Unbelievable goal by Mikael Granlund

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
Granlund is already better than S. Koivu when he was young. That goal an assist was just sick.

Nope, not really that close to young Saku Koivu level. Still a very good player and should become a great NHL player, probably better than Koivu there.

ERC91

Apr 10, 2010
It was really close to being a high stick. I believe IIHF uses the cross bar for a high stick on a goal.

Yes as far as I know, both NHL (allthough I'm not completely sure here :help: ) and IIHF use the crossbar for it.

And for me it actually looks like he was over it and hence high sticking.

Nonetheless I think that the goal counting is ok because this rule definitely was meant to prevent everything else than moves like this.

And of course such great individual efforts should be spoiled by such a rule ;) .

PDO

Jan 12, 2005
Edmonton
I don't see why anyone has a problem with the goal but I also don't understand everyone utter amazement at the goal either. It was definitely a great goal, but after seeing the lacrosse style goal a couple of times it just feels "meh, seen it before" plus I feel like it is pretty gimmicky to begin with. It certainly is cool that he was able to do it at such a high level of competition though.

Seriously?

Find me one clip of a guy, in a game, at full speed, taking a quick chip at the puck to get it on end and slipping his stick under it before swinging the puck over the goalie from behind the net.

Here's a hint:

You won't.

You've clearly never actually played hockey in your life; the way he picked the puck up alone was ridiculous, never mind doing it at full speed and then having the coordination to finish it off.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Those russians standing in front of the net look confused. I can see them thinking "What.... WHAT?????!" (Mel Gibson version).

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Granlund's stick was above the crossbar and I initially didn't even think it would count as a goal. In the NHL, touching the puck above your shoulders stops play, and any puck touching a stick above the crossbar before it goes in doesn't count. According to IIHF rules (section 492) however, it counts as a goal; high sticking the puck is defined as "stopping or batting the puck with the stick above the height of the shoulders is
prohibited" which Granlund never did.

IIHF has funky highstick rules.

PDO

Jan 12, 2005
Edmonton
Granlund's stick was above the crossbar and I initially didn't even think it would count as a goal. In the NHL, touching the puck above your shoulders stops play, and any puck touching a stick above the crossbar before it goes in doesn't count. According to IIHF rules (section 492) however, it counts as a goal; high sticking the puck is defined as "stopping or batting the puck with the stick above the height of the shoulders is
prohibited" which Granlund never did.

IIHF has funky highstick rules.

You should read up on the rules.

All that matters is where the puck is; it was never above the crossbar.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Even though I hate Granlund just a little bit (used to be SM-liiga Kärpät prospect, stolen by HIFK) and wouldn't want to see him in the SM-liiga anymore, I think it would be best for him to play one more complete season here before going overseas. He needs to work on his skating and muscle.

They have better physique trainers in north america - to be honest there is nothing for him to learn in SM-Liiga anymore. Only thing he needs is vitamins in his cereal and professional physique training. Hence he should go to Minnesota now - but it will also be important that Minnesota don't rush him.
Give him a month or two to get him NHL ready in the AHL and then call him up.

Humppaknight

Dec 5, 2005
I Agree, now are right time to go. He hasn't nothing to learn in Finland anymore. He isn't ready player yet and has lot to learn, but I think that Minnesota are best place to do that.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
While they were both very nice goals too, look how Granlund gets the puck on his blade, ...this is what seperates them and makes his move even more unbelievable.

He beats 2 defenders aswell which will add cherrys on the cake.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich

Mertaranta just takes it to a whole new level. Even if you don't understand him, you know exactly what he means...He should be combined with the "golden radio voice" and building the most awesome announcer duo in the world....

Based on Looks and on energy level he seems to be the unknown brother of Juergen Klopp, Coach of Dortmund, this year's champion of the german football Bundesliga.

bg01_klopp_ddp_300.jpg

Viking12

Oct 8, 2006
I dont get it i mean its a great goal but its been done before so what with all the fans going crazy.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
I dont get it i mean its a great goal but its been done before so what with all the fans going crazy.

I guess hockey world just forgot about the rule that every goal to go crazy over has to be scored on previously unseen play.

Huge game, huge goal, huge prospect, huge noise. Simple as that.

So good for hockey.

Viking12

Oct 8, 2006
Well its not an unseen play im hardly more then a very casual hockey fan and i have seen that move done several time and i believe there are several videos in this thread to that show other players doing the same move.

As for it been a big game its not really the world championship is second rate it lacks the best players and seem to be valued far les the the NHL playoffs.

So young talented prospect pull of a great move in a second rate tournament is it cool to watch ? Hell yeah, but its still just a cool goal.

Viking12

Oct 8, 2006
Is there any particular part of what i just wrote that you disagree with ? Cause i think you will find it hard to disprove any of it.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Is there any particular part of what i just wrote that you disagree with ? Cause i think you will find it hard to disprove any of it.

Name 1 who has pulled it after beating NHL-defender and how quickly he lifts the puck at full speed. WHC semifinals>NHL regular season game.

Latex*

Kaj Kunnas and Toni "söde" Söderholm in the back are awesome. Remember Söde is a teammate and a very good friend of Granlund.

Mertaranta is ok but Kunnas takes it to a whole new level. It's sad that these are the last WCs for both of them :cry:

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004

Yes:
but its still just a cool goal.

Since that is your view, we have nothing further to discuss. But do feel free to stick to your opinion, it's a free world after all (and with a significant portion of the population e.g. believing in various fabled supernatural entities, so why not).

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
Kaj Kunnas and Toni "söde" Söderholm in the back are awesome. Remember Söde is a teammate and a very good friend of Granlund.

Mertaranta is ok but Kunnas takes it to a whole new level. It's sad that these are the last WCs for both of them :cry:
So many other good guys not there next year. Kunnas was speculating a bit that was it a high stick, but he was still awesome on that one.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
And also the face of Toni Söderholm (MG's teammate, commentator for Swedish Yle) on the back when he looks Mertsi go ballistics.

yeah, I recognize him, he played some years in the swiss league.

it's hilarious, but that's the face you normally do when expecting a highlight reel just going to happen right beside you...:)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad