Unpopular opinion: Regular season hockey is better than playoff hockey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I know this is sacrilegious and there are some thing that playoff hockey is better for. For the most part playoff hockey is more intense and harder hitting. However, I feel like we lost a lot of the creativity from the game because of how tightly the game is played. You rarely get to see the creative plays that you see in the regular season. In the playoffs most goals are garbage goals. Now, that's true of the regular season too, but not to the same extent.

Anyone agree?

Playoff hockey is all about bounces and luck. People like it more because it's intense, but it's certainly less skillful and creative. I agree with you. I think playoffs in all sports are dumb.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Playoff hockey isnt what it used to be, but its still better than regular season hockey. Weird opinion..

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I know this is sacrilegious and there are some thing that playoff hockey is better for. For the most part playoff hockey is more intense and harder hitting. However, I feel like we lost a lot of the creativity from the game because of how tightly the game is played. You rarely get to see the creative plays that you see in the regular season. In the playoffs most goals are garbage goals. Now, that's true of the regular season too, but not to the same extent.

Anyone agree?

Playoff hockey is more exciting because of what is at stake and there is usually a noticeable difference in the intensity. However, it isn't as exciting as it once was. Grew up in the 80's and 90's. Those games were exciting. Tonight so far has been soccer on ice.

Il Stugotz

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2008
44 miles from Chicago
It takes lots of talent and creativity just to earn controlled zone exits and entries with how tight the checking is in the playoffs. I think the OP just might not be good at watching hockey.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
Specifically in regards to creativity...

It requires more creativity and improvisation to make plays with less time and space. Regular season "creativity" is often the execution of set plays that are rehearsed in practice, or having a little more room to maneuver and take risks.

In the playoffs, you don't always get an extra half second to toe drag before you get the shot off. Somebody is bearing down on you more often and your margin for error is much smaller. You have to think on your skates and make decisions that aren't as routine.

It requires vastly more creativity in the playoffs, just to do the little things that don't show up on highlight reels.

You might as well be saying the all star game is better than the games that matter, because players can show off during skills competitions.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona

Anyone agree?

Nope. Should be banned for this post.

deadpenguin

Mar 27, 2017
There is nothing, nothing better than overtime playoff hockey

Talk about getting the heart racing

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
WlnSAwx.gif

Playoff hockey is the pinnacle of sport.

Bruin4Life

Nov 6, 2006

Anyone agree?

I hate that hockey has turned into a pansy sport. Figure skating. Playoff hockey is the only type of hockey

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Specifically in regards to creativity...

It requires more creativity and improvisation to make plays with less time and space. Regular season "creativity" is often the execution of set plays that are rehearsed in practice, or having a little more room to maneuver and take risks.

In the playoffs, you don't always get an extra half second to toe drag before you get the shot off. Somebody is bearing down on you more often and your margin for error is much smaller. You have to think on your skates and make decisions that aren't as routine.

It requires vastly more creativity in the playoffs, just to do the little things that don't show up on highlight reels.

You might as well be saying the all star game is better than the games that matter, because players can show off during skills competitions.

Maybe it takes more creativity to pull off creative plays in the playoffs, but those plays so rarely happen.

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014
Playoff hockey might be tight, but the "drive" and "need" for pucks is absolutely heightened. Players who might not be puck hounds before, become them. It's good stuff to see players working their ***** off on every play.

Maybe it takes more creativity to pull off creative plays in the playoffs, but those plays so rarely happen.

But when they do they look like Gretzky/Lemiux. Everyday puck battles and races for pucks are entertaining because of what that puck possession could be. The importance of the average play is raised. Therefore a more entertaining game.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013

I think your definition of creative is a little off. What you want to see is flashy or showy. The stuff you can see teenagers do on home videos.

Surprising your oppenent by quickly moving your stick in the perfect spot to pin his stick in awkwardly against his legs and positioning your body in a way that throws him off balance and boxes him out of the play in order to give your team mate a clear passing lane... That's true creativity. And that kind of thing is happening in multiple spots on the ice at all times in playoff hockey.

Passing through your legs or toe dragging in open ice isn't creative at all, as skillful as it might be... but it seems that's what your more interested in seeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad