Management UNEDITED - Don Sweeney addresses the media on Mitchell Miller signing

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I‘d hope that regardless of where any of us stand on this situation, we can appreciate the absolutely unfair position PB and every player was put in by Sweeney and Neely.

There is no easy answer in real life, without the anonymity that message boards provide.

He simply can’t say “I/we thought it was a terrible idea“…because of the enormous amount of play that would get, which would be a huge distraction.

He also can’t say….I/we’re 100% on board with giving the kid a chance…for the exact same reason.

They are all in a no-win situation…..stupidly placed there by management.

It sucks. How did they think this was a good idea in this market? Let him go to Carolina.

I also don't really like the response either. Sad all the way around. National media members will chime in and take their shots. Local media members will report on hockey for the first time ever just for this story. People who have no interest in the Bruins or hockey will pay attention to this.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
What the hell is your deal?
Asked a question
What do you mean? He states, " As a person and as a team we stand for integrity, inclusion and diversity. So that was the first thing out of my mouth. It goes against what we are as a culture and as a team."
Everyone is against what he did but he did it 7 years ago and was a stupid 14 year old kid ,I keep hearing he didn’t apologize to the other kid or his family,he wasn’t supposed to have any contact with them.

I’d like to understand the detail behind the claim that the most talked about part of the incident might have happened at 14 but then continued on until the was 18. That potentially nullifies the entire “dumb 14 year old” narrative if true
Never head that part ,that would definitely change my opinion If true.

• Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Sending St. Patrice to do damage control

Sweeney all but said in his presser Bergeron had concerns.

Sweeney said, more than once, that the move may not be worth it. He said that the Bruins took Miller off their draft board in 2020. He said some of the leaders on his roster asked why Miller was signed at all.

The Bruins thought they could drop this news on a Friday news dump totally overlooking the team is in TORONTO.

Pierre McGuire is mystified by this - Fast Forward to 6:50

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
God, Bergy looks so uncomfortable being put in that position. I'm sure he's pissed at having to be the one dealing with this bullshit in public with the media, having to walk a thin line in between how he really feels vs. the demands of management.
Bergy handled it perfectly. He wants the kid to turn it around and I bet my last dollar bergy will help in the process and get him straight.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I couldn’t even make it through the 45 second clip of Bergeron speaking on this. He’s clearly uncomfortable and I can’t bear to see him struggle like that. I’m not even upset with Bergeron. I’m more upset that they’re using 20 years of perfection to get them out of their latest jam

KrugAvoy

Aug 11, 2017
Lowell
Still time to make this right and release him. Do the right thing admit this was wrong and we can move on and focus on this team being in 1st place

Reactions: quietbruinfan

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Unless this kid is a model citizen and a star there is no upside to this. The arrogant idiots could not leave well enough alone. Now they have doubtless annoyed more than a few players and opened a Pandora's box with the media. Our identity was surprise contender, now it is the team that unbelievably signed a scumbag no one else would touch.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Bergy handled it perfectly. He wants the kid to turn it around and I bet my last dollar bergy will help in the process and get him straight.
I want him to turn it around too, but i was led to believe that he had taken (in all sincerity) and is still taking the steps to be better

It seems like that isn’t the case and he only started to try once the NHL was on the line

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I didnt hear that I heard he wants the kid to turn it around.
You didn’t hear this…

"... That was the first thing that, I guess, came out of my mouth. [Signing Miller] goes against what we are as a culture and as a team, and for me as a person."

Listen to the tone of his voice. He doesn’t want to be there.

Reactions: pearljamvs5

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I'm going to chose my words really carefully here, so please don't think I'd advocating something that I'm not. With that said, I find the argument, that's been made by some folks, that someone like Miller shouldn't be allowed to play pro hockey, perhaps ever, to be interesting/curious. Just step away a moment from the discussion around whether or not he as an individual has done enough to show remorse and make amends for his actions - for the record, as I've already said here, I don't think he has, and I don't think the Bruins should have signed him. But I'm just talking purely in the abstract, about a person who has done what Miller did, as a minor. Presumably the argument against allowing him to have a hockey contract is largely that he doesn't deserve to earn lots of money, and pro athletes in some sense at least are supposed to be role models and stand for integrity, inclusion etc.

Ok, if that's the case, where's the line drawn? It so happens that Miller is good at hockey and wants to make a career out of it - that's his desired path. The rewards that come with it are purely secondary. But if that is barred to him, what else is too? What occupations is he allowed to perform? And where's the threshold for redemption? What does he have to do and/or prove to earn back the right to be a hockey player, or a doctor, or a mechanic, or anything else? This raises all sorts of interesting ethical questions for which there are often no easy answers.

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
If I was a player being drafted next year and was confident I would be drafted by someone eventually, then I would tell the Bruins NOT to draft me because I didn’t want to have to play with Miller.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Unless this kid is a model citizen and a star there is no upside to this. The arrogant idiots could not leave well enough alone. Now they have doubtless annoyed more than a few players and opened a Pandora's box with the media. Our identity was surprise contender, now it is the team that unbelievably signed a scumbag no one else would touch.

Yeah the one year we were really going to get a lot of good will and be universally popular with Krejci and Bergeron still being very good and some appreciation for those guys and superstars like Pasternak and McAvoy they f*** it up like this.

The public trial and execution of this kid isn't enjoyable for me either, I assume hes some shitty hockey bro bully douche but don't really care about the details and how sorry he actually is there isn't anything he can really do and if I did something terrible in my past no matter what it was or how bad I'm sure I'd want to ignore it and pretend it never happened.

CrownofThornton

Jul 8, 2012
I'm going to chose my words really carefully here, so please don't think I'd advocating something that I'm not. With that said, I find the argument, that's been made by some folks, that someone like Miller shouldn't be allowed to play pro hockey, perhaps ever, to be interesting/curious. Just step away a moment from the discussion around whether or not he as an individual has done enough to show remorse and make amends for his actions - for the record, as I've already said here, I don't think he has, and I don't think the Bruins should have signed him. But I'm just talking purely in the abstract, about a person who has done what Miller did, as a minor. Presumably the argument against allowing him to have a hockey contract is largely that he doesn't deserve to earn lots of money, and pro athletes in some sense at least are supposed to be role models and stand for integrity, inclusion etc.

Ok, if that's the case, where's the line drawn? It so happens that Miller is good at hockey and wants to make a career out of it - that's his desired path. The rewards that come with it are purely secondary. But if that is barred to him, what else is too? What occupations is he allowed to perform? And where's the threshold for redemption? What does he have to do and/or prove to earn back the right to be a hockey player, or a doctor, or a mechanic, or anything else? This raises all sorts of interesting ethical questions for which there are often no easy answers.

I just wanna say that despite the pit I feel in my stomach over Patrice having to answer for this in the media, I’ve greatly enjoyed the way you’ve approached this with a philosophical sense of reasoning. It is a huge reason as to why you’re one of my favorites here.

I do believe in redemption, I just don’t know what the answers are here. I wish with the way the team has been playing, that this distraction was never brought into the fold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad