Unbelievable goal by Mikael Granlund

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
Pretty cool to score that type of goal on such a big stage. His hands have never been a question mark, that's for certain.

Mara

May 10, 2011
Even though I hate Granlund just a little bit (used to be SM-liiga Kärpät prospect, stolen by HIFK) and wouldn't want to see him in the SM-liiga anymore, I think it would be best for him to play one more complete season here before going overseas. He needs to work on his skating and muscle.

TheMuumio

Nov 26, 2009
(used to be SM-liiga Kärpät prospect, stolen by HIFK)

They didn't steal him, Kärpät just messed up big time. :laugh:

But awesome goal, never thought anyone would try that at a game of such importance.

Mara

May 10, 2011

But awesome goal, never thought anyone would try that at a game of such importance.

Yes they stole him. ;) But yes there was some blame on our end as well. :D

ronnyweed

Aug 7, 2008
Ontario

not so much the importance of the game, but when he did it ... it was 0-0

I could see trying that if they were already up 3-0, but first goal of the game, and the game winner that took alot of guts and its awesome to see

hcdt

Feb 17, 2006
Granlund interview

This is quite "cold" answers he gives in an interview after the goal:

– Det är ett fint mål. Det är första målet så det är klart att det är viktigt för oss, säger han till Viasat.

It was a nice goal. It was first in a match so its of course important for us.

På frågan om hur han kunde vara så kylig gav han ett iskallt svar.

To question how he can be so composed and "cold" about it he gave a cold answer as well

– Varför skulle jag ha några nerver, varför skulle jag ha någon press? Det är bara en rolig match, säger supermålskytten.

Why should i have nerves, why should i have any pressure? Its just a fun match, he says.

And he is.. what 19? quite good nerves indeed i would say...

Random Oracle

Aug 3, 2005
Forsberg holds the "prettiest goal" in both WCH and the olympics. Granlunds was slick though

What was his goal in the WC? Or do you just mean his shootout goal in Lillehammer? It was obviously very pretty and hugely important, but I don't think any shootout goal can compare to a goal like Granlund's.

Tissotti

Apr 30, 2011
Helsinki
Please lets not go there. :D
"What's the pretties ever WCH goal"

It will no doubt become a classic, linked years to come. Lets leave it there.

Lennu

May 8, 2011
I'm sure he will. But people has been talking about him like he's a crippled midget or something so I'm just asking. Hasn't looked like a problem to me.

People are unknown, looking just statistics. I've seen 50+ games from Granlund this season and his problem surely isn't physical game. He's pretty good checker and can also receive hits. And not sure how you can say a guy is too small to NHL when he's almost 180cm/80kg(obviously not meaning you, this is just what I hear over and over again).

But what a goal? MG is just having fun in the ice. He has extremely huge self confidence and it shows. I guarantee we'll see same kind of awesomeness the next 20 years. His style to play just is that - trying impossible, something special. What a great, great player.

By the way, apparently he's staying next season in Finland but we'll see. I dare to say he dominated Finnish SM-liiga this season and brought victory to HIFK. Would love to see him play one more season in Finland and becoming better and better player.

Lainlight

Hands down AINEC
Jun 17, 2007
Columbus, OH
What was his goal in the WC? Or do you just mean his shootout goal in Lillehammer? It was obviously very pretty and hugely important, but I don't think any shootout goal can compare to a goal like Granlund's.

The shotout goal in the olympics is by far the better and clutch goal. Forsbergs tying goal in helsinki (2003 was it?) where he went from behind his own net to circle around all the finns to finish it with a wrap-aroumd was also prettier and as clutch.

Maelmoor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
What makes the goal even more brilliant is the game it's scored in, a semi-final against a strong russian side in World Championship when the score is 0-0 :handclap:

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Granlund is our great one. Wow.

I think this is the greatest goal ever scored in a game at this kind of level of competition and in a game of this kind of importance.

And that was done in fast situation, after deking the d-man out of the play.. in 0-0 situation.. in semi final... Granlund, we all love you!

Everyone in finland was expecting stuff like this from guy named ovechkin... and then came Granlund the great and made our night.. yes! :nod:

dangsLITE

Jan 16, 2011
NYC
Loved this kid since the draft. There's this one highlight video of him on Youtube I've watched like a dozen times. I knew that he's extremely creative, especially with his passing, but this just makes him even more awesome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad