Post-Game Talk: UNDEFEATED!!!! Habs win 3-2

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
Tinordi's remaining shortcomings aren't "alarming" (yet), but it starts to be worrysome.

While moving quite well with or without the puck in certain contexts, his feet agility in thight space is below average. He still looks like an average junior player while pivoting on one side, and he's still below average at reading the ice and the play when the other team is entering the zone.

At 24, if he doesn't fix these issues pretty soon, the only solution would be to simplify his game, playing lower and moving the puck by the ramps more often. Then he would become nothing more than a stay-at-home #6-#7 d-man.

And we should not forget that being 24 with remainings important shortcomings means that 50 games into the AHL season, some younger d-men may overpassed him in the depthchart. Like Bournival was risking of loosing his spot because of upcoming talented kids, Tinordi may very well find himself fighting with Dietz, Thrower and Bennett next year.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Tinordi's remaining shortcomings aren't "alarming" (yet), but it starts to be worrysome.

While moving quite well with or without the puck in certain contexts, his feet agility in thight space is below average. He still looks like an average junior player while pivoting on one side, and he's still below average at reading the ice and the play when the other team is entering the zone.

At 24, if he doesn't fix these issues pretty soon, the only solution would be to simplify his game, playing lower and moving the puck by the ramps more often. Then he would become nothing more than a stay-at-home #6-#7 d-man.

And we should not forget that being 24 with remainings important shortcomings means that 50 games into the AHL season, some younger d-men may overpassed him in the depthchart. Like Bournival was risking of loosing his spot because of upcoming talented kids, Tinordi may very well find himself fighting with Dietz, Thrower and Bennett next year.

Tinordi's 22 (born February 20, 1992).

But your points are valid.

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world

Tinordi's only 22 years old, not 24. Still has plenty of time to come into his own.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
I have mixed feeling about Nygren. I'm impressed by his calm and by the way he's playing in his own zone. He's very intelligent, knowing he'll never outmuscle anybody, therefore playing a sound positionning game. It could work. Markov made a career out of it.

What I don't like, tho, is that he doesn't seem to have any urgency in his game. I think he should be more proactive than that if he wants to play in the NHL. Same could be said about De La Rose. Sometimes I wonder if it is not because Swedes playing in their pro-league are used to play inside a thight system. It is all good, but if you try to make a team, you should show more.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
Thanks guys! I don't know where I took the certitude he was 24!

I agree it gives him more time. But I still think it's starting to be worrysome.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
I think Bowman having a 1g-1a night, the goal being a game winner, is a bad news! Because honnestly, the guy serves no purpose on the ice. No physicality, no speed, no passing, no defensive savvy, average shot. I would prefer to give a chance, even in the AHL, to a guy who at least have some upside in one aspect of the game.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Tinordi's 22 (born February 20, 1992).

But your points are valid.

Tinordi needs to be able to hone his skills here. Much of what you say is true with regards to his footwork. Continually playing at this level will smooth out those flaws. We don't need him to be that shutdown 4th just yet... he can be a 6-7 for a year or two and get enough icetime at this level to progress. He has already played some very strong games for us (last year) so I wouldn't panic just yet.
It would be a setback however if we have to ship him back to Ham.
Nobody wants/expects that...

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
Yesterday, I read a poster saying Habs must trade Andrighetto while his value is high because (paraphrasing) Habs won't be able to use what he brings in their lineup.

I didn't think much about it and I'm certainly not convinced, but after watching the game yesterday, I came to the conclusion that if the Habs are not trading Plek, Desharnais or Gallagher, or even 2 of these 3, there are no chance Habs will use both Thomas and Andrighetto in the lineup one day. Too similar, too small. Therefore I do think Bergevin should use at least one of them in a trade package.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Yesterday, I read a poster saying Habs must trade Andrighetto while his value is high because (paraphrasing) Habs won't be able to use what he brings in their lineup.

I didn't think much about it and I'm certainly not convinced, but after watching the game yesterday, I came to the conclusion that if the Habs are not trading Plek, Desharnais or Gallagher, or even 2 of these 3, there are no chance Habs will use both Thomas and Andrighetto in the lineup one day. Too similar, too small. Therefore I do think Bergevin should use at least one of them in a trade package.

Thomas will go and he won't fetch much because he's not worth much. Andrighetto is much more complete offensively and don't let yesterdays game fool you.. Hes a winger. Being at center was not so good for him to showcase what he does.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Moen and Bourque out.

We need room for Sekac and Bournival.

Or Thomas. Well it certainly looks that way after preseason game 1.

Though it's a bit of a sacrifice in terms of size & experience, but that seems to be the running theme starting with the departure of Gorges & Briere.

I'd like to see some of these young smaller guys light it up, maybe attract interest from rebuilding teams like Vancouver.

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
I am starting to wonder what is going to happen with the forward group if Sekac performs like this for the rest of pre-season plus Bournival staying with the big club. Even Thomas has been impressive too.

Pacioretty Desharnais Parenteau
Galchenyuk Plekanec Sekac
Bourque Eller Gallagher
Prust Malhotra Weise

Bournival / Moen / Thomas

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
People expecting DLR to wow anyone, need to temper their expectations.

He's fine...
He could start the year here if he had to with Sekac and Plecks and we wouldn't see a significant drop off. We can also assume both these guys can play with Eller. If the object is to find a player who can be responsible and better Gio's offensive output either of these Guys can.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
Thomas will go and he won't fetch much because he's not worth much. Andrighetto is much more complete offensively and don't let yesterdays game fool you.. Hes a winger. Being at center was not so good for him to showcase what he does.

Agree. I hope Thomas plays well during camp then light it up in the AHL to boost his value. Because with the way the team is shaping off for the next 2-4 years, I doubt there will be room for him.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
He's fine...
He could start the year here if he had to with Sekac and Plecks and we wouldn't see a significant drop off. We can also assume both these guys can play with Eller. If the object is to find a player who can be responsible and better Gio's offensive output either of these Guys can.

I doubt DLR can match Gio's 18 goals yet.

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
He's fine...

This is exactly what I meant when I said temper expectations. I know he's fine, but I don't see him getting close to 20 goals in the NHL this year. (or 18 if you want to be specific about Gio last year )

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I am starting to wonder what is going to happen with the forward group if Sekac performs like this for the rest of pre-season plus Bournival staying with the big club. Even Thomas has been impressive too.

Bourque Eller Gallagher
Prust Malhotra Weise

The BEG line and the GPS line...
not bad :laugh:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
This is exactly what I meant when I said temper expectations. I know he's fine, but I don't see him getting close to 20 goals in the NHL this year. (or 18 if you want to be specific about Gio last year )

I totally disagree...
His toolkit has far more utensils than a fading Gio.
Give him a little time to acclimatize and we shall see.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal

Bourque Eller Gallagher
Prust Malhotra Weise

Personnaly, I would prefer to re-unite Glachenyuk-Eller-Gallagher. It would start the year as the second unit for offense production, but could very well become the first line at christmas, if not before. And a third line of Bourque-Plek-Sekac wouldn't be bad at all (of course depending on which Bourque is playing!)

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
I totally disagree...
His toolkit has far more utensils than a fading Gio.
Give him a little time to acclimatize and we shall see.

Only 3 players on the team had more than 18 goals last year, and you think that DLR could do better in his first season, he who had problems producing in Sweden? Galchenyuk and Eller have more offrensive upside and more experience than DLR and neither reach 15 goals last season...

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Personnaly, I would prefer to re-unite Glachenyuk-Eller-Gallagher. It would s
tart the year as the second unit for offense production, but could very well become the first line at christmas, if not before. And a third line of Bourque-Plek-Sekac wouldn't be bad at all (of course depending on which Bourque is playing!)

MT may figure this out about a month in:sarcasm:
I think AG would be able to be more creative with Eller and Gallagher.
I'd also like to see AG/Eller alternating all over the ice (closest guy forcing the play)
If done properly it is hugely effective...

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Agree. I hope Thomas plays well during camp then light it up in the AHL to boost his value. Because with the way the team is shaping off for the next 2-4 years, I doubt there will be room for him.

I'd have to disagree. Thomas is a pure goal scorer and, with the way he plays, a threat to score both on the PP and at even strength (not saying he's fully capable, just stylistically). Pacioretty is the only real "finisher" on the team at this point in time and that's a big reason why our offence is so unproductive. If he can show that he can score at the pro level, he's absolutely got a spot on the team - smallish size or no.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad