to go thru six months of grueling schedule, all the injuries, the travel and it's an accomplishment to qualify for the playoffs.

To win the Stanley Cup its 2 months and you play against 4 teams if you reach the final, its an amazing accomplishment also to win the Cup, but first to have a shot at winning the Cup you have to make the playoffs.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
tumblr_lkqm0enAZt1qh59n0o1_500.gif

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
nah boi

i have trouble watching regular season games that aren't ranger games at this point. even then, i'm not that invested.

playoffs is when i watch ever game i possibly can and actually get invested.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
the difference between the two is night and day. Every year when the league starts 3 4 months after watching playoff hockey I think is this a joke. the first few games of the reg season are the biggest letdown until you get use to them not trying hard to win every game and then its almost a surprise every spring when they start killing each other in the playoffs again. Think it was a couple years ago in the first round when it seemed like a whole other level of physicality. Remember flyer pens and backes's blues ramping it up anther level. Reg season hockey is almost a waste of time when compared unless you want to see Crosby skate with 1 hand thru 5 sabres named sally to score a highlight goal.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Even when the league didn't suck and goals weren't at a minimum the playoffs were still better than the regular season.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I guess you could argue that it is objectively 'better', in the same way a parked, pristine, showroom car is 'better' than that same car in the middle of a race. It's in better shape, yes, but means less and isn't entertaining.

But that's an arguable point, anyway. Playoff games are better, because they mean more and every player knows it. There is no coasting, or giving up. It's so much better.

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
lol **** no

1st round of the playoffs is the most exciting hockey.

I second that. First round is the best. 4-5 games each night. Playoff hockey from 7-12:30 every night. Yeah baby!!!!!!!

Oh and i respectfully disagree with the OP. Even in regular season the pretty plays do not happen every night. Nothing compares to the speed and intensity of playoff hockey, not regular season, not any kind of athletic competition anywhere in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad