Post-Game Talk: Unpolished knob but still a win

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Said this before as well. So much edge and sharp turns in Holloways game, and its the unique way in which he stays tight in puck batttles and pressure. He'll have to make some adjustments but he is putting himself in too much potential for boards injuries

my take is that the young player is jacked and amped. I'll take that, and that he will calm it down as he finds other ways to succeed at this level. Doesn't help either that Woodcroft created such an urgency for Holloway to feel desperation in every shift not knowing when the next one will be.

Pissing Drai off isn't always the opponent best plan. I don't know Bo Horvat as any genius either.

But Drai certainly made this his game, and the Islanders his bitch. Any Islanders fan probably hated and feared him being on the ice. How do you even defend some of his passes. No look passes that are gold. Even before Drai got on scoreboard the pass to Kane was OMG. The type of play even opponent fans would have to respect.

Drai always has his posters here that take his number though and find any reason to critique.
Amen.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
I don't think most people doubted him, but even Leon will tell you he wasn't playing very well, and the stats backed that up. Considering a lot of hard earned money from fans that pay his salary, I doubt he would ever consider the f*** you to anyone in that category.

Just go through the PGT’s of the past 4 losses. “Lazy”, “bad leader”, “trade him”, “we’ll never win with him and Mcdavid”.

He had 15 points prior to yesterday. Hardly a bad stat line. But I do agree he wasn’t playing his best hockey.

Just find it funny how guys were pointing fingers at him and Mcdavid as if they were the biggest problems on our team

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
If we are open to the idea of wishing players would transform their games, I'd start from the top.

McDavid with his speed and skill playing a more aggressive, in your face style would transform the club. Draisaitl in tow. Every single person would follow. If you saw McDavid first on pucks on the forecheck laying the bed every time the opportunity was there to do so, you would also see McLeod doing driving the puck wide and taking it to the hole. I really do believe that.

Like you said, he's imitating the players above him. That's completely normal in any environment where men are being led. I would argue every team in the league operates in a similar manner, with their role and depth players following the leaders. Of course over time the playstyles will rub off on one another, especially in practice when you're all joking around and watching McDavid dance through everybody, then you see Desharnais and McLeod and Ryan all trying to be fancy with the puck too. This is how life works.

The greatest teams in league history were able to emulate their leaders to great success because their leaders played a style that was feasible for anyone to follow along with. What do you think of me making a claim that Messier was the real leader of the Oilers dynasty? Well, he certainly was the vocal leader, and his courageous, hard-nosed played and demands from the rest of the group below him to follow were met. Gretzky did his own thing, but that club, Messier included, was bright enough to know they had to do something different, together, with Wayne on his island.

It seems this group hasn't realized that yet, or we do not have a Messier around to bridge the gap so to speak. This is me thinking abstractly and it could be far off the mark, but I really do think this club has to be seen as the same. McDavid should be on his own island because nobody on earth can play the sport like him. They can't get to him, but maybe McDavid can get to them. There is a wading valley here that needs to be gapped somehow so everyone is on the same page, as a team.

Could Draisaitl re-invent his game in a way that other players can look up to and emulate? Can he be a Messier? Again, like Marchant and McLeod, I think those types of players are born that way unfortunately. I love Draisaitl as a player, but if you could put a Bergeron, Messier, Marchand, Crosby type player in his place, do you? In Pitt for example, Crosby played the game in a way it was easy for the rest of the lineup to emulate. Of course he has a litany of special moments only a handful of players ever could have, but the strength of his game 95% of the time was hard, aggressive forechecking, dominating board battles with strength and smarts, dogged determination in all zones. A true, nearly psychotic determination to win. That rubbed off real well on guys like Kunitz, Rust, Dupuis, Guentzel, the list really goes on and on and on with that team. From the top down they had all of their guys playing the same way.

Sorry for the ramble, but I do think this is way more important than most people are willing to think or discuss. I could be off the mark. You put Messier in place of Draisaitl (again, I love Draisaitl) and this team beats Vegas last year. Or you convince McDavid and Draisaitl both to start believing it is their duty to retrieve every single puck, not their linemates, and you'll see a more determined effort.

I mean hell, you see how badly they try to get the puck back during scrambles on the powerplay. It's not like they're incapable. Why can't they have the same tenacity for every single dump in like other generational superstars have had like Crosby, Messier, Marchand, etc?
I see Mess and Drai as pretty comparable and both team leaders and that both willed themselves to greatness post draft. Neither were supposed to be generational players. But both elevated arguably to be on great clubs with generational players. Not many people around to remember when Mess was basically just a fast skater with a mean streak and strength for his age but no hands. Took him awhile to hone his skills. Interestingly neither Drai or Mess could be described as natural goal scorers. They jsut worked really hard on certain plays and perfected aspects of their finishing.

I think the problem for McD or Drai here is they didn't get mentorship Like Crosby or other greats did. At the pro level they've had to figure it out pretty much on their own.

With Mess as well he played on a much more complete, and allstar loaded team and along with Glenn Anderson was initially the higher talent, he had a lot of team mates to learn from.

In contrast put Mess on a Canucks team where his skillsets and leadership didn't fit and it was a disaster. It did work very well here and in NY. But again Mark had a lot mroe help than McDrai, and Sather and Muckler were best in business.

The thing as well is that when Mess would be retrieving pucks he had nothing but allstars to pass the puck to. Drai has not had that often, and only recently was afforded that.

Mess never had to play years with subpar linemates. He had gold almost always. Look at some of the line configs. Mess had Anderson, Linseman, Simpson, Kent Nillson.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Just go through the PGT’s of the past 4 losses. “Lazy”, “bad leader”, “trade him”, “we’ll never win with him and Mcdavid”.

He had 15 points prior to yesterday. Hardly a bad stat line. But I do agree he wasn’t playing his best hockey.

Just find it funny how guys were pointing fingers at him and Mcdavid as if they were the biggest problems on our team
All the pissing and moaning about Draisaitl and he's right on usual pace, and 1 point out of topten, and a lot of upstarts in front that will fall back. This happens often in NHL seasons.

At any point theres been decades of iterations of Oilers where we would be even happy to have a topten player. Now if we don't have two players in 1,2 production spots its considered a disaster.

McDrai are the reasons to watch Oilers hockey and remain that. Fans here won't see two players like this again. Better enjoy it.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Agreed, there are some on here (and out there) that get carried away in their views and assessments, but everybody is entitled to their opinion I guess. Hopefully McDrai have some juice now and we can get this train rolling!

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Very happy to see Draisaitl get out of the funk he was in. We missed you, the team needs you, welcome back!
Stu with another strong game.

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
All the pissing and moaning about Draisaitl and he's right on usual pace, and 1 point out of topten, and a lot of upstarts in front that will fall back. This happens often in NHL seasons.

At any point theres been decades of iterations of Oilers where we would be even happy to have a topten player. Now if we don't have two players in 1,2 production spots its considered a disaster.

McDrai are the reasons to watch Oilers hockey and remain that. Fans here won't see two players like this again. Better enjoy it.
This is shaping up to be a big season for Draisaitl imo. With the way things have gone down, McDavid being injured. This is a good opportunity for him to just be the guy many argue is a top 3 in the world. I want to see him throw the team on his back because I do think he has it in him. But there are things he needs to improve on to make that happen.
Especially with McDavid being hurt, I think this season will have an effect on his contract talks over the summer, and what other teams might be willing to give up for him then or next season. Im not advocating for trading him, but you always have to listen to offers.
I want to see everyone pull their weight because I do think they're capable as constructed of much better results. But I'm hoping for him to have his Malkin year.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
17 goals in a 48 game shortened season prorates to 29goals on a regular season. Yak knocked it out of the park for a rookie. That wasn't really the issue. it was more who the coach was his sophomore season.

Remembering as well he was only getting 14mins/night rookie season. That is some uber production for a rookie.
Yak was a deeply flawed player with a ten cent head who had no idea how to play within a NA system. Couldn’t play his position if his life depended on it. You always give this player the benefit of the doubt by saying he wasn’t materialistic and was very religious so he must have been a good guy who just ‘couldn’t fit in’. How about talking about his massive ego and his stubbornness as well? I saw a recent interview with Yak and it seems like he now realizes why failed in the NHL (and he failed despite all attempts by you to make him out to be something he never was). Good for him for reflecting and becoming more mature. I hope he’s happy wherever he is.

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
So happy they went back to the 1-2-2 in the neutral zone cause the 1-1-3 was getting sliced to death.

Mcdavid still not 100, I thought maybe ribs after the last time I watched them at home but after watching him last night he looks exactly like Nurse did in the playoffs with his hip flexor. Really hope it heals soon.
Agreed. This roster should have always played a 1-2-2, even Lalonde said it during the playoffs last year, which surprises me coming from another active coach, but it was obviously better last night and it's one of the reason we had more defensive structure imo

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle

If they would have scored after that undisciplined penalty the narrative would be different.

When your best player are rattled it filters downwards, always. That was a bush league, selfish play and the team bailed him out.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Didn't see what happened this time but I'm really hoping Holloway isn't just going to become Pitlick 2.0.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Yea this was brutal. The other one I remember last night was him have direct lane to the net from the wall but he decides to stop and pass it back to Nurse :huh:

It's not that McLeod can't though. He just decided that's not his game anymore in the last 1.5 years. Just so weird. It's the same with post-Jack Johnson check to face Eberle. Just decided to stop attacking the net
I was going to mention this.

Been a big fan of McLeod. But he has been playing EXACTLY like Eberle does. But you can understand somewhat with Jordan. WTF is going on with #71?

Reactions: frag2

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Never forget watching Yakupov in first prospects camp and scrmmage games at Sherwood Park Millenium place. I'd never seen a player dominate so much. He was controlling puck, owning puck, going through several players and scored 3-4 times. There was Yakupov, and every other player was just there being pylons. The guy was a good talent. Its not the reason he didn't succeed.

Rumor has it Yakupov was also 2 years older than his Russian “birth certificate”. Would explain his dominance against players his “own age” in Jr and in prospects camp which is way below even an NHL training camp in terms of assessing future NHL success.

Reactions: TB12

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Rumor has it Yakupov was also 2 years older than his Russian “birth certificate”. Would explain his dominance against players his “own age” in Jr and in prospects camp which is way below even an NHL training camp in terms of assessing future NHL success.
Careful I brought up this rumor once and was laughed at repeatedly. Not that I believe it but it would explain a hell of a lot with the guy.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
That is interesting, never heard of that, but it would explain how he looked vastly better than other players in training camp. This also would bring into question need for some kind of checks and balances for NHL and pro leagues in establishing actual age of players in draft.

He did look older, but thats subjective. Thanks for the info.

I was going to mention this.

Been a big fan of McLeod. But he has been playing EXACTLY like Eberle does. But you can understand somewhat with Jordan. WTF is going on with #71?
Ryans brother seems to have a bit more meat to his game than Ryan McLeod does. I was also fooled with the gap toothed grin into thinking maybe this is a player that gets into greasy areas.

Truth told he's been a NA version of Paajarvi with far worse hands.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
That is interesting, never heard of that, but it would explain how he looked vastly better than other players in training camp. This also would bring into question need for some kind of checks and balances for NHL and pro leagues in establishing actual age of players in draft.

Another Russian who played for the Avs and was on the Remparts and went high in the draft was also rumoured to be 2 years older than allowed in the CHL.

Wouldn’t be unlike Russians to cheat at sports now would it?…….:sarcasm:

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton

Ryans brother seems to have a bit more meat to his game than Ryan McLeod does. I was also fooled with the gap toothed grin into thinking maybe this is a player that gets into greasy areas.

Truth told he's been a NA version of Paajarvi with far worse hands.
I feel he can be molded into something tho
Can't teach that world class speed.
But... I've been wrong once before!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad