OT: Under Construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I saw a review for Rise of Skywalker that called it "The Worst Star Wars Movie Ever!"

So now i'm looking forward to it even more. :snide:
There is no way there are Ewoks or Jar Jar Binks in this. It will NOT be the worst Star Wars movie ever, regardless. That is officially impossible.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
There is no way there are Ewoks or Jar Jar Binks in this. It will NOT be the worst Star Wars movie ever, regardless. That is officially impossible.

Rogue One had awful reviews too and I think it's the best non-OT movie. Pretty much everything i've liked in the last decade has bad reviews, so I take it as a good sign when I see that stuff coming out before a release.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Reviews from Critics I don't pay attention too. Reviews from fans and people I know is another. If it turns out to be what the leaks have been stating it's going to be a shit show.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN

I saw Return of the Jedi in the theater when I was 6. Those Ewoks were awesome then.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I saw Star Wars: A New Hope in the theater. Second person in line, first showing of the day. My dad was first since he was paying :D We didn't camp out but we were there at least 2 hours early. In my keeper things I have a People magazine with the (then fairly unknown) stars on it right before it was released.

Reactions: LCPreds

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Small spoiler...

Someone's post in this thread didn't age well ;)
Well it still wasn't the worst ever. :p: In fact, all things considered, I could see it vying for 3rd or 4th maybe... although it will take me a few more viewings and some lengthier ruminations before I commit to a ranking for sure. Definitely won't be in the bottom 2, anyway. I find it's a little tougher to sympathize with the new characters as much, though, so that takes away from an otherwise entertaining show.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Well it still wasn't the worst ever. :p: In fact, all things considered, I could see it vying for 3rd or 4th maybe... although it will take me a few more viewings and some lengthier ruminations before I commit to a ranking for sure. Definitely won't be in the bottom 2, anyway. I find it's a little tougher to sympathize with the new characters as much, though, so that takes away from an otherwise entertaining show.

I liked it quite a bit. But like you, we won't really know for a few years and several more viewings.

For me right now...

Empire
Jedi
New Hope
Rogue One
TFA
Skywalker
Last Jedi
Ep1
Revenge
Clones

...I actually haven't seen Solo yet, it's on Netflix and I've been meaning to get to it and just haven't, which is blasphemous for how much of a SW geek I am.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Glad to see someone else appreciates Rogue one. To be honest I like both it and Solo better than the first two of this trilogy. Not sure why people were so down on Solo but have a feeling it’s more to do with saturation than relative quality.

I’ll see Skywalker on the 26th and hope I like it better than what some friends reviews have me expecting.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Rogue One and Solo are definitely better than the trilogy although I won't see the last til after Christmas.

I know the plotline though so I already know its around Phatom Menace Territory for me. Nothing can be as bad as TLJ.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Glad to see someone else appreciates Rogue one.

I love that movie, it has better acting and a better pace than the PT or ST, it just feels like it's truly Star Wars. The story is sound, the characters are likeable, it's visually pleasing and fits with the OT better than any the others and the soundtrack is awesome, the main title theme is up there with Binary Sunset for me anyway...

Honestly, I'm easy to please when it comes to SW though, the only movie I really don't get excited to watch is Attack of the Clones and even that one has it's moments, it's just too long and the acting from Portman and Christensen is cringey for the most part.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Glad to see someone else appreciates Rogue one. To be honest I like both it and Solo better than the first two of this trilogy. Not sure why people were so down on Solo but have a feeling it’s more to do with saturation than relative quality.

I’ll see Skywalker on the 26th and hope I like it better than what some friends reviews have me expecting.
I thought Rogue One garnered basically universal acclaim? And that I was basically one of the few who was only lukewarm about it. (Relatively speaking only - still liked it and have re-watched it a couple of times).

I liked Solo a lot. With some of these movies though I probably have trouble letting go of the expanded universe books, because for a lot of years I filled in the gaps by reading a lot of those books and then the movies come along and rip up the previous canon.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I liked Solo a lot. With some of these movies though I probably have trouble letting go of the expanded universe books, because for a lot of years I filled in the gaps by reading a lot of those books and then the movies come along and rip up the previous canon.

Same, I never got into the X-Wing series, but Heir to the Empire and the Mandalorian Armor series (bounty hunter wars?) were fantastic, so was the Tales books (especially Bounty Hunters, Jabba's Palace and the Cantina).

Plus the decipher card game, which blew away the much more popular MTG and Pokemon.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Same, I never got into the X-Wing series, but Heir to the Empire and the Mandalorian Armor series (bounty hunter wars?) were fantastic, so was the Tales books (especially Bounty Hunters, Jabba's Palace and the Cantina).

Plus the decipher card game, which blew away the much more popular MTG and Pokemon.
I read all the Han Solo books I could find, since he was my main guy, and then the Zahn books and on through the heirs sequence in the main timeline moving forward. I guess some of the Solo movie had some nods in the direction of the books. I didn't tend to stray off the mainline characters and descendants much, though. But that's basically straight where the movies go. I wish the movies had followed the books, Mara Jade would have been a good character, some of the Ben/Jaina/Jacen/Anakin stuff I guess got compressed into Kylo Ren and Rey, but the books were a lot better. Or at least I guess that's always my problem with the new characters... I tend to view them as derivatives of the book characters, even if they aren't connected in any way at all and the whole thing truly is just written from scratch as if the rest never existed at all.
:soap:

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I’d love to see the Zahn books made into film. The original Knights of the old Republic as well.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Rise of Skywalker could have been an excellent movie if it wasn't trying to unscrew the last two parts of the trilogy and didn't try to toss in every possible bit of nostalgia they found in an old prop closet or scraped up from the retirement home to make a cameo.

Reactions: Armourboy

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Rise of Skywalker could have been an excellent movie if it wasn't trying to unscrew the last two parts of the trilogy and didn't try to toss in every possible bit of nostalgia they found in an old prop closet or scraped up from the retirement home to make a cameo.
I'm trying to withhold judgement until I see it, but I kind of figure this will be my opinion of it.

I know the brought Lucas in to help edit and try and save the movie after the test screenings.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
The follow-on trilogies may have been a little bit handcuffed by the enormous stature of the original movies and characters. It's a hard act to follow in any way that satisfies the massive army of devotees. How can you not bring in the past favorites for cameos and completely avoid seeming to recycle elements of the stories? I don't know. But hopefully they have a clean break now. I assume that there is an unending stream of new movies coming, anyway. But hopefully they find a fresh start and fresh voices, whether set in a more distant past or future, either way. I'd rather see a totally new start than see them continue to re-use and sometimes abuse the original characters and their legacy.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
The follow-on trilogies may have been a little bit handcuffed by the enormous stature of the original movies and characters. It's a hard act to follow in any way that satisfies the massive army of devotees. How can you not bring in the past favorites for cameos and completely avoid seeming to recycle elements of the stories? I don't know. But hopefully they have a clean break now. I assume that there is an unending stream of new movies coming, anyway. But hopefully they find a fresh start and fresh voices, whether set in a more distant past or future, either way. I'd rather see a totally new start than see them continue to re-use and sometimes abuse the original characters and their legacy.

Who wanted a Wedge Antilles cameo in 2019?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Who wanted a Wedge Antilles cameo in 2019?
I did and now I don't anymore. I think that's precisely the conundrum they were in. Satisfy us Star Wars nerds, until... eventually we realize for ourselves that we don't want that anymore. Hopefully now everybody is free to move on. But anyway, I was talking more about the main characters, Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie, Lando, the droids, etc. Bigger cameos.

And I'd rather have Wedge Antilles than Ewoks. :p:

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
I did and now I don't anymore. I think that's precisely the conundrum they were in. Satisfy us Star Wars nerds, until... eventually we realize for ourselves that we don't want that anymore. Hopefully now everybody is free to move on. But anyway, I was talking more about the main characters, Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie, Lando, the droids, etc. Bigger cameos.

And I'd rather have Wedge Antilles than Ewoks. :p:
I flipped off the screen when those rejected muppets showed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad