Post-Game Talk: Unpolished knob but still a win

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
4 point night. No he shouldn’t have.
Hah hah. Whoever you’re responding with I have ignored, I think I know who it is from yesterday’s discussions. I won’t be taking his bait.

And I agree. I loved Drais’s passion after getting dumped and then stuffing 4 points down their pie holes. He put his money where his mouth was.

Show me a fresh NHL coach that just took over the bench for a new team that benches a superstar for this, and your probably looking at a deadman walking after just one game.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
That's with all the hindsight in the world though.

At the time of his draft he did look like a superstar tier player. I remember in the OHL he bodychecked a guy clean through the glass which was insane.
Never forget watching Yakupov in first prospects camp and scrmmage games at Sherwood Park Millenium place. I'd never seen a player dominate so much. He was controlling puck, owning puck, going through several players and scored 3-4 times. There was Yakupov, and every other player was just there being pylons. The guy was a good talent. Its not the reason he didn't succeed.

• Haha
Reactions: harpoon

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He plays a very risky game. Could see this injury coming from a mile away. I appreciate his motor and energy and his willingness to lay it all on the line, but if he wants a long career here he’ll have to do that in a less chaotic way and find some calmness and poise to this game.
Said this before as well. So much edge and sharp turns in Holloways game, and its the unique way in which he stays tight in puck batttles and pressure. He'll have to make some adjustments but he is putting himself in too much potential for boards injuries

my take is that the young player is jacked and amped. I'll take that, and that he will calm it down as he finds other ways to succeed at this level. Doesn't help either that Woodcroft created such an urgency for Holloway to feel desperation in every shift not knowing when the next one will be.

Hah hah. Whoever you’re responding with I have ignored, I think I know who it is from yesterday’s discussions. I won’t be taking his bait.

And I agree. I loved Drais’s passion after getting dumped and then stuffing 4 points down their pie holes. He put his money where his mouth was.

Show me a fresh NHL coach that just took over the bench for a new team that benches a superstar for this, and your probably looking at a deadman walking after just one game.
Pissing Drai off isn't always the opponent best plan. I don't know Bo Horvat as any genius either.

But Drai certainly made this his game, and the Islanders his bitch. Any Islanders fan probably hated and feared him being on the ice. How do you even defend some of his passes. No look passes that are gold. Even before Drai got on scoreboard the pass to Kane was OMG. The type of play even opponent fans would have to respect.

Drai always has his posters here that take his number though and find any reason to critique.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Both times he got beat were high glove, too. Every single one of Schwartz' goalies has similar glove issues.
Thankfully he got a little piece of the puck on the 2nd shot or that game might have ended in a loss instead. Earlier in the season that beats him clean.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
We will see. But this has been the knock on McLeod since hes been drafted. Not sure a leopard can change its spots.
I kind of think McLeod stops up like he does because he see's Drai doing it so often. But Drai is the best player and finder of open players in the world. So that its a working strategy for him.

A working strategy for McLeod would be to show him Todd Marchant films. Just simplify your game. Use speed to heat seek missile puck to net. Either skate it to net or just put puck there for rebounds. McLeod has to learn how to be a garbage player and make the greasy plays. Its what Knob was referring to when he says hockey plays so often involve just doing the small things that a player can do. For McLeod its use his speed to break contain. Sweeping behind net not bad either.

Reactions: bone

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Is it just me or did it seem the Oilers D joined the cycle alot more? The announcer said Coffey told them to carry the puck more and stop useless dumps. I even noticed Ceci tried to make waaaay more plays and even dumped it to the opposite corner a few times

Ppl who laughed at the Coffey signing, take notice
I was one who wasn’t thrilled seeing him behind the bench but I did like how much he was communicating with players during the game. That was just the first game though. I think the thing to look at going forward is how Coffey reacts to the grind of being committed to the job and all it entails as the season goes on. There’s a lot of work involved in being an assistant coach as opposed to just being a part time consultant. He’s taking that on for the first time at age 62 when he’s never given any indication of being interested in doing it before. We’ll see what it looks like a few months from now. That’s my biggest concern with this move.

Reactions: TB12

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
That's with all the hindsight in the world though.

At the time of his draft he did look like a superstar tier player. I remember in the OHL he bodychecked a guy clean through the glass which was insane.

Some people were pretty vocal anti Yakupov before the draft.

I said he was Gilbert Brule incarnate and he'd never be anything in the NHL unless he became more a more cerebral shooter / support piece (think Stamkos) rather than trying to be a Bure / Ovechkin style line driver.

He was never going to be that kind of bull in the China shop in the NHL at 5'8 180 lbs.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Big f*** you from draisaitl to everyone who doubted him
I don't think most people doubted him, but even Leon will tell you he wasn't playing very well, and the stats backed that up. Considering a lot of hard earned money from fans that pay his salary, I doubt he would ever consider the f*** you to anyone in that category.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Never forget watching Yakupov in first prospects camp and scrmmage games at Sherwood Park Millenium place. I'd never seen a player dominate so much. He was controlling puck, owning puck, going through several players and scored 3-4 times. There was Yakupov, and every other player was just there being pylons. The guy was a good talent. Its not the reason he didn't succeed.
And then....he came up against men, and no more 16 and 17 year olds.:D

Reactions: TB12 and McTonyBrar

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Is it just me or did it seem the Oilers D joined the cycle alot more? The announcer said Coffey told them to carry the puck more and stop useless dumps. I even noticed Ceci tried to make waaaay more plays and even dumped it to the opposite corner a few times

Ppl who laughed at the Coffey signing, take notice
Absolutely noticed more D puch rushes from Nurse and Booch and this used to be a staple in Nurse's game so its odd we were seeing less of it before.

its about using skillsets and if that skillset is there to skate the puck in why not do it? Should see more of it from Ekholm too when healthy and Broberg getting another opportunity down the line.

Ceci is somebody that can skate and make plays in opponent zone but really got away from that as well.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Some people were pretty vocal anti Yakupov before the draft.

I said he was Gilbert Brule incarnate and he'd never be anything in the NHL unless he became more a more cerebral shooter / support piece (think Stamkos) rather than trying to be a Bure / Ovechkin style line driver.

He was never going to be that kind of bull in the China shop in the NHL at 5'8 180 lbs.

Don't think Nail was that small, his draft combine height seems to be just a shade over 5'11.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Missed this

That was pretty dumb and pretty dangerous. I don't mind Leon being aggressive and giving it to other players to get some room, etc, but doing stupid shit like that does nothing to get you respect. That's the kind of garbage Nurse does now and then.

Reactions: Yuke

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Absolutely noticed more D puch rushes from Nurse and Booch and this used to be a staple in Nurse's game so its odd we were seeing less of it before.

its about using skillsets and if that skillset is there to skate the puck in why not do it? Should see more of it from Ekholm too when healthy and Broberg getting another opportunity down the line.

Ceci is somebody that can skate and make plays in opponent zone but really got away from that as well.

I don't want any of these guys pinching/activating unless McDavid has the D collapsing low (like Bouchard did last night to take a wicked slapper) to be honest.

We've scored like one notable goal all year from D pinching/activating it feels like and that was Kulak's goal in the Heritage Classic.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
And then....he came up against men, and no more 16 and 17 year olds.:D
17 goals in a 48 game shortened season prorates to 29goals on a regular season. Yak knocked it out of the park for a rookie. That wasn't really the issue. it was more who the coach was his sophomore season.

Remembering as well he was only getting 14mins/night rookie season. That is some uber production for a rookie.

Reactions: CornKicker

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Both times he got beat were high glove, too. Every single one of Schwartz' goalies has similar glove issues.
Big picture has been an evolving trend of how goals are scored. Overwhelming number of goals scored in past were low given the stand-up technique used. Modern stick technology and butterfly tending style (implemented to address the bottom net vulnerability) have exposed more high shot, specifically high glove scoring tendencies. With these sticks everyone can wire the puck now.

Short-side upper cheddar trend: Short-side goals on the rise as shooters adjust to goalies

Shooters are accurate and shot is as hard as it's ever been.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Nail on the head with this one. I understand why some posters were sad to see him go, holes in the roster, the players were slumping, goaltending was horrid but he owns some of the mistakes as well, particularly back to getting outcoached badly in the Vegas series. Maybe the team subconsciously gave up a bit on him after that.
Agreed. Unfortunate it came to the point he was let go, but with all the issues, he became part of the problem with all the others, and was not coming up with any solutions. Some of the game decisions were baffling at times, and the lack of accountability finished him.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
That was pretty dumb and pretty dangerous. I don't mind Leon being aggressive and giving it to other players to get some room, etc, but doing stupid shit like that does nothing to get you respect. That's the kind of garbage Nurse does now and then.
My worry always is that Drai in doing this only opens it up to him receiving more abuse. Seems like a masochist that way. He knows its gonna come back on him, and does it anyway, but its the biggest consequence in playing with the dirty sword.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
17 goals in a 48 game shortened season prorates to 29goals on a regular season. Yak knocked it out of the park for a rookie. That wasn't really the issue. it was more who the coach was his sophomore season.

Remembering as well he was only getting 14mins/night rookie season. That is some uber production for a rookie.
And a bunch of those 17 goals were scored in the last week or 2 during garbage time. Eakins was trash, no question, but Yak went through lots of other coaches after that, and never took any steps forward. His demise is 100 % on him.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
And a bunch of those 17 goals were scored in the last week or 2 during garbage time. Eakins was trash, no question, but Yak went through lots of other coaches after that, and never took any steps forward. His demise is 100 % on him.
Oh yeah. Like I've said Yaks disposition wasn't for pro hockey. He's not even a materialist or motivated by bucks. He loves hockey but not enough to be great at it. Its harder perhaps for us to understand the psyche of a religious guy that was Tatar.

Still, with the right guidance he could've been a better player. But he had to want it and ultimately like many that go onto fail at this level it didn't mean everything to him. he thought it did coming in, but he fell out of love with the pro hockey game. Hasn't really rediscovered it in Russia either.

he'd be a hard guy to coach or motivate.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Said this before as well. So much edge and sharp turns in Holloways game, and its the unique way in which he stays tight in puck batttles and pressure. He'll have to make some adjustments but he is putting himself in too much potential for boards injuries

my take is that the young player is jacked and amped. I'll take that, and that he will calm it down as he finds other ways to succeed at this level. Doesn't help either that Woodcroft created such an urgency for Holloway to feel desperation in every shift not knowing when the next one will be.

Pissing Drai off isn't always the opponent best plan. I don't know Bo Horvat as any genius either.

But Drai certainly made this his game, and the Islanders his bitch. Any Islanders fan probably hated and feared him being on the ice. How do you even defend some of his passes. No look passes that are gold. Even before Drai got on scoreboard the pass to Kane was OMG. The type of play even opponent fans would have to respect.

Drai always has his posters here that take his number though and find any reason to critique.

We had the same thoughts on Yamo early on, and I think ultimately were proven right.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
We had the same thoughts on Yamo early on, and I think ultimately were proven right.

We should have done what Vegas has been doing and just traded all these picks for immediate NHL help. Holloway pick, Broberg pick, etc. etc. etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad