Management UNEDITED - Don Sweeney addresses the media on Mitchell Miller signing

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
This is a crazy overreaction honestly. I think some should log off on here and get your minds off this. Watch a good movie. Bake some cookies. Don't let this situation have any affect on you. It's not worth it. He may be in the organization. But he's not a Bruin.

I really don't think that's an over reaction. I haven't heard Bergy that uncomfortable talking to the media since his first year in Boston when he was still learning to speak fluent English. He's clearly unhappy with the decision and the team right now. They've taken what should have an awesome buildup to his 1000th point and given him a flaming sack of <bleep> to deal with instead.

If he doesn't retire after this year I'd be shocked.

frankiess

Jan 31, 2019
If I was a player being drafted next year and was confident I would be drafted by someone eventually, then I would tell the Bruins NOT to draft me because I didn’t want to have to play with Miller.
I'm pretty sure someone named betterthanOrr ain't gonna be drafted by the Bruins.

Reactions: Slurpeelover27

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
If I was a player being drafted next year and was confident I would be drafted by someone eventually, then I would tell the Bruins NOT to draft me because I didn’t want to have to play with Miller.
Overreaction. A former 4th round pick. Undersized defenseman. Massive target on his back throughout the hockey world.

Hockey players should rightfully expect by the time they reach Providence or Bruins, this one is long gone if he lasts the week with a contract.

This is an ugly day for management and fans should be irate at even considering the distraction. At the end of the day, it changes nothing for this team and this season. It is still going to be an exciting ride if we allow ourselves to enjoy it.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
This is a total f***show and there is no escaping it. Management HAS to release Miller. This is not going to let up, and I just don’t see how Miller can remain under contract.

Yet another brilliant move by Bruins management. They’re the reason we can’t have anything nice.
I actually think this will die down once the game starts tomorrow. Hopefully all this wont be a major distraction what the team is doing right now. I hope we have a great year and we are at a heck of a start.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I just wanna say that despite the pit I feel in my stomach over Patrice having to answer for this in the media, I’ve greatly enjoyed the way you’ve approached this with a philosophical sense of reasoning. It is a huge reason as to why you’re one of my favorites here.

I do believe in redemption, I just don’t know what the answers are here. I wish with the way the team has been playing, that this distraction was never brought into the fold.

Thanks - I like what you contribute here too!

I also hate seeing Bergy be wheeled out to address and essentially try and mitigate this whole mess. As captain he was going to have to talk about it at some point, but being no doubt forced to do it this way basically as some sort of PR shield is bad form, IMO. You can see how uncomfortable he is with it all.

This just feels like one giant mistake. Sweeney will probably rationalize to himself that he has to think ahead to the future, and he's grabbing an available talent that he doesn't want to pass him by. As I said earlier, he and Neely and whoever else will presumably have thought that the flack will be worth it, and that it'll eventually blow over.

But I think that's firstly to misread the room on just how much and how viscerally the majority of the fanbase and media are against this, and secondly to fail to adequately consider where the Bruins are at right now. 10-1, best start ever, riding on a wave of good feelings around Bergy and Krej and the 'one last shot' for some absolute heroes of Boston. New coach, better atmosphere in the locker room, everything looking so positive both on and off the ice. Just the beginnings of a belief that just maybe that 'one last shot' can really pay off. And then Sweeney goes and throws a massive grenade into the room and gives that narrative one giant whack of ugly unpleasantness.

That's a huge gamble in the midst of a potentially huge year for the franchise, and all for a punt that may never work out, in fact is likely not to, given all the circumstances. It's a baffling move, and we can only hope that a) this is something dealt with quickly by reversing the decision to sign, which feels unlikely, b) this doesn't derail the team's performance and they can still go on to great things, and/or c) somehow, someway, Miller does genuinely prove himself and his changed character and does become a good NHL player. All that's asking rather a lot.

Last edited:

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Honestly makes me more pissed at Sweeney that he's putting Bergeron in a position to need to have this conversation.

Almost like he knows the respect Bergeron has around the league and if he can get Bergy behind it, that will help in the PR battle.

Or Bergeron actually believes this kid is changing, can change and is being honest about it?

It doesn’t always have to be the negative.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Or Bergeron actually believes this kid is changing, can change and is being honest about it?

It doesn’t always have to be the negative.
That was the first thing that, I guess, came out of my mouth. [Signing Miller] goes against what we are as a culture and as a team, and for me as a person."

Yeah, he’s totally for it.

Reactions: pearljamvs5

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I actually think this will die down once the game starts tomorrow. Hopefully all this wont be a major distraction what the team is doing right now. I hope we have a great year and we are at a heck of a start.
I disagree. This is not going to die down for many reasons. The best thing for everyone will be to cut bait and move on.

dangermike

Jan 24, 2022
based on the responses on the forum- i would venture a guess that I believe in second chances more than the average poster here. He was young and people CAN change

All that being said- prolly should skip any signing like this forever. Never worth this type of reaction. Just play hockey 🤷‍♂️😔

frankiess

Jan 31, 2019
Overreaction. A former 4th round pick. Undersized defenseman. Massive target on his back throughout the hockey world.

Hockey players should rightfully expect by the time they reach Providence or Bruins, this one is long gone if he lasts the week with a contract.

This is an ugly day for management and fans should be irate at even considering the distraction. At the end of the day, it changes nothing for this team and this season. It is still going to be an exciting ride if we allow ourselves to enjoy it.
Then why would they sign him? They had to know that there would be fallout. Especially after the Cole episode. It's like an attack on hockey through tweeter. Orchestrated?

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Bruins management, especially Cam Neely of all people are cowards.

Making your captain speak up and address the media, not because the team is on a tear. But because management SOMEHOW managed to take the gift of being the hottest team in the NHL and becoming a clown show.

Anyways, I know it won't matter. But I know I'm taking a break from this and the Bruins for a few days.

It's a disappointment.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
You have got to be kidding me. I figured this story had died down for the night so I went to take my dog for a walk and a shit. I come back and it has gotten even worse.

Bergy saved DS' ass by deciding to come back, which I am sure weighed heavily into Krech coming back. Without Bergy and Krech coming back on an extremely team-friendly deal the Bs are not in the discussion of being a Cup contender. This is the thanks he gets? Maybe the most respected player in the NHL being asked to comment on his team signing a punk who spent 7 years of his life bullying a special needs kid. No win for Bergy no matter how he answers.

Yeah, Bruins management can go f*** themselves really hard on this one. Bergy and his reputation are sacred around these parts. Putting him in this situation given that he has devoted his entire professional career to this team is disgusting and unforgivable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad