Unbelievable goal by Mikael Granlund

tarheelredwing

May 3, 2009
easily the goal of the year. That was incredible with how smooth and quickly he performed the lax style goal.

Mkoll

Inkvisiittori
Jul 5, 2008
New Brunswick, Canada
I think a lot of "foreigners" aren't getting why us finns thinks the goal was so special. It wasn't about the "move", we've seen Rob Hisey&others do the same one in the SM-Liiga.

The reason we are getting so hyped up is that finnish players tend to be really conservative, shy away from taking chances, and always seem to crumble under pressure. It doesn't matter that the average Joe in NA doesn't care about the WHC, because for Granlund, as a finn, there will never be as much pressure put on him than playing for Finland in a WHC(or Olympics). So for a 19-year old kid who the whole nation is expecting to be saviour of finnish hockey, playing under bigger pressure he'll ever face in the NHL, to try a move like that in a scoreless game in the semi-finlans with the whole nation watching at home is very special because we aren't used to seeing that from finns.

I'm not a big fan of the "move" itself, but I am absolutely loving the fact that we may have a superstar in the making who doesn't hide under pressure, and can actually step up when needed.

Agreed. Excellent post.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
I don't know why NHLers don't try that. It's pretty effective if you can pick up the puck quickly.

You cannot execute it if there is any body contact at all. You have to have a free path to the net from behind the goal, and a goaltender who is down on his knees instead of standing up, like Barulin was.

The other thing is that it is a Harlem Globetrotters move that shows the other team up, so you would need to have a bodyguard to protect you against NHL assassins for a couple of years afterward. I hope for the sake of his frail young body that he never tries a showboat, put down move like that in the NHL!

cenas*

You cannot execute it if there is any body contact at all. You have to have a free path to the net from behind the goal, and a goaltender who is down on his knees instead of standing up, like Barulin was.

The other thing is that it is a Harlem Globetrotters move that shows the other team up, so you would need to have a bodyguard to protect you against NHL assassins for a couple of years afterward. I hope for the sake of his frail young body that he never tries a showboat, put down move like that in the NHL!

I think Granlund can take St. Louis..

FinnswissX

May 20, 2005
I have a simple question to all who consider this goal as nothing special and not very difficult to execute: if it's so easy why you never have seen a similar goal from any other player at a WHC?

I mean all other players even the most talented one try always to skate around the goal, keeping the puck on the surface and move the puck somehow between the legs of the goalie in the goal or around the post of the goal.
Nobody expected a move like this from Granlund especially not the russian player and the goalie they were all stunned.

Of course Granlund is not yet a complete player he still has to improve his skills but he shows how talented he is. You need really a very good puck and stick handling always keeping the balance and to manage that the puck doesn't fall to early from the stick end in order to score.

Granlund is not God and he will also have bad games or days when it doesn't work like he wishes. I hope he can show against Sweden again a solid and good performance and that he will not overhyped in Finland and can make his way with hard and solid work.

Matti_A

Sep 21, 2005
In the words of Nikolai Borschevsky: "Unbeleebabble!"

I normally dislike this move and I think it's hot-dogging and showing a bit of disrespect towards the opponent but I have to admit I jumped out of my seat screaming when he pulled it off. Kid's got brass balls I'll tell you that. To his credit this is probably the smoothest execution of the lacrosse move I have seen.

I think a lot of "foreigners" aren't getting why us finns thinks the goal was so special. It wasn't about the "move", we've seen Rob Hisey&others do the same one in the SM-Liiga.

The reason we are getting so hyped up is that finnish players tend to be really conservative, shy away from taking chances, and always seem to crumble under pressure. It doesn't matter that the average Joe in NA doesn't care about the WHC, because for Granlund, as a finn, there will never be as much pressure put on him than playing for Finland in a WHC(or Olympics). So for a 19-year old kid who the whole nation is expecting to be saviour of finnish hockey, playing under bigger pressure he'll ever face in the NHL, to try a move like that in a scoreless game in the semi-finlans with the whole nation watching at home is very special because we aren't used to seeing that from finns.

I'm not a big fan of the "move" itself, but I am absolutely loving the fact that we may have a superstar in the making who doesn't hide under pressure, and can actually step up when needed.

You got it mister. Mike Granlund is the complete opposite of the typical Finnish player when it comes to confidence and dealing with pressure, it's a joy to watch and he is no doubt the savior of finnish hockey.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Oh goodie, just when Koivu and Selanne reach the twilight of their careers, another Swede-killer emerges.:cry:

We will get schooled today, this is the best Finnish team in a loooong time - at the same time as the Swedish team is basically crap.:help:

Crazyhorse

Sep 2, 2006
Gothenburg
Oh goodie, just when Koivu and Selanne reach the twilight of their careers, another Swede-killer emerges.:cry:

We will get schooled today, this is the best Finnish team in a loooong time - at the same time as the Swedish team is basically crap.:help:

You are overworking the reverse psychology-angle, Nordic. I hope it works. ;)

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
You are overworking the reverse psychology-angle, Nordic. I hope it works. ;)

I always do, hehe... If I'm right I'm right, and if I'm wrong I'm happy about it anyway;)

But Finland seriously have the better team this year.

I'd give Sweden a 35% chance of winning, Finland 65%.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Seen that a few times before. Just one man's opinion but I think that should be an illegal play. Like traveling in Basketball, hockey isn't lacrosse.

He wouldn't skate around my net doing that lol.

Casper

30 goal grinder
Mar 23, 2010
MN
Seen that a few times before. Just one man's opinion but I think that should be an illegal play. Like traveling in Basketball, hockey isn't lacrosse.

Dont really understand why some people say this. Its not liked he picked up the puck with his hands. He controlled the puck with his stick. It was a display of his hockey IQ and puck talent. Great hockey play. Making a rule about how a player can control the puck with his stick is backwards thinking.

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland

Problem with ur logic is that anyone can grab a basketball, but how do you grab a puck with a hockey stick?

Last edited:

SaunaMajuri

May 17, 2011
Tampere Finland
That goal is unique. You guys think too much technical part of it. Think of a situation when someone makes such a goal in the seventh game of the NHL conference finals.

That was a high stake game and it was tied 0-0 when Granlund suddently make his way back of a net. Tells a lot about the player while doing something like that, and in such a game.

Amazing goal :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad