OT: Under Construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Rise of Skywalker could have been an excellent movie if it wasn't trying to unscrew the last two parts of the trilogy and didn't try to toss in every possible bit of nostalgia they found in an old prop closet or scraped up from the retirement home to make a cameo.

This was my main complaint as well, it felt like JJ at least wanted to erase The Last Jedi and tried to fit two films worth of his own story into one. Rather than just carrying on the story arc and wrapping up the series, he introduced several new plot lines in the first half and then still had to tie it all together in the second half. I think some of that might be at the direction of Disney, it felt like there were several setups for possible spinoff films/series.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I re-watched TLJ last night. I think I liked it more in retrospect. I remember coming away at the time annoyed by their portrayal of Luke Skywalker (save for the epic finale) and how they seemed to turn Finn into a comedy sidebar. But those two things didn't resonate as much the second time around. It was certainly a slower pace overall than the frenetic Rise of Skywalker. Not that any of these movies are really much into character development... but there was a little more of that attempted in TLJ than the others. How much of that "set the table" for RoS, how much could instead be interpreted as "saddling JJA with constraints", I don't know. But anyway, I liked TLJ better now from hindsight. It wasn't very "epic" like some of the movies, really, but if you take into account how a lot of those threads were ultimately handled in RoS, I think it made at least a little more sense. :dunno:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I'll never think that movie is good simple because of what they did with Luke. He was the single most hopeful character in the series, he saw the good even in one of the most villainous characters in StarWars m but yet he sees a bit of the dark side in his nephew and his first reaction is to kill him? Get that shit out of here.

The movie might be decent to watch, but the story is pure junk.

Reactions: NNCbama

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I'll never think that movie is good simple because of what they did with Luke. He was the single most hopeful character in the series, he saw the good even in one of the most villainous characters in StarWars m but yet he sees a bit of the dark side in his nephew and his first reaction is to kill him? Get that **** out of here.

The movie might be decent to watch, but the story is pure junk.
Maybe they could have tried to support that Luke/Ben conflict better. We don't know anything about what Ben did during his training or was feeling or what Luke saw in him save for those few seconds they show from the characters' povs. Since it was such a departure from Luke, they should have supported it better, for sure.

But I'll also say that people definitely do change as they get older. A lot do seem to become more conservative and fearful, curmudgeonly instead of necessarily "wise". Well, people around me sure seem to. It's just we are thrown this change in Luke without any context or backstory, unfortunately, no time for us to adjust. Given their constraints in a movie format, they simply shouldn't have gone there, should have known full well it would turn most fans off the way they portrayed it.

All that said, the recoveries at the end of TLJ and in the RoS movie were pretty well played overall. :dunno:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Maybe they could have tried to support that Luke/Ben conflict better. We don't know anything about what Ben did during his training or was feeling or what Luke saw in him save for those few seconds they show from the characters' povs. Since it was such a departure from Luke, they should have supported it better, for sure.

But I'll also say that people definitely do change as they get older. A lot do seem to become more conservative and fearful, curmudgeonly instead of necessarily "wise". Well, people around me sure seem to. It's just we are thrown this change in Luke without any context or backstory, unfortunately, no time for us to adjust. Given their constraints in a movie format, they simply shouldn't have gone there, should have known full well it would turn most fans off the way they portrayed it.

All that said, the recoveries at the end of TLJ and in the RoS movie were pretty well played overall. :dunno:

I'll have to wait on the RoS but there was zero recovery at the end of TLJ. The whole thing from beginning to end was just horrible

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I like The Last Jedi quite a bit. I also like Rose... I understand that's a very unpopular position, lol

I did realize something though. The Zahn trilogy was "Heir to the Empire" and the sequel trilogy could alternatively be titled Heiress to the Empire. And apparently there are a lot of other similarities and references to old EU stuff that Disney conveniently dubber non-canon, and now seems to present as new and original ideas.

Anyway, something to consider that I read about for those who don't like the new films. Star Wars is and has always been the brainchild of George Lucas. Lucas allowed others to expand upon the idea with what was essentially fan fiction. In selling the franchise to Disney, he essentially did the same thing again and one could consider Disney to be just a massive fan fiction project.

If you want Zahn to be your official continuation of the saga, go for it, if you want Disney to be official, go for it. Or enjoy both. But none of it is Lucas, so none of it really counts when you boil it all the way down.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
If you want Zahn to be your official continuation of the saga, go for it, if you want Disney to be official, go for it. Or enjoy both. But none of it is Lucas, so none of it really counts when you boil it all the way down.

Not sure I've seen that extreme before. I figure he created the original and if others build from there then so be it. Doesn't matter to me if he is involved at all. Frankly based on Phantom Menace+ it's probably better that he's not involved.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I'm not sold Lucas' version would have been that good either, but I'm pretty sure the characters wouldn't have been ruined in the manner they were. Lucas had the final trilogy written but Disney chose not to use it.

Lots of people get hung up about the new characters, and I think at their core they are fundamentally sound. It's more how they handled the old ones that bothers me.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I solve the great debate myself by simply not caring about Star Wars. ;)

Oh, and while I'm here, Merry Christmas to those of all y'all who so indulge. :thumbu: :x):

Reactions: Armourboy

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I solve the great debate myself by simply not caring about Star Wars. ;)

Oh, and while I'm here, Merry Christmas to those of all y'all who so indulge. :thumbu: :x):
I only care so much because I met my wife on a StarWars game. Sony and Lucasarts ruined that ( the game not the marriage) so I hate to see the movies done the same way.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I loved star wars growing up. Besides Lord of the Rings it was my favorite movie franchise.

Then attack of the clones happened.

I got really amped for the return of star wars movies when Disney took over. But man, I should've been more cautious. The 3 main Skywalker films were a total dumpster fire. No consistency. No character development and a plot that didn't make any sense from start to finish.

At least Rogue 1 and Solo weren't awful. And the Mandalorian has been pretty great!

Really, if you like fantasy genres and something a little more compelling, I can't recommend Witcher on Netflix enough. Really, really well done.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
This is how @BigFatCat999 and I spent New Year's Eve in Huntsville:
20200101_001156.png

Sadly, we were premature; we're currently waiting in a WalMart on the south side of Bowling Green while my car gets a tire replaced after a blowout on I65:
Attach14695_20200101_163525.jpg

Fun times!

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I loved star wars growing up. Besides Lord of the Rings it was my favorite movie franchise.

Then attack of the clones happened.

I got really amped for the return of star wars movies when Disney took over. But man, I should've been more cautious. The 3 main Skywalker films were a total dumpster fire. No consistency. No character development and a plot that didn't make any sense from start to finish.

At least Rogue 1 and Solo weren't awful. And the Mandalorian has been pretty great!

Really, if you like fantasy genres and something a little more compelling, I can't recommend Witcher on Netflix enough. Really, really well done.
I really really wanted (and expected) to find the Witcher compelling. But somehow it didn't really live up to my expectations. It was well put together and had intriguing fantasy elements and all that. Visually compelling I guess. But the plot didn't really keep me fully engaged. I've never read the books (out of the thousands and thousands of fantasy novels I've read, somehow I missed these), or played the video games. So maybe there is background information that wasn't immediately clear in the TV adaptation that would have helped make the plot more accessible to me? I don't know. But 8 episodes in, it felt like a bit of a jumble to me. Characters were interesting, acting was very fine... but it just never quite pulled together as a compelling story for me. I feel like I should be apologetic about that for some reason. :dunno:

I'll still watch the next 8 episodes because it's still better than 99% of everything else out there. And maybe now with the backstory out of the way it'll become more compelling in the future. Just all the hype heading in made me feel like I was going to really really love it and be left pining for the next season to come. Instead it was more like only decent and I'm totally fine waiting for the next season. :dunno:

AnalogKid

Oct 3, 2017
Sad day, we learned that Neil Peart, the drummer and lyricist for Rush passed away on Tuesday. More than once I saw them at Bridgestone Arena and could get a few folks to join in a Let's Go Predators chant before the show.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Sad day, we learned that Neil Peart, the drummer and lyricist for Rush passed away on Tuesday. More than once I saw them at Bridgestone Arena and could get a few folks to join in a Let's Go Predators chant before the show.

If I ever die in a car crash it will probably be due to the fact that I cant resist air drumming the solo from Tom Sawyer whenever and wherever I hear it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad