Post-Game Talk: UNDEFEATED!!!! Habs win 3-2

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Yeah he should be in Hamilton IMO

No way. I agree his game is better suited for the pros, but you just don't go from being what he was in the OHL last year to playing pro hockey at age 19. It's just such a huge jump.

It was great to see him play like he did tonight, but really, if he craps the bed again in the OHL this year, it's just going to be ridiculously bizarre because as we saw tonight, he has plenty of good attributes in his tool kit. The Miller hit right before the injury is something that has been rarely seen by a Habs forward in decades.

His game tonight actually made me even more puzzled as to how he struggled so badly last year to produce in London. He looked good in our camp a year ago as well.

Hopefully the injury situation is nothing serious that keeps him out for a month or more.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I was going to edit my post to add this one

People are really going to have to keep these pre-season (including last year) performances in mind when they're crapping on him this winter if he struggles again in the OHL. He's built for the pro game. It's that simple. Obviously you want him to be consistent once he graduates to pro hockey, that's the only thing.

I like how his mind is still on putting the puck in the net even after Miller bounced off him. Just like last pre-season, McCarron shows his NHL upside, hopefully he can build off it.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
No way. I agree his game is better suited for the pros, but you just don't go from being what he was in the OHL last year to playing pro hockey at age 19. It's just such a huge jump.

It was great to see him play like he did tonight, but really, if he craps the bed again in the OHL this year, it's just going to be ridiculously bizarre because as we saw tonight, he has plenty of good attributes in his tool kit. The Miller hit right before the injury is something that has been rarely seen by a Habs forward in decades.

His game tonight actually made me even more puzzled as to how he struggled so badly last year to produce in London. He looked good in our camp a year ago as well.

Hopefully the injury situation is nothing serious that keeps him out for a month or more.

It makes you wonder if London is the right fit for him?
They didn't impress me as a north south team which seems to suite Mike's game.

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
Yeah he should be in Hamilton IMO

He definitely needs to be in the OHL. For whatever reason, let's say he doesn't play the same physical style of hockey we've seen from him here in pre-season when he is in London, he still needs to work on his puck skill against non-pro competition.

Any word on McCarron if he is alright or is his arm injured bad?

We'll know tomorrow but if I had to guess it looked like a broken/fractured arm, or a separated shoulder. He had a shoulder problem early last season in the OHL, don't know if it's the same shoulder though.

TroyM

Jan 23, 2004
I can never be worried about McCarron as every outing I've seen of him against pros has been pretty impressive. That was a great game, really hope the injury is not serious. No doubt he's back to London but I really hope next year could be his year, either way, I can't see him not getting a chance in the NHL some day based on his improvement/showing in these 2 pre-seasons. He is a rare prospect who can slot in a 4th line so it's not like he has to beat out the best to get a chance too. Very interesting prospect, no idea how he'll pan out but I'm optimistic.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Darche on RDS is pushing hard to resign Bouillon. He's not even subtle about it.

Bouillon (as Darche did) keeps turning up like a bad penny. You try to get rid of it at the supermarket and you think you're rid of it once and for all but the cashier hands it back to you the next time you go shopping.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
I was going to edit my post to add this one

People are really going to have to keep these pre-season (including last year) performances in mind when they're crapping on him this winter if he struggles again in the OHL. He's built for the pro game. It's that simple. Obviously you want him to be consistent once he graduates to pro hockey, that's the only thing.

Wow, I love how he immediatley puts the puck to the front of the net. The earlier clip of him putting krecji down with zero effort at all. Could he really be our Lucic type player? (I must say that although Lucic is an animal, I would gladly take Mccarron with half the amount of pure liquid hatred and anger as Lucic has coursing through him)

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Really liked mccarron, sekac, and also dlr and scherbak tonight.

Thought Mac did a good job of throwing his weight around, creating some room for his teammates and generally bring unintimidated. He skates well and plays a simple game. Looks like a definite 3rd liner and potentially top 6 winger. I think he'll really challenge for a spot next year.

De la rose looked mature and plays a pro style game. Again, definitely a 3rd liner with top 6 potential. I see him more as an energy guy who plays a strong 2way game. Put him with Eller or Plekanec and he'll be good. Will probably get some games this year and hopefully become a regular next. I see him excelling at forechecking and cycling.

Sekac looks good too. Probably not a great top 6 but he's speedy and is smart. Good positioning and played well with Plekanec. He'd be good with Eller too.

Scherbak is really exciting and has the tools to be a solid top liner alongside chucky. Obviously he's still quite raw but give him at least one more year of junior and he might be ready. He's the kind if player that will likely always make some mistakes like he did on that first goal but you can't teach what he's got. Love his snappy passes and speed with the puck.

Sorkin I thought looked pretty good. Might develop into a solid bottom 6. Moves pretty well for a big man and plays a strong board game. If he keeps things simple and works on his skills and positioning he could play in a few years.

Hudon I really don't get. I've only seen bits of him but I just don't see his smarts or skill. I know he's not a natural centre but to me he looked in impressive. A guy like that should be showing speed to burn and I just didn't see that. Nor did I see strong positional play or decision making. Maybe just a bad game but every time I've seen him it's been like that.

Andrighetto has some wheels and is probably also better on the wing but I don't see him cracking our top 9 barring a lot of injuries. Maybe he'll have a great year with Thomas and come back at another level but for his size he needs more to play in the nhl.

Great to be watching some actual habs games again though. Lots of positives about this group.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Really liked mccarron, sekac, and also dlr and scherbak tonight.

Thought Mac did a good job of throwing his weight around, creating some room for his teammates and being generally unintimidated. He skates well and plays a simple game. Looks like a definite 3rd liner and potentially top 6 winger. I think he'll really challenge for a spot next year.

De la rose looked mature and plays a pro style game. Again, definitely a 3rd liner with top 6 potential. I see him more as an energy guy who plays a strong 2way game. Put him with Eller or Plekanec and he'll be good. Will probably get some games this year and hopefully become a regular next. I see him excelling at forechecking and cycling.

Sekac looks good too. Probably not a great top 6 but he's speedy and is smart. Good positioning and played well with Plekanec. He'd be good with Eller too.

Scherbak is really exciting and has the tools to be a solid top liner alongside chucky. Obviously he's still quite raw but give him at least one more year of junior and he might be ready. He's the kind if player that will likely always make some mistakes like he did on that first goal but you can't teach what he's got. Love his snappy passes and speed with the puck.

Sorkin I thought looked pretty good. Might develop into a solid bottom 6. Moves pretty well for a big man and plays a strong board game. If he keeps things simple and works on his skills and positioning he could play in a few years.

Hudon I really don't get. I've only seen bits of him but I just don't see his smarts or skill. I know he's not a natural centre but to me he looked in impressive. A guy like that should be showing speed to burn and I just didn't see that. Nor did I see strong positional play or decision making. Maybe just a bad game but every time I've seen him it's been like that.

Andrighetto has some wheels and is probably also better on the wing but I don't see him cracking our top 9 barring a lot of injuries. Maybe he'll have a great year with Thomas and come back at another level but for his size he needs more to play in the nhl.

Great to be watching some actual habs games again though. Lots of positives about this group.[/QUOTE]

respect the D

Jan 27, 2013
my 3 stars last night would be , Sorkin, Thomas and Scherbak. and a honrable mention to Sekac. Loved what I saw from these guys

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
I hope one of Tinordi Beaulieu or Pateryn steps up because I don't want to see Bouillon at all... (or full time)

Sekac is the front runner for a NHL spot.

Don't know what we should do with Moen...

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Yeah, Scherbak made a pretty bad turnover on the Bruins first goal, but he picked it up nicely right after and played a solid game. You can tell he's got a good hockey IQ.

Sekac is still the top contender for that last forward spot, IMO.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
Forgot to comment about Sorkin and DLR.

Sorkin: He needs work in the AHL. His mobility and agility on skates is not nearly good enough. Otherwise he gets to the right spots and has a large body.

DLR: While he's good defensively, for me he didn't contribute enough to his line. Quiet type of player. Unless he improves offensively, he's a Moen kind of player (when Moen was better) that doesn't fight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad