Unbelievable goal by Mikael Granlund

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
Kaj Kunnas and Toni "söde" Söderholm in the back are awesome. Remember Söde is a teammate and a very good friend of Granlund.

Mertaranta is ok but Kunnas takes it to a whole new level. It's sad that these are the last WCs for both of them :cry:

What the hell? I'll stop watching WC if I can't listen to Kunnas.

Viking12

Oct 8, 2006
Name 1 who has pulled it after beating NHL-defender and how quickly he lifts the puck at full speed. WHC semifinals>NHL regular season game.

I can`t but then i don`t watch that much hockey. I just know i have seen several players do the move before. So as i said before a very impressive goal but i`m just surprised people are going this nutts over it.

As for the prestige of the WHC thats hard to argue but its clearly not a top tier torunement given how many of the top players that are missing for different teams. Personally i view it like the Euro league of hockey. And for does that don`t know what the Euro league is its a soccer tournament between the 2 tier teams form the different european leagues

Boucicaut what makes it more then a cool goal ?

Last edited:

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Boucicaut what makes it more then a cool goal ?

It's been said before but here it goes. It is the combination of several things that makes it unique: the setting, the situation, execution, flair and of course the young age of the player. Just a sublime combination.

Latex*

So many other good guys not there next year. Kunnas was speculating a bit that was it a high stick, but he was still awesome on that one.

Do we have to listen to these guys next year? :cry:

And is there even going to be commentating in Swedish in MTV3 channels?

Iomni

Oct 9, 2010
Finland
they said in finnish tv that referees can only watch videos for was it in or not, that they couldnt check was it a highstick? is this true

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
they said in finnish tv that referees can only watch videos for was it in or not, that they couldnt check was it a highstick? is this true
Nope.

Ps. It was Kekäläinen who said that.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki

Do we have to listen to these guys next year? :cry:

And is there even going to be commentating in Swedish in MTV3 channels?
I hope they somehow get Mertaranta there..isn't he freelancer!? MTV3 has the worst commentators in the planet and you can 99,9% forget about the swedish commentating.

YLE production hasn't been as good this year like in the past but even when they are bad they are way much better than MTV3. :help:

On positive side we don't have to listen to that "jenkkisiili Jussi Saarinen" with his "perfect" american accent in the player interviews

PhillyPhinn

Aug 5, 2007
Turku, Finland
I think a lot of "foreigners" aren't getting why us finns thinks the goal was so special. It wasn't about the "move", we've seen Rob Hisey&others do the same one in the SM-Liiga.

The reason we are getting so hyped up is that finnish players tend to be really conservative, shy away from taking chances, and always seem to crumble under pressure. It doesn't matter that the average Joe in NA doesn't care about the WHC, because for Granlund, as a finn, there will never be as much pressure put on him than playing for Finland in a WHC(or Olympics). So for a 19-year old kid who the whole nation is expecting to be saviour of finnish hockey, playing under bigger pressure he'll ever face in the NHL, to try a move like that in a scoreless game in the semi-finlans with the whole nation watching at home is very special because we aren't used to seeing that from finns.

I'm not a big fan of the "move" itself, but I am absolutely loving the fact that we may have a superstar in the making who doesn't hide under pressure, and can actually step up when needed.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
I think a lot of "foreigners" aren't getting why us finns thinks the goal was so special. It wasn't about the "move", we've seen Rob Hisey&others do the same one in the SM-Liiga.

The reason we are getting so hyped up is that finnish players tend to be really conservative, shy away from taking chances, and always seem to crumble under pressure. It doesn't matter that the average Joe in NA doesn't care about the WHC, because for Granlund, as a finn, there will never be as much pressure put on him than playing for Finland in a WHC(or Olympics). So for a 19-year old kid who the whole nation is expecting to be saviour of finnish hockey, playing under bigger pressure he'll ever face in the NHL, to try a move like that in a scoreless game in the semi-finlans with the whole nation watching at home is very special because we aren't used to seeing that from finns.

I'm not a big fan of the "move" itself, but I am absolutely loving the fact that we may have a superstar in the making who doesn't hide under pressure, and can actually step up when needed.

I approve this message.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009

Ave, great post.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
I am absolutely loving the fact that we may have a superstar in the making who doesn't hide under pressure, and can actually step up when needed.

That I can agree with. But I think most people applauding the move in awe have not seen it done before. I'm talking about my facebook friends etc. who suddenly became Granlund fans en masse and think that is the greatest move ever, not posters here who obviously have seen moves like that before and know that Granlund, while special, is not the second coming or anything like that.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
That I can agree with. But I think most people applauding the move in awe have not seen it done before. I'm talking about my facebook friends etc. who suddenly became Granlund fans en masse and think that is the greatest move ever, not posters here who obviously have seen moves like that before and know that Granlund, while special, is not the second coming or anything like that.

What does it really matter? Do we always have to be super negative and pessimistic? A little hype never seems to hurt the other nations. I mean the move itself was a relatively commonplace acrobatic trick, but the context where it was played was absolutely nothing but: I remember when Saku Koivu stepped up to take the leadership in the Finnish national team when absurdly young and this reminds me very much of that. Can't we for once be positive about positive things?? That was such an un-Finnish moment, pure selfconfidence and joy of just playing, just having fun on ice. And it would have been exceptional, incredible for any team, any nation. Had it been a Czech or a Canadian we would be now be endlessly moaning how we never are like that, but as it was a Finn many of us are endlessly moaning, that, no, it was not that special, he's overhyped and we will lose anyway. Can we just please stop that???

confused

May 14, 2011

I think that video clearly shows what makes that goal different/special if it's compared to the other "lacrosse" style goals. The way how he picked up the puck is just way more impressive than others..

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
I can do that with ease in warm up, almost in my sleep, even at full speed..... but to be able to pick it up the way he did, in a game situation and at that caliber of play is truly remarkable

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010

I think that video clearly shows what makes that goal different/special if it's compared to the other "lacrosse" style goals. The way how he picked up the puck is just way more impressive than others..

Picking it that way is lots of harder, but if you can do that (fast enough before you come from behind the goal and get layed out totally looking down) that technique lets you do it in faster speed...

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
If Granlund would have used the normal "against the ice" -technique to lift the puck, the closest defender would've been able to poke the puck away. That what makes it wonderful goal for me, to be able to think at that speed the only way possible to score, four russians in front of the goal and no teammates available. It was the only way to go, and Granlund noticed it in an instant. Thats elite speed of thinking if you ask me. Usually when lacrosse style goal is tried players know they'll be trying it when they go behind the goal and lift the puck against the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad